PDA

View Full Version : The Swedish Mentality

Northern Paladin
Monday, January 10th, 2005, 05:29 AM
I'm thinking of buying this book in order to better understand Swedes and their culture. To me the topic of this book is really interesting and that is certain personality traits and certain aspects of culture can be traced to race.

Here's a Review of the Book Swedish Mentality:

Is there a distinctly Swedish national character? Are Swedes truly shy, unemotional, conflict-avoiding, melancholy, and dour? Swedish Mentality, the English translation of the hugely successful book published in Sweden in 1989, considers the reality behind the myth. The author, Ake Daun, is a respected ethnologist who is sometimes referred to as the "guru" of Swedish character.

In recent years, it has become popular to discuss Swedishness and Swedish identity. The advent of the European Union and the increasing presence of immigrant refugees in Sweden have fueled public debate on the distinctiveness of Swedish culture. Daun, however, goes beyond stereotype, drawing upon statistics gathered over more than a decade of research. The result is an entertaining and engagingly written book. Throughout, Daun quotes from interviews with native Swedes and immigrants as well as from travel accounts, folklore, and proverbs. We learn why some Swedes might prefer to walk up a flight of stairs rather than share an elevator with a neighbor and why some gain satisfaction from walking alone in the woods or going fishing.

Daun describes a range of factors influencing Swedish character, including population composition, rural background, and even climate. He recognizes behavioral variations related to gender, age, class, and region, and he considers subtleties of individual character as well.

Swedish Mentality should interest a wide array of readers, whether of Swedish descent or not.

Ake Daun is Professor and Head of the Institute of Ethnology at Stockholm University and the Nordic Museum. He is the author of many books in Swedish, but this is his first to be available in English.

For you Swedes out there do you agree with what Daun has to say?

NSFreja
Tuesday, January 11th, 2005, 09:32 AM
I'm thinking of buying this book in order to better understand Swedes and their culture. To me the topic of this book is really interesting and that is certain personality traits and certain aspects of culture can be traced to race.

Is there a distinctly Swedish national character? Are Swedes truly shy, unemotional, conflict-avoiding, melancholy, and dour? Swedish Mentality, the English translation of the hugely successful book published in Sweden in 1989, considers the reality behind the myth. The author, Ake Daun, is a respected ethnologist who is sometimes referred to as the "guru" of Swedish character.

In recent years, it has become popular to discuss Swedishness and Swedish identity. The advent of the European Union and the increasing presence of immigrant refugees in Sweden have fueled public debate on the distinctiveness of Swedish culture. Daun, however, goes beyond stereotype, drawing upon statistics gathered over more than a decade of research. The result is an entertaining and engagingly written book. Throughout, Daun quotes from interviews with native Swedes and immigrants as well as from travel accounts, folklore, and proverbs. We learn why some Swedes might prefer to walk up a flight of stairs rather than share an elevator with a neighbor and why some gain satisfaction from walking alone in the woods or going fishing.

Daun describes a range of factors influencing Swedish character, including population composition, rural background, and even climate. He recognizes behavioral variations related to gender, age, class, and region, and he considers subtleties of individual character as well.

Swedish Mentality should interest a wide array of readers, whether of Swedish descent or not.

Ake Daun is Professor and Head of the Institute of Ethnology at Stockholm University and the Nordic Museum. He is the author of many books in Swedish, but this is his first to be available in English.

For you Swedes out there do you agree with what Daun has to say? Better you read that one first and then ask...

/M

Oskorei
Wednesday, January 12th, 2005, 12:55 AM
Is there a distinctly Swedish national character? Are Swedes truly shy, unemotional, conflict-avoiding, melancholy, and dour?

Short answer: Yes.

Maybe not dour though. And we are not really unemotional, it's just that we can control our emotions in public. We are also conflict-avoiding, but only to a certain point. But the shyness and the melancholy is true.

FadeTheButcher
Wednesday, January 12th, 2005, 01:48 AM
Why is Sweden such a left-wing country? Christianity?

cosmocreator
Wednesday, January 12th, 2005, 06:28 AM

No, racial. Nords are altruistic. This is great when Nords live only amongst themselves but is disasterous when Nords live with other races.

Naggaroth
Wednesday, January 12th, 2005, 03:56 PM

For you Swedes out there do you agree with what Daun has to say?
This is not only swedes. Here in Norway it is pretty much the same. It is something that I do belive is something that we nords have in common. We are shy and melancholic. If you ask any foreign person who has visited Norway or Sweden, they will all say that we are cold, brutal and and not interested in being together with others. It is our culture that has made us act like that for over many many years. But as Freja said. Read the book, and you will see that it is this way because it is our culture that has made us this way.

Northern Paladin
Wednesday, January 12th, 2005, 09:38 PM

Actually Sweden is one of the most secular countries in Northern Europe.

cosmocreator
Thursday, January 13th, 2005, 06:34 AM
I think it's genetical, it's classic traits of Nordics.

But cold and brutal? :confused:

I'm not so interested many times in other people but does that makes me cold and brutal? I can help people, I like people, I care for people, I worry for people, but I'm not very social. It does not make me cold. If I rape a girl then I'm cold If I don't care about my neighbor or my children then I'm cold, NIGGERS ARE THE ONES WHO ARE THE COLDEST AND NORDICS THE WARMEST.

Otherwise would be a really worthless definition of cold.

In my family for example we are extremely distant to each other, I never have called my parents for dad or mom, I call them for their names, and we are shy to each other, especially my dad, he don't even remember our names sometimes he calls me for my brothers name and vice versa. You should se him at a party, he can't socialize, he sits there silent and tries to discuss things, he can't help it, he is not interested in others and it’s the same with me. But of course he needs others and so do I but less of it, we take care of ourselves, we are individualistic. But we help each other out and have close ties.

Nordic is much less talk, promise and charm and much more action.'

You could say that we are much more honest in our character.

So what would one pick the warm and friendly surface with a cold and ruthless inside or the cold and unfriendly surface but with a warm and friendly inside?

I remember when I where younger and dated girls, I could just sit there and I could not say anything! I didn't knew what to say, I liked the girl but I just sat there hoping that she would like me anyway, some did, some did not, I will never get a social wife I will get someone like me, silent and shy and then we can sit there in silence under the stars :love:

I'm very quiet myself. So is my dad. I'm often taken for being shy but I don't think that is the right word. I'm an actor. So I'm comfortable having lights, camera and eyes on me and being the center of attention. Introverted would be better.

There's a proverb: 'The more that comes out of person's mouth, the less they have in their head.'

Freja
Thursday, January 13th, 2005, 08:31 AM
I'm comfortable having lights, camera and eyes on me and being the center of attention. Introverted would be better.

That sounds like me. In a social setting, I behave very much according to what people expect of me - I´m thought of as the lively, charming, witty one. I act out a personality that is not natural for me. I handle attention like a pro, I can hold a speach in front of a large audience, but afterwards I feel like running far into the woods to hide.
I realized a few years ago that having a social life, being talkative and friendly sucks sooo much energy out of me, I have to spend a lot of time alone in order to maintain my balance.

Naggaroth
Thursday, January 13th, 2005, 01:09 PM
I think it's genetical, it's classic traits of Nordics.

But cold and brutal? :confused:

I'm not so interested many times in other people but does that makes me cold and brutal? I can help people, I like people, I care for people, I worry for people, but I'm not very social. It does not make me cold. If I rape a girl then I'm cold If I don't care about my neighbor or my children then I'm cold, NIGGERS ARE THE ONES WHO ARE THE COLDEST AND NORDICS THE WARMEST.

Perhaps I didn't explain that one good enough. What I meant is that from old times when we were vikings and until today, the nordic people were thought of being cold. But that is something that we do have from our ancestors. This means that we are not open to everybody.
For example, if you are sitting in a bus, do the man next to you talk to you? Say that you are sitting in an airplane, would you talk to the man/woman next to you? It is by this I'm saying that the nords are cold. We do not make contact with others unless it is necessary. It is this which is referred to as being cold.
When it comes to the brutality I do agree that negroes are far more brutal than we are, but if you as the man in the street in other european countries they will say that it is the humans from north that is the most brutal. And when they speak of that they are referring to the vikings. Nevertheless I do agree that Negros and humans from the islamic culture are much more brutal than we are.

Naggaroth
Thursday, January 13th, 2005, 02:29 PM
And they are the coldest, it's the negro who best represent the Hollywood SS man/woman.

I knew this so well, I have been on travel and been stressed and messed up and everything and the nigger personel is always the coldest, while whites meets you with a warm smile the niggers shuffle you away with arrogant gestures and irritation.
I do agree in that. Some friends of mine have been dating some negros and some greeks and some turks, and all of my friends is telling me the same story:
- They are all a bunch of idiots. They all want one thing, and that is to have sex with you. Nothing more.
While we, the white race, are more warm and welcoming though what I referred to is what other think about us. And from their point of view, we were cold and brutal.

3ngelbrekt
Thursday, May 19th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Having moved recently within Sweden, to the southern parts. I have noticed that there is a different mentality in this neck of the woods then where I originate from. Even though everyone is Swedish, there still is a slightly different mind set and how one views similar things. For example, how most people view someone who is successful or the way that they run their businesses. Anyone else experienced something similar?

Neils
Thursday, May 19th, 2005, 05:27 PM
I think they are pretty strange down there. I stayed in Malmo for a night after coming back from the Roskilde festival in Denmark in 2003. My face was quite red from sunburn but I wasn't really feeling self concious about it. After being in the city centre area for five minutes I encountered a group of about ten kids on bikes who stopped cycling when they saw me and began pointing at me laughing. I thought nothing of it and just dismissed them as a bunch of stupid kids. About five minutes later I passed a middle age couple on the street who also made no effort at disguising there amusment at my sunburnt face. The woman made blatent eye contact with me and she had a big grin on her face. Afterwards I regreted not confronting her. Do people have any discretion here, I angrily thought to myself . Later that night after renting a hotel room I decided to take a walk around the city which I thought was not very astetically pleasing. During my walk I passed within about five metres of a young couple in their early twenties. I could see they were looking at me sniggering. Then the guy made comment towards me and I just lost the plot completly :viking4: . I couldn't believe the audacity of these people. My blood was really boiling now. I confronted him directly on and began pushing him about telling him how he should conduct himself in future. I scared the bejesus out of him. I'm not proud of what I did, but i'm not ashamed either. It was just something I had to do.
Also during my walk I encountered a women walking a dog who had the most stuck up snobby walk you could imagine. She was way overdoing the whole graceful thing. Her hips moving side to side stepping with her feet one directly over the other and her forelimb of one arm stuck out an angle at her side as if to show refinement. :rotfl:

Blutwölfin
Thursday, May 19th, 2005, 08:45 PM
The different mentality you'll also note in Germany and Austria. I was born
up in the North (near Hamburg) and stayed there for about 20 years. I really
get to know the people living there or even further in the North, in Kiel for
example. They're quite different from the rest of the Germans. More close-lipped,
more cold, more reserved. They really don't like to get in touch with foreigners
and they like to judge on first view.

The more you get into the South, the more open are the people. While e.g.
people from Hamburg run through the streets with a petrified face, people
from Munich smile. This is at least my impression.

Furthermore the people from Northern Germany are - as far as I can judge -
more interested in staying with their peers, while people from the South are
more open to foreigners (but that's maybe because Southern Germany is
favoured by tourists ;) ).

It's really hard to explain, but I guess the different mentality is perhaps caused
by the surroundings - and perhaps by environment, too. Live in the South,
where it is more sunny and much warmer, was more easy than live in the North,
where it is not that warm even in summer, where there's the threat of
floodings, heavy storms and so on. People learnt to stick together and learnt to
cherish their kin.

But this is just theory... ;)

NSFreja
Thursday, May 19th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Having moved recently within Sweden, to the southern parts. I have noticed that there is a different mentality in this neck of the woods then where I originate from. Even though everyone is Swedish, there still is a slightly different mind set and how one views similar things. For example, how most people view someone who is successful or the way that they run their businesses. Anyone else experienced something similar? You shouldn't have moved that far away, away from the "normal" part of the country...I told you not to move, but oh no, did you listen? j/k :icon_razz

When are you moving back? You can't stay there all your life, to much weird people there :icon_wink
We miss you all and would love to see you again, long time no see you know...maybe a barbeque and "some" beer can get you over here for a short visit so you can feel normal again :icon_wink :beer1: :beer1: :beer1:

Neils
Thursday, May 19th, 2005, 09:58 PM
to much weird people there :

The southern folk call folk up north weird. Why can't we all just get along? :cry00002:

NSFreja
Thursday, May 19th, 2005, 10:08 PM
The southern folk call folk up north weird. Why can't we all just get along? :cry00002: I'm just kidding you know...I have many good friends down south but still, it is as 3ngelbrekt writes, the mentality is different down there than here.

Gustavus Magnus
Friday, May 20th, 2005, 12:33 AM
I'm just kidding you know...I have many good friends down south but still, it is as 3ngelbrekt writes, the mentality is different down there than here.

You people speak about the south and the north of Sweden. I would like to speak about the west. We here have a saying: "dä ordner sä, å gä'lä itte dä så kvetter dä" ("it's gonna be allright [in one way or another], and if it doesn't, it doesn't matter"). And I wouldn't want it any other way.

infoterror
Friday, May 20th, 2005, 03:50 AM
About five minutes later I passed a middle age couple on the street who also made no effort at disguising there amusment at my sunburnt face. The woman made blatent eye contact with me and she had a big grin on her face.

Sounds like America. Please send those Swedes to NYC and they'll fit in fine. The Swedes I've met would never consider debasing themselves in that way. In fact, they were incredibly tolerant of my awful, incomprehensible pronunciation of Swedish city names and very gentle in their corrections. Maybe we just get the nice ones over here, but I doubt it. Probably someone installed free American cable TV in that part of Southern Sweden and it screwed up the people you met?

Neils
Friday, May 20th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Maybe we just get the nice ones over here, but I doubt it. Probably someone installed free American cable TV in that part of Southern Sweden and it screwed up the people you met?

Very likely. My sister was in America for a summer. She thought the tv was mind numbingly boring and idiotic. We just get the cream of the American shows over here, like Frasier which I like.