PDA

View Full Version : Tydal types

Frans_Jozef
Tuesday, November 25th, 2003, 08:48 AM
If we summarize, historically, it is first obvious that this regional division (at least as far as the greater regions are concerned) is very old, and at least in the southern part of the country goes back to the time before possible movements during the “Fimbul
Winter”, which thus cannot have meant very much – except as a linguistically equalizing factor to the special dialects.

The major part of the population in Upper (province of) Dalarne is perhaps a remnant of extremely old, racially Old Atlantic hunters who reached the Scandinavian peninsula during the early Stone Age from the West and the North Sea Land, a link between Britain and continental Europe during the earlier Mesolithic, followed by culturally higher standing groups, gradually pushed further and further away, eventually to end up in this retreat area, suited aside of the greater routs of communication.

A somewhat younger, also Western migration stream, primarily from NW Germany, is represented by the blonde, distinctly Nordic population in Inner Southwestern Sweden, and also the – even if less uniform because of both older and younger mixes - main
population in Scania (and Denmark – except Bornholm). East Sweden with the Baltic islands and Bornholm, and mixed with the Southwestern stream, also to a great extent the “Middle Region”, would on the other hand not have received the most part of their populations until the latter Stone Age (and during the early Bronze Age) via Balticum from Central Europe (esp. “Boat Axe people” and presumably also other similar groups). The population of Lower Norland are so to speak a somewhat later sprout from the same tree – whereas the groups by Kvarken (the Umeå region) and northwards would have come about through various much younger, mostly Medieval immigrations from different parts of lower Sweden and also from Finland (and Lapland), maybe also from W. Norway – and subsequently following strongly individualizing inter breeding.

To some extent this corresponds (if we do not take into account the Old Atlantic remnants and later Finnish and other influences) with the much discussed contrasts between (original) Swedes and Goths – even if the East Goths, like so much else shows as well,
mainly must be refereed to the (modern) East Swedish group. – And for sure it is impossible that so important foundations of our country’s racial history could have been laid later. The cultural influences during the later periods have often come as a result of the remaining of the same connections that once conditioned the country’s older immigrations. – Here we must not forget the gateway
for southern cultural influences via the numerous Medieval Germans that is Stockholm (and other East Coast towns). These Germans came mainly from NW Germany, and most of all from Westphalia and the partly rather recently from there colonized Mecklenburg. (…)

(B Lundman, “Kort översikt av Sveriges etnogeografi”, 3d edition, 1969)

By courtesy of a dear friend of mine who was willing to translate this section from L.'s book.

Väring
Saturday, April 30th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Tydalsrasen (så benämnd efter en socken i Norge) rätt högväxt (omkr. 174 cm.) och grovvuxen med rätt korta ben och långa armar. Låg och långskallig (BLI c. 75) ansiktet kort och brett (A I 80-85), fyr- till sexkantigt med brant profil, framskjutande haka, låg och rätt brant panna, kraftiga ögonbrynsbågar samt kort och rätt bredtruggig uppnäsa (hos männen är denna dock ibland även bred och platt på ett mycket karakteristiskt sätt). Håret svartbrunt, ej svart och ögonen rätt mörka, glanslösa. Ögonbrynen hela vägen grova och ofta sammanvuxna. Stark skäggväxt. Utbredning: Kanske endast av fullt samma typ i Skandinaviens och Brittiska öarnas otillgängligaste trakter. Besläktade typer finnas dock här och där i västra Europa söder ut ända till Kanariöarna.

Tydals race (named so after a parish in Norway) rather tall of stature (about 174 centimeters) and coarse-grown with rather short legs and long arms. Low- and long-skulled (BLI approximately 75), the face, which is square to sixtangular with a steep profile, is short and broad (FI 80-85), jutting chin, low and rather broad forehead, powerful browridges as well as a short and rather broad up-turned nose (this is sometimes both broad and flat among the men in a very special way) The hair is blackish-brown, not black and the eyes are rather dark and without lustre. The eyebrows are coarse all the way and often grown together. Strong growth of beard. Prevalence: Perhaps only of the very same type in the most inaccessible parts of Scandinavia and the British Isles. However, related types exists here and there in western Europe as far south as the Canary Islands.

Lundman, Bertil(1940). Nordens Rastyper.

http://www.fikas.no/~sprocket/snpa/rastyper-04.htm

Väring
Saturday, April 30th, 2005, 06:38 PM
1. Tydalstyp från Våmhus i norra Dalarna. (Tydals type from Våmhus in northern Dalecarlia.)
2. Tydalstyp från Älvdalen i norra Dalarna. (Tydals type from Älvdalen in northern Dalecarlia.)

Väring
Saturday, April 30th, 2005, 06:47 PM
1-2.Älvdalskarlar: mörka, bredansiktade och brednästa tydalstyper. (Älvdals men: dark Tydals types, broad of face and nose.)
3-4.Älvdalskvinnor av tydalstyp. (Älvdals women of the Tydals type.)