PDA

View Full Version : The word "fail" should be banned from use in British classrooms

anonymaus
Thursday, July 21st, 2005, 04:33 AM
Original: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/britain_failure_dc;_ylt=AnEnVTAtRuhZuySW K3blc6Cs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3ODdxdHBhBHNlYw M5NjQ-

Get ready to e-mail this one to your friends...

Wed Jul 20

LONDON (Reuters) - The word "fail" should be banned from use in British classrooms and replaced with the phrase "deferred success" to avoid demoralizing pupils, a group of teachers has proposed.

Members of the Professional Association of Teachers (PAT) argue that telling pupils they have failed can put them off learning for life.

A spokesman for the group said it wanted to avoid labeling children. "We recognize that children do not necessarily achieve success first time," he said.

"But I recognize that we can't just strike a word from the dictionary," he said.

The PAT said it would debate the proposal at a conference next week.

I get the distinct feeling this proposal will be a deferred success.

That is the real title of the article. The sarcasm is terrific :D

DreamWalker
Thursday, July 21st, 2005, 05:54 AM
I get the distinct feeling this proposal will be a deferred success.

I have had a lot of 1st dates with deferred success;)

Death and the Sun
Thursday, July 21st, 2005, 02:56 PM
How about replacing "failure" with "doubleplusunsuccess"?!? :O

newenstad
Thursday, July 21st, 2005, 06:13 PM
some of my teachers used something like "deffered success" and signs instead of marks.. :gay:

Mistress Klaus
Friday, July 22nd, 2005, 08:56 AM
This world gets more LAME ARSE by the day.:rolleyes:
Back in my day, if you got anything below 50% students bloody well got a big FAIL and rightfully deserved it!.:laugh: It was mean't to wake the dunces up.

newenstad
Friday, July 22nd, 2005, 06:39 PM
I heard teachers should use green colour instead of red because green is not so "agressive"..

RedJack
Friday, July 22nd, 2005, 07:37 PM
People who make proposals like this should be laughed out of the teaching profession.:gay: