PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Has Knowledge on the ϟϟ-Ahnenerbe?

IvyLeaguer
Wednesday, June 29th, 2005, 07:25 AM
I hope someone can help me out. Does anyone on here have one of those SS books that lists all Ahnenerbe members, when they joined, and any other relevant information about those members?

The other day I happened upon a book called "Foundations of Tibetan Buddhism" by Lama Anagarika Govinda. As I was reading, the author started discussing Nordic mythology and then devoted an entire chapter to the Holy Grail and the Philosopher's Stone. I am pretty convinved that this author must have had some sort of Ahnenerbe past. I found out through the internet that the author's real name had been Ernst Lothar Hoffmann and that he was born in 1898. I also learned that he studied at three European universities (have no idea which ones) and that he earned an archeology scholarship which enabled him to travel. Given his age, it is a pretty good bet that he may have been in the SS-Ahnenerbe.

If anyone has one of those books, could you please let me know more info on this person? I want to use this man's work as a source but I also need to know who exactly this guy was and why he seemed to be hiding his identity.

Thanks in advance to anyone out there who can help me.

White Iceland
Thursday, July 7th, 2005, 01:18 AM
This is of interest:

http://www.angelfire.com/realm/bodhisattva/govinda.html

He was interned as a German national by the British during World War II...

In 1933 Govinda founded the Order of the Arya Maitreya Mandala...

The modern biographers seem ready to skip over any nationalist sympathies, but reading between the lines, it seems quite likely.

I found a library catalog listing for the oldest publication mentioned (1940) and the publisher info and notes do not reveal any such affiliations:

Some aspects of stupa symbolism
Allahabad, London, Kitabistan

One illustration accompanied by transparent leaf with outline drawing./ "The substance of the first course of lectures organized by the International Buddhist university association at Tagore's university, 'Visvabharati, Santintiniketan. The Indian society of Oriental art published these lectures in its Journal" (vol. II, no. 2, December 1934, and vol. IV, no. 1, June 1936)

Wissen ist Macht
Thursday, July 7th, 2005, 08:34 AM
I hope someone can help me out. Does anyone on here have one of those SS books that lists all Ahnenerbe members, when they joined, and any other relevant information about those members?
At least, the 1938/1939 edition of the Dienstaltersliste der SS indicates who of the SS-leaders was in the Ahnenerbe. To extract a list of Ahnenerbe-members from this Dienstaltersliste, one would have to go through the thousands of names and write them all out... ;)
[edit 2005-07-17: I confused something there, the list indicates Lebensborn membership, not Ahnenerbe membership ;) ]

The other day I happened upon a book called "Foundations of Tibetan Buddhism" by Lama Anagarika Govinda. As I was reading, the author started discussing Nordic mythology and then devoted an entire chapter to the Holy Grail and the Philosopher's Stone. I am pretty convinved that this author must have had some sort of Ahnenerbe past. I found out through the internet that the author's real name had been Ernst Lothar Hoffmann and that he was born in 1898. I also learned that he studied at three European universities (have no idea which ones) and that he earned an archeology scholarship which enabled him to travel. Given his age, it is a pretty good bet that he may have been in the SS-Ahnenerbe.
Such a man is not listed in any of the SS-Dienstalterslisten.

IvyLeaguer
Saturday, July 9th, 2005, 11:40 PM
Thank you very much for your responses.

perkele14
Sunday, July 10th, 2005, 12:58 AM
Having read "Himmlerin Salaseura" [Himmler´s secret society] by Yrjö Grönhagen and his account on e.g. Karl Maria
Willigut/Weisthor I can´t help thinking that if the word "eccentric" had not existed it would had had to be invented just for them...:D

IvyLeaguer
Monday, July 11th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Do you happen to know if that Finnish book you just mentioned has been translated into either Swedish, German, or English yet? Thanks

IvyLeaguer
Monday, July 11th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Having read "Himmlerin Salaseura" [Himmler´s secret society] by Yrjö Grönhagen and his account on e.g. Karl Maria
Willigut/Weisthor I can´t help thinking that if the word "eccentric" had not existed it would had had to be invented just for them...:D

Well, I guess I'm rather eccentric myself. There are about 5 people from that era I would have loved to go back in time and have met. Weisthor would have been one of those.

IvyLeaguer
Saturday, July 16th, 2005, 10:29 PM
I wanted to add a follow-up message to anyone who is interested.

I just spoke with someone in Germany who owns a book listing those SS members who had these Totenkopfringe. If Hoffmann were an SS-Ahnenerbe member, then it's highly likely he would have owned one of those. (I had no idea there was a book that listed that, but obviously there is.) Interestingly enough, there actually is a listing for an Ernst Hoffmann who held the rank of Obersturmfuehrer. His SS number was 20186.

That was the only information we could find on any SS member with that name, so if someone can help any further now with this new information I have presented, I would be very grateful. Thank you!

Wissen ist Macht
Sunday, July 17th, 2005, 09:52 AM
I wanted to add a follow-up message to anyone who is interested.

I just spoke with someone in Germany who owns a book listing those SS members who had these Totenkopfringe. If Hoffmann were an SS-Ahnenerbe member, then it's highly likely he would have owned one of those. (I had no idea there was a book that listed that, but obviously there is.) Interestingly enough, there actually is a listing for an Ernst Hoffmann who held the rank of Obersturmfuehrer. His SS number was 20186.

That was the only information we could find on any SS member with that name, so if someone can help any further now with this new information I have presented, I would be very grateful. Thank you!

IvyLeaguer,
there indeed was a SS-Obersturmführer named Ernst Hoffmann. He isn't the man you are looking for, though, as he was born 1909-06-16!

IvyLeaguer
Sunday, July 17th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Thanks! I really appreciate your help on this. He must not have been a member then.

perkele14
Sunday, July 17th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Do you happen to know if that Finnish book you just mentioned has been translated into either Swedish, German, or English yet? Thanks

I have no idea. Yrjö Von Grönhagen lived very close to Weisthor, and met quite a many associates of his. Later on he made a trip to Karelia with a German fellow to record some of the last rune-singers etc. So it is basically a travellers report /autobiography kind of book. Published first 1947 if I remember correctly.

albion
Monday, July 18th, 2005, 03:15 AM
http://www.germaniainternational.com/images/ahnenerbehead01.jpg
Deutches Ahnenerbe
http://www.germaniainternational.com/ahnenerbe.html