PDA

View Full Version : NHL Returns!

KirFrid
Saturday, July 23rd, 2005, 05:15 PM
Any NHL hockey fans here? What are your favourite teams? What do you think of the whole mess last season? Deals for this coming season?

I am a Sens fan all the way, though Vancouver and Toronto are alright too (if they didn't have a fool for a coach :rofl:). Anyways, I'd like to hear what you have to say!
Go Sens Go!

Death and the Sun
Saturday, July 23rd, 2005, 09:58 PM
I don't really follow the NHL that much, although I am a hockey fan to some degree. I think paying athletes ridiculous sums like $17 million per season is just mad, and it'll inevitable corrupt the sport from within. Besides, in like all American professional sports, there's way too much pointless spectacle and razzmatazz involed (I still think of the day they introduced cheerleaders into the Finnish Championship league as the day I ceased taking it seriously).

I also dislike the way the NHL is trying to bring a WWF aspect into the game like it were a good thing. :speechles

Having said that, I would say that my favourite MHL teams would be the Montreal Canadiens and the Edmonton Oilers -- mainly because of the illustrious Finnish players they've had. :bier:

Do you follow the EHL (European Hockey League) at all, KirFrid?

newenstad
Sunday, July 24th, 2005, 09:50 PM
My favourite teams are the NY Islanders (NHL) and the Vienna Capitals (one of the few good things of Vienna)

The different international leagues in Europe suck...IMO

KirFrid
Sunday, July 24th, 2005, 10:23 PM
Do you follow the EHL (European Hockey League) at all, KirFrid?

Nah, unfortunately I can't. None of the channels our tv has shows the games. Would you say world championship teams best represent the European talent? I know with Canada a lot of times the players they select are just based on reputation. Seriously they could be using a ton of lesser known players that would be way more effective. Too bad young guys with the talents similar to Eric Brewer and the Sedin twins don't often get selected in national teams. You'll get one or two great guys and the rest of the team makes ya wonder:speechles Finland usually puts out a good team for the Olympics and world championships though so its easy to believe there's plenty of young talent over there.

I don't really follow the NHL that much, although I am a hockey fan to some degree. I think paying athletes ridiculous sums like $17 million per season is just mad, and it'll inevitable corrupt the sport from within.

Yeah, I agree with you there. Look what happened in Ottawa with Yashin:annoysigr Not to mention, players like him aren't even worth that amount of money. Luckily this year teams have started paying their players less ridiculous wages than they used to. NHL hockey is definitely becoming corrupt, not just because of the pay though.

Speaking of cheerleaders, the american teams that have brought em in ridiculous as hell. And like you said, they're trying way too hard to compete with WWE and the NFL for viewers. All they get out of that is slower paced hockey. Fights are good and all but not when you have teams like the Flyers or the Devils that spend more time in the penatly box than on the ice (kind of like what we had with Andre Roy). Maybe if they made ticket prices CHEAPER instead of contantly jacking up the damned prices, people would actually go to more games instead of having half empty arenas.

newenstad
Sunday, July 24th, 2005, 10:28 PM
I love this fights. There were more fights in Europe because of the Lock out...

Death and the Sun
Sunday, July 24th, 2005, 11:23 PM
Would you say world championship teams best represent the European talent? I know with Canada a lot of times the players they select are just based on reputation. Seriously they could be using a ton of lesser known players that would be way more effective. Too bad young guys with the talents similar to Eric Brewer and the Sedin twins don't often get selected in national teams. You'll get one or two great guys and the rest of the team makes ya wonder:speechles Finland usually puts out a good team for the Olympics and world championships though so its easy to believe there's plenty of young talent over there.

Well, the NHL is in its final rounds around the same time they have the world cup, so all the best players from all countries are tied up there. I'd say the Winter Olympics are the real "world cup" for hockey.

newenstad
Sunday, July 24th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Thats true. Every year there is a World Cup, so ot isnīt very special at all. Many of the players are tired and want to spent the off season with their families or their friends...or smacking some glasses..