PDA

View Full Version : Beowulf: Old Book I Bought (William Ellery Leonard Translation)

Vanir
Sunday, June 12th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Just showing off this very old copy of Beowulf I managed to buy, I'm very pleased about it. It is a copy of the William Ellery Leonard translation from the 1920's, with awesome illustrations by Lynn Ward. Old English poetry captures more of an distant character, as though the tale were occurring in a dream-haze, unlike the Scandinavian which is very clipped and precise at times, a different style ("He gripped the axe handle so hard his knuckles turned white" a good example iirc) Lynn Wards suitably captures this quality IMHO which I really like.

Anyway, I hope to pass this book on to my first son. I'd like it to be passed along and become an heirloom. Art from this version is featured on www.heorot.dk that best Beowulf site on the internet, and I can see why the owner of that site showcased it. It is the perfectly produced edition of the poem :)

Anyway, just showing it off because I am so absurdly pleased at having acquired it!

Anders

RedJack
Sunday, June 12th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Congratulations on a great buy. I especially respect the fact that you intend this to be a family heirloom. :beer-smil

infoterror
Monday, June 13th, 2005, 01:52 AM
That's a beautiful version of a favorite book. Heroic epics bring out the best in Indo-Europeans.

Blutwölfin
Thursday, July 7th, 2005, 12:39 AM
Beowulf (http://www.blackmask.com/cgi-bin/links/jump.cgi?ID=d7776) (.zip-file)