PDA

View Full Version : Movie Review: "The Machinist"

Death and the Sun
Wednesday, June 8th, 2005, 05:05 PM
WARNING: THIS REVIEWS CONTAINS SPOILERS

"The Machinist" is a brilliant film about a man driven insane by guilt.

Christian Bale plays Trevor Reznik, a factory worker who has not been able to sleep for an entire year. In addition to the insomnia, he is losing weight in a frightening pace: by the end of the film, he reaches less than 120 pounds.

The bulk of the film concentrates on Reznik's downward spiral of insanity: his paranoid delusions, his doomed affair with a prostitute and his strained relationships with his co-workers. Just before the film becomes repetitive, we are shown Reznik's terrible secret, one he has denied even to himself.

It's a pity that the plot structure is so similar tp "Fight Club" or the Stephen King thriller "The Secret Window" -- nevertheless, "The Machinist" does manage to keep up the viewer's interest.

The final lesson is a comforting one: it's always better to face the consequences of one's actions, rather than to flee from them.

Also starring is the always terrific Jennifer Jason Leigh.

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/paramount_classics/the_machinist/_group_photos/christian_bale1.jpg

http://www.bbspot.com/Images/News_Features/2004/10/the_machinist.jpg

RoyBatty
Thursday, June 9th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Thank you for the review, I must see this film. Christian Bale is usually excellent and I'm a lifelong fan of Vic Morrow's daughter, ever since I saw her in "The Hitcher".

Death and the Sun
Tuesday, June 14th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Thank you for the review, I must see this film. Christian Bale is usually excellent and I'm a lifelong fan of Vic Morrow's daughter, ever since I saw her in "The Hitcher".

Aah, "The Hitchhiker".

JJL is a talented and sexy actress, but it is the guy in your avatar who makes this movie so terrific. Definitely one of the most underrated baddie/psycho characters ever. :viking1:

anonymaus
Wednesday, June 15th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Just saw this a couple nights ago. Jennifer Jason Leigh is either a real life whore or a very good actress, because she was very convincing! ;)

Christian Bale is an easy actor to watch, he's understatedly intense and seems very comfortable on camera. Michael Ironside made this movie for me, though, as he usually does; he always gives off the feeling that he could just snap and punch/maim/kill you :D

Great concept, but the plot itself was a bit lame and the structure, as Eldritch said, is rather similar to fight club. It has some schlocky moments and a fair share of poor directing, but i thought it was still worth watching for the performances.

Oh yes, and the entire thing was completely obvious to me by the end of the first 10 minutes. So I guess I ruined the psychological-thriller aspect for myself :P