PDA

View Full Version : Various English Accents of the World in Audio Format

Náttfari
Thursday, April 28th, 2005, 04:36 PM
I found this link yesterday and it's very interesting to hear different people speak English. If you tick at Icelandic, there is only one sample though, but most Icelanders speak English like that.

If you tick English, you get a list of people whose mother tongue is English, and it's very interesting to hear how different English can really be.

Check it out: http://classweb.gmu.edu/accent/

Lissu
Thursday, April 28th, 2005, 04:41 PM
I found this link yesterday and it's very interesting to hear different people speak English. If you tick at Icelandic, there is only one sample though, but most Icelanders speak English like that.

If you tick English, you get a list of people whose mother tongue is English, and it's very interesting to hear how different English can really be.

Check it out: http://classweb.gmu.edu/accent/The Icelandic guy has such a cute R... :P

Death and the Sun
Thursday, April 28th, 2005, 04:42 PM
The Icelandic accent always sounds cool.

Too bad there weren't examples of "anyi reayilly hyeavy Russhian aksents". :)

Lissu
Thursday, April 28th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Just finished listening the samples of Hungarians. In my ear, their intonation sounded very much the same as Finns...

Which is no wonder actually.

Lundi
Thursday, April 28th, 2005, 05:02 PM
O god I cant stand the typical Icelandic accent :P having lived in England for a part of my childhood and being jolly good (if I say so my self) with languages and accents I tend to always pick up the local accents for each language I've learnt.

Arcturus
Thursday, April 28th, 2005, 05:45 PM
I've always found it funny how the school system (atleast here) tries to force RP (received pronounciation) on everyone. A relic of the British obsession with social classes, it sounds idiotic to hear someone (usually a teacher who hardly seems to grasp the grammar) try to speak like Lord Huttington IV at Queen Victoria's tea party at Buckingham.. :speechles