PDA

View Full Version : Catnip and Cats?

SaveEurope
Tuesday, April 26th, 2005, 04:29 PM
I've been growing catnip for about a year now. It's strange though, my kitty doesn't seem to like it. Does anyones cat like catnip here?

Here's some info on catnip.

Catnip (Nepatia cataria) is a plant native to North America. Fresh leaves of the catnip plant have a mint-like scent, while dried leaves smell like alfalfa. In all members of the cat family, contact with this plant causes a peculiar reaction called the catnip response. The primary active compound is catnip, nepetalactone, is chemically similar to hallucinogens. Catnip is not toxic to pets.

The catnip response includes initial investigation, oral contact, grasping and kicking, and abandonment. It lasts an average of about 6 minutes but is most intense for 2-3 minutes. Male and female cats of reproductive age are more sensitive to catnip than very young or old cats.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/framed.htm?parent=question303.htm&url=http://www.thevet.com/catnipresp.htm

Lundi
Tuesday, April 26th, 2005, 04:32 PM
My cats love it, and it keeps them away from the furniture too :)

TisaAnne
Tuesday, April 26th, 2005, 06:18 PM
My cats love it, and it keeps them away from the furniture too :)
Mine love it too... whenever I give it them they roll around in it and eat it. It's very cute and amusing. But it doesn't keep my cats away from the furniture. :mad: If anything, it makes them more prone to scratching on the arms of the sofa, climbing the window curtains and leaping from one piece of the furniture to another in a chasing frenzy. :D

I've been growing catnip for about a year now. It's strange though, my kitty doesn't seem to like it. Does anyones cat like catnip here?
Perhaps you should purchase some pre-dried catnip, as opposed to giving it the "home grown" variety. Or maybe your cat is just weird... ;)

DreamWalker
Tuesday, April 26th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Mine love it too... whenever I give it them they roll around in it and eat it. It's very cute and amusing. But it doesn't keep my cats away from the furniture. :mad: If anything, it makes them more prone to scratching on the arms of the sofa, climbing the window curtains and leaping from one piece of the furniture to another in a chasing frenzy. :D

So you have a scratching post for them? Maybe you giving them too much, I used the spray can stuff, sprayed a bit on the the scratching post, that kept her using the post and away from the funiture, she didn't go nuts, but liked it.

anonymaus
Tuesday, April 26th, 2005, 06:54 PM
My cat loves catnip, I sprinkle some on her big scratching post and she rolls around all over it and scratches away.

Then again I'm pretty sure she's crazy, so she might not care if it's catnip or basil.. :D

TisaAnne
Tuesday, April 26th, 2005, 07:02 PM
So you have a scratching post for them?
No I don't... but perhaps I should get one, because I've had to resort to using a water bottle to squirt them when they start ripping their claws on the couch.

They've also been scratching up the front of my amps... about a month ago I had to replace the two bottom speakers in one of my 4x12 cabinets because one of the bastards ripped straight through the outer mesh covering and into the speakers. :annoysigr

They are bad kitties...but I love them for it. :D

anonymaus
Tuesday, April 26th, 2005, 07:12 PM
They are bad kitties...but I love them for it. :D

Exactly! If one is to own a cat.. this must be understood from the outset! They are all bad kitties :ja:

SaveEurope
Tuesday, April 26th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Perhaps you should purchase some pre-dried catnip, as opposed to giving it the "home grown" variety. Or maybe your cat is just weird... ;)
I've already done this and still nothing. :scratch: She's a strange little Mr. kitty.

TisaAnne
Tuesday, April 26th, 2005, 07:34 PM
I've already done this and still nothing. :scratch: She's a weird little Mr. kitty.
What is her age? It doesn't work too well on cat's that are too young, or too old.

SaveEurope
Tuesday, April 26th, 2005, 07:47 PM
What is her age? It doesn't work too well on cat's that are too young, or too old.
She's 5 or 6. We had her fixed too if that matters.

DreamWalker
Wednesday, April 27th, 2005, 12:20 AM
No I don't... but perhaps I should get one,

Definitely, a cat without a scratching post is like, ummmm, well I can't think of a good analogy. :confused:

But it is instinctual with them to constantly sharpen their claws, if they don't have a post, well, it sounds like you know what happens.