PDA

View Full Version : Thor's Oak

Vanir
Tuesday, June 7th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Wouldn't it be a good idea to plant an Oak on as close to the same spot as verifiably possible?!

Thor's Oak was an ancient tree sacred to the Germanic tribe of the Catti, ancestors of today's Hessians, and one of the most important sacred sites of the Germans. The tree stood at a location near the village of Geismar, today part of the town of Fritzlar, and was the main point of veneration of the Germanic deity Thor by the Catti and most other German tribes. Its felling in 723 marked the beginning of the Christianization of the non-Frankish Germans.

In 723, the Anglo-Saxon missionary Winfrid -- later called St. Boniface, Apostle of the Germans -- arrived in the area in his quest to convert the northern German tribes, using the nearby Frankish fortified settlement of Büraburg as his base. He had the oak felled to prove the superiority of the Christian god over Thor and the Germanic deities, and when Thor did not respond by hurling a lightning bolt at him, the assembled local people agreed to be baptized. Boniface used the wood of the oak to build a chapel in Fritzlar, founded a Benedictine monastery, and established the first bishopric in Germany at Büraburg, located on a prominent hill opposite Fritzlar across the Eder river. The first abbot of Fritzlar, St. Wigbert, built a stone basilica at the site of the wooden chapel which was, after its destruction by Saxon rebels in 1079, replaced in 1180-1200 by the large Romanesque-Gothic cathedral of St. Peter that today dominates the town.

The bishopric of Büraburg was not renewed after the death of Witta in 747, the first and only bishop of Büraburg, but was incorporated instead into the bishopric (later archbishopric) of Mainz by Lullus, Boniface's successor as archbishop of Mainz.Source (http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Tryggvi%27s+Oak&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1)

White Iceland
Saturday, June 11th, 2005, 01:15 AM
I am sure the surrounding area has a few great oaks today that sprung up on their own...

I was reading through half a dozen articles about Irminsul and great trees felled by the early Christian "heroes." These symbols have long been of interest to me...

Here is a thread I followed on usenet ages ago...

What are the historical facts surrounding the existence of a sacred tree near Paderborn, Germany? I have seen scattered references to this tree being in the Tuteborg (sp?) Forest, being near Externsteine, connected with the old god Irminsul, being cut down by Charlemagne, being considered by Germanic tribes to be Yggdrasil, etc.

Certainly there is much confusion due to the fact that there were many sacred trees, many of these cut down by early christians, but which one was closest to Wewelsburg? I will cull out six or so citations on this topic if I can get some serious discussion going. Occult Roots of Nazism, Unholy Alliance, Spear of Destiny and a number of Nordic history/religion studies.

The recurrence of this theme would seem to warrant its consideration.

-----
I am only recently acquainted with the Heathen Front. I have read much of Kerry Bolton and a little David Myatt and have heard of Vikernes, but only last night I was looking for information on Wulf Sorensen and found an English version of Voice of Our Ancestors. How sure are we that this is Himmler? It was quite a nice work. Very good of Heathen Front to provide access to it. I know now that 1984 Press from England has a German edition of another Sorensen book. I'm surprised these writings never came to my attention before. I suppose there is a revived interest.

I will also throw out that St. Boniface cut down a great "Oak of Jupiter in Hesse" during the eighth century and continued such work "to the terror of the Frisians, until he himself was felled at Dockum by an outraged pagan," (first quote, Davidson, Lost Beliefs of Northern Europe; second quote, Cotterell, Norse Mythology).

As I say, there are dozens of such facts. I look forward to an English treatment of Vikernes' article.

------

Recently received a copy of The Black Sun by Peter Moon. This title comes off as a collection of weirdness, being book IV in a series on Montauk. That’s another story. Anyway, the author did peruse a number of books, including most of those in the original post. He had the following to say in chapt. 6, Teutonic Heritage:

Externsteine is given short shrift by historians, and most people are unaware of its existence… The nomadic reindeer hunters in early history considered this location to be their sanctuary. Externsteine was also a center for pagan rituals until the eighth century. These rituals centered around the great tree of life called Irmensul. This tree was an actual tree at one time but was eventually cut down by Christians.

They celebrated this act by depicting the tree in a relief carving on one of the rocks. The rock depicted the original tree as a stool used by Nicodemus as he lifts down the body of Jesus from the cross. In other words, the tree was minimized by comparison to Christ and was only a stepping stone to the great work of Christianity (p. 68).

Helene Guerber in her Myths of the Northmen, 1909, states: In some parts of Germany Odin was considered to be identical with the Saxon god Irmin, whose statue, the Irminsul, near Paderborn, was destroyed by Charlemagne in 772 (p. 30). I will try to cull more references from obscure books as this topic continues to stimulate discussion.

---

WarMaiden
Saturday, June 11th, 2005, 02:40 AM
Anyone live near Geismar?
Wouldn't it be a good idea to plant an Oak on as close to the same spot as verifiably possible?! 1300 years later the Oak is back! I just think it would demonstrate the resilience and constitution I know that heathenism has...

Source (http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Thor%27s+Oak&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1)

To see an Oak being replanted in Geismar would be wonderful, i'm sure there has to be someone who lives close enough to replant there!!!

Good Idea

Hails~

moles
Saturday, June 19th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Great idea! And I thank the Gods for outraged pagans.