PDA

View Full Version : Female Suicide Bomber Strikes at Israel-Gaza Border

Evolved
Thursday, January 15th, 2004, 12:22 AM
Palestinian Attacker and Four Israelis Killed
By Nidal al-Mughrabi, Reuters

http://www.skadi.net/~ladygoeth/ReemAlReyashi.jpg

EREZ CROSSING, Gaza Strip (Jan. 14) -- A Palestinian mother of two blew herself up at the main border crossing between Israel and the Gaza Strip Wednesday, killing four Israelis and wounding seven people. The militant Islamic group Hamas and the al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades claimed joint responsibility for the suicide bombing, which they said was to avenge Israel's killing of Palestinians, and vowed to escalate attacks.

Smiling as she cradled an assault rifle in a videotape she left, Reem Al-Reyashi, 22, professed love for her children, a 3-1/2-year-old boy and a girl of 1-1/2 years, before an attack she said was meant to turn her body into ''deadly shrapnel.''

The Hamas militant blew herself up in a terminal where Palestinian laborers from the fenced-in Strip were being put through Israeli security checks before entering a nearby industrial complex.

''Glass and black smoke flew everywhere. Arabs were screaming, Jews were screaming,'' said a Palestinian witness, her clothes stained with the blood of others.

The army said the dead included three soldiers and one Israeli civilian. Four Palestinians were among the wounded.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20040114/mdf446718.jpg

Smiling at times in a videotape that showed her cradling a rifle, 22-year-old
Reem Al-Reyashi said she had dreamed since she was 13 of 'becoming a
martyr' and dying for her people.

It was the first suicide attack since a December 25 bombing killed four Israelis near Tel Aviv, and raised further doubts about prospects for reviving a U.S.-backed peace ''road map.''

Israel has often responded to such attacks with air strikes. But its only move for now was to close the industrial zone for a few days, keeping 3,000 Palestinian laborers away from jobs.

Hamas, the main group behind a campaign of suicide bombings, said it sent a woman for the first time because of growing Israeli security ''obstacles'' facing its male bombers. Smaller militant groups have deployed female bombers several times.

'RESISTANCE WILL ESCALATE'

''Resistance will escalate against this enemy until they leave our land,'' Hamas founder Sheikh Ahmed Yassin said in Gaza.

Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qurie did not condemn the bombing as he has after attacks in Israel. Instead he said Israel's military crackdown ''does not help to achieve quiet'' and called for a mutual cease-fire.

Witnesses said the bomber was faking a limp when she set off a metal detector operated by Israeli security personnel at Erez.

Moments before, a Palestinian woman laborer standing in the queue had offered Reyashi a helping hand. ''She looked at her, she thanked her and told her to back off,'' one witness said.

''She managed to hoodwink the soldiers by saying she had a metal surgical implant,'' Israeli Brigadier-General Gadi Shamni said. ''A female soldier was sent for to search her. She used this opportunity to enter the building...and blow herself up.''

Wearing a green Hamas sash and headband, Reyashi, from a middle-class merchant family in Gaza, said in a farewell video she had dreamed since she was 13 of ''becoming a martyr.''

She concluded by saying: ''God gave me two children and I loved them so much. Only God knew how much I loved them.''

Israel has accused Palestinians of glorifying suicide bombers and international human rights organizations have called the bombings crimes against humanity. Palestinians say Israel's military crackdown provokes such violence.

Outside Reyashi's home, her husband of five years sat crying. A relative said the family had not known of her plans.

Al-Aqsa, an offshoot of the Fatah movement of Palestinian President Yasser Arafat and Qurie, also said it was responsible for killing an Israeli settler, a father of five, in a roadside ambush near a Jewish settlement in the West Bank Tuesday.

Yassin said last Friday that Hamas, sworn to Israel's destruction, would consider a ''temporary peace'' if a Palestinian state was created in all of the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

Despite that, Hamas officials have denied suggestions by Israeli security officials that a lull in Hamas bombings indicated the group had declared a halt to such attacks.

01-14-04 11:49 EST (http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20040114031309990004)

Phlegethon
Thursday, January 15th, 2004, 12:36 AM
Allahu akhbar!

Evolved
Thursday, January 15th, 2004, 12:50 AM
She made her dream came true, gotta respect that. ;)

cosmocreator
Thursday, January 15th, 2004, 12:54 AM
LG you've taken quite the interest in things Islam. :idolize Hope you're not getting ideas.

Ewergrin
Thursday, January 15th, 2004, 01:39 AM
She made her dream came true, gotta respect that. ;)

She deserves respect for knowingly and willingly leaving her children motherless, while there are plenty of able-bodied young Palestinian men perfectly capable of blowing themselves up in the name of Allah do to it instead?

As much as I like to see Israeli's die, I have to be suspect of a system that would allow this to happen. Did she think that by her being female, the Israelis would learn some sort of a lesson? She even injured four Palestinians.

Does't sound too noble or honorable to me.

Phlegethon
Thursday, January 15th, 2004, 02:20 AM
She deserves respect for knowingly and willingly leaving her children motherless,
The tight-knit family structure of the Palestinian community can compnsate that. Apart from that death has a different meaning in a place where mass killings are an everyday occurance.

while there are plenty of able-bodied young Palestinian men perfectly capable of blowing themselves up in the name of Allah do to it instead?
A male person would not have gotten that far as Palestinian males are automatically suspicious and often just get shot because they look suspicious and are at the wrong place at the wrong time; no questions asked. The Palestinian society is very patriarchalic. If they resort to females for certain missions you can bet it is the last resort.

Does't sound too noble or honorable to me.
Special situations require special solutions. Deem yourself lucky that you live in a place where you still have other options available. The palestinians don't.

Evolved
Thursday, January 15th, 2004, 02:40 AM
Killing in the name of God is sick, but it's the story of humanity. Even if we all were atheist, we'd find some other excuse to oppress and murder each other.

The Palestinians only put an Islamic spin on their political/ethnic cause to gain support from other Muslims (who otherwise dislike them). Supporters in the West choose to see them more as freedom fighters, which is what they are. Since Palestinians are not really a strictly Islamic people or nation, they haven't even got a right according to Islamic law to wage jihad.

There are a lot of misguided young women in ZOG's army in Iraq willing to die for Jewish and capitalist interests. :(

Phlegethon
Thursday, January 15th, 2004, 03:13 AM
The first Palestinian resistance groups were founded by Christians (PFLP, DFLP, Fatah). Most of the other muslim resistance groups (except Hizb Allah) are supported by Syria which is governed by the Syrian Baath party which also was started by a Christian (Michel Aflaq).

AngryPotato
Thursday, January 15th, 2004, 05:26 AM
I feel psychic and can see the headline tomorrow. 'Israeli gunship destroys house/car with terrorist leader' 14 killed including 3 children.

I could care less if its Palestinians blowing up Israelis or the opposite. I don't see how a mother would knowingly abandon her children like this. The israelis will blow up some random Palestinian opposition leader and then bulldoze her familys house. So now the children will be motherless and homeless. Arabs need to rise up and push the jew into the sea or abide by peace agreements and slowly get freedoms. I don't see any middle ground there.

Its my damn American thinking.