PDA

View Full Version : Sasquatch in Manitoba - Canadian Witness, "It just wasn't right,"

Todesritter
Friday, April 22nd, 2005, 04:36 PM
SOURCE: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050419.wsasquath20/BNStory/National (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050419.wsasquath20/BNStory/National)

--------------------------------------------------------

Footage shot in Manitoba shows Bigfoot, viewers say
Massive, hairy figure seen walking along shore of Nelson River the 'real deal'

By DAWN WALTON

Wednesday, April 20, 2005 Updated at 1:44 AM EST

From Wednesday's Globe and Mail

Hundreds of people have now streamed through a home in northern Manitoba to view a 2-minute 49-second video that has folks believing: Bigfoot lives.

Missy Flett, a self-described cynic, said she was stunned by the image of a massive hair-covered creature walking upright calf-deep in water along a shore of the Nelson River, about 500 kilometres north of Winnipeg.

"I was kind of skeptical when I went over," Ms. Flett, an outreach worker with the Norway House Community Council, explained yesterday after viewing the video. "But after seeing it, I truly believe it's the real sasquatch [another name for Bigfoot]."

She asked whether she could take a picture of the images on the flat-screen television with her digital camera, but the family screening the video in this remote community of 6,000 nixed her request.

They are talking about copyrights and thinking about turning Bigfoot video into big bucks if some media outlet were just willing to pay.

And now, the man who shot the video is apparently "too stressed" to deal with the press.

The man behind the camcorder is Bobby Clarke. He's a ferry operator responsible for bringing people and vehicles over the Nelson River at docks located about 40 kilometres north of his home in Norway House.

While at work 6:30 Saturday morning, he noticed a black figure walking along the opposite river's edge about 250 metres away.

He grabbed his camera — something he is rarely without — and started shooting.

What he captured, according to his sister, Sharness Henry, is the image of a massive creature that stands eight, nine, maybe 10 feet (three metres) tall, walking along the edge of the water through some bulrushes. Near the end of the video, the creature turns and appears to stare into the camera, but the details of its face are impossible to make out.

"He's really hairy," Ms. Henry said.

That's when her brother appears to drop the camera. The experience has left him shaken and off work for a few days, Ms. Henry said.

Hubert Folster knows the feeling.

He was a ferry operator at the Nelson River crossing about a year ago when he spotted something dark, human-like, but too huge to be human, wandering on the bulrushes locked in the ice along the riverbank.

"It just wasn't right," he recalled yesterday.

For six minutes he watched, but in the poor early morning light, from his distance and without a camera, Mr. Folster can't be sure what he saw and he has never really talked about it.

"You don't want to mention these things," he says now, laughing.

North Americans have reported Bigfoot sightings as far back as the 1830s, but interest in the phenomenon really picked up with sightings, photos and footprints during the second half of the 20th century, according to Skeptical Inquirer magazine, a publication dedicated to unexplained occurrences.

The most famous is the 16-mm Patterson film shot in Bluff Creek, Calif., in 1967, which shows a hairy, human-like creature walking across a clearing.

Many Bigfoot hunters maintain the film is not a hoax, but anthropologists have argued that the size and stride of the creature suggest it could be human.

The shooter, Roger Patterson, has stood behind the film as authentic. Interestingly, a known Bigfoot-track hoaxer has said he told Mr. Patterson where to look for Bigfoot and, subsequently, Mr. Patterson raked in quite a bit of money from the film.

As the Skeptical Inquirer pointed out in a recent roundup of Bigfoot-related evidence, until bones or a body is discovered, there's no real scientific evidence of what Bigfoot enthusiasts purport to study.

Ms. Flett said there's no mistaking the image in the video for a bear or some other kind of wildlife common to the area. Bears have been known to walk on their hind legs, but for short distances. This creature, she said, is walking "gracefully" kind of like a human, but not.

"It's awesome," Ms. Flett said. " . . . It's real. It's the real deal."

Todesritter
Friday, April 22nd, 2005, 04:39 PM
Moderators: I was not sure if this should maybe go in the Anthropology section, as Sasquatch, Yeti, and whatnot are generally also of interest to those who study unorthodox Anthropology, or Crypto-anthropology of undiscovered types of Hominids. Feel free to move it - or nuke it as you see fit.

Stig NHF
Friday, April 22nd, 2005, 05:06 PM
Hope its true.

Todesritter
Friday, April 22nd, 2005, 05:28 PM
Indeed, perhaps 'discovering' giant forest cousins of Man yet living, would make mainstream humanity less irreverent of nature.

Arcturus
Friday, April 22nd, 2005, 05:36 PM
I'm afraid that IF such a species was to be proven to exist, Man would cause its demise all the swifter.. One way or another.. And most probably both. :mad:

IvyLeaguer
Saturday, April 23rd, 2005, 02:37 AM
For those folks living in the U.S. and Canada, I thought this site would be interesting to see:

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/

I guess these are being seen all over the place?!

IvyLeaguer
Saturday, April 23rd, 2005, 02:42 AM
http://www.bfro.net/legends/Iwein.asp

CanadianWhite
Saturday, April 23rd, 2005, 08:59 PM
Strange, haven't seen or heard anything about this. Must have been a Indian drunk off of mouthwash.

By the way, I live in Manitoba.

IvyLeaguer
Wednesday, May 11th, 2005, 10:48 PM
I thought someone might find this interesting.

________________________________________ _________________

Policeman, workers track roaming, 12-foot creature. It got away before they could tell if it was bear or something else.

By Laura Barnhardt
The Baltimore Sun Newspaper (Maryland)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anne Arundel County police looked for a mysterious 12-foot creature yesterday, but it's unclear whether an officer and witnesses spotted an animal or maybe -- they joked -- the imaginary Loch Ness Monster from the Severn River.

A Police Department spokesman confirmed a report of a "strange sighting" in Hanover just after midnight yesterday near the Arundel Mills mall construction site. But witnesses said the 12-foot-tall, upright, black "thing" ran past them so fast they weren't sure what it was. Construction workers who were napping in a van called police, who dispatched an off-duty officer working security at the mall site to investigate. The workers, who had fled to a nearby fast-food restaurant for safety, were reluctant to return to the construction site with the officer, said Sgt. Joseph Jordan. But the workers finally agreed to show the officer where they had seen the creature.

After a brief search, the officer found a footprint about 15 to 20 inches long, Jordan said. Officers contacted the state Department of Natural Resources, which reported a recent sighting of two bears near Interstate 295, Jordan said. However, the print seemed rather large and long for a bear print, police said.

When the workers and the officer later caught another glimpse of what appeared to be the animal near a pond also on the site, the workers ran, police said. The off-duty officer stayed and reported seeing two animal-like eyes in the dark, though he couldn't tell what it was, police said. In case the creature was a bear, the officer continued to stay in the area it was last seen, occasionally shining his spotlight around the pond, Jordan said.

About 3 a.m., the officer saw what appeared to be an animal lying on a hill near the pond, though it's unclear whether it was the same animal spotted earlier, police said. The officer blew an air horn several times, "but it didn't jerk or move at all," Jordan said. Anyone who sees a large animal should keep a safe distance and immediately call 911, Jordan said.

Police do not believe it was a person. "It had fur," Jordan said. But, he said, whatever it was disappeared before the mystery could be solved.

IvyLeaguer
Wednesday, May 11th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Interesting 911 call......................

http://www.bigfootsounds.com/call911.mp3

The Horned God
Thursday, May 12th, 2005, 01:25 AM
Interesting 911 call......................

http://www.bigfootsounds.com/call911.mp3

That kind of thing, interesting though it is could easily be a hoax call by someone looking for attention.

I work in a government building and I've had a few crank calls. People sometimes ring up insisting to be put through to someone famous, some of these are even international calls usually in the middle of the night. Sometimes I think they are from small radio stations putting on a prank for their listeners.Or else they are just mentally disturbed people of which I believe there are plenty out there. Thats just my opinion.

Erlingr Hárbarðarson
Thursday, May 12th, 2005, 01:25 AM
Hope its true.
I agree. Thanks to all for the links and words on this. Very interesting.

IvyLeaguer
Thursday, May 12th, 2005, 03:16 AM
Horned God,

I certainly hope it was a hoax. I surely wouldn't be very happy to see one of those looking through my window at night. There sure have been many sightings reported around here lately. Hey, why did you change your pic? Whenever I pulled that robed deer up on my screen, I couldn't stop laughing. PUT THAT BACK UP PLEASE! :goat2:

The Horned God
Thursday, May 12th, 2005, 05:12 AM
Horned God,

I certainly hope it was a hoax. I surely wouldn't be very happy to see one of those looking through my window at night. There sure have been many sightings reported around here lately. Hey, why did you change your pic? Whenever I pulled that robed deer up on my screen, I couldn't stop laughing. PUT THAT BACK UP PLEASE! :goat2:

Oh, you couldn't stop laughing couldn't you?
Well, there wasn't ment to be anything funny about it, as I think you well know.
The contemplation and personification of The Horned god is about trying to understand the spiritual life of our pre-Christian European ancestors.

I may put the image of the shaman back up on a rotational basis along with other images of The Horned God, from ancient, medievil and modern times.

But you can be sure of one thing IvyLeaguer, your amusment couldn't have any less to do with it!

IvyLeaguer
Thursday, May 12th, 2005, 09:08 AM
It was just a cute picture and I certainly didn't mean to offend. This one is more serious looking. Was that you dressed up in the other one?

Anyway, back to the yeti/sasquatch/bigfoot story.........

I actually do think something like this may possibly exist. After all, it was only about a century ago that Western man verified the existence of the mountain gorilla. Before that, there was much skepticism. Tibetan Buddhists have always claimed the existence of the Yeti as well, and the SS-Ahnenerbe's Bruno Beger was actually out trying to solve that mystery too. If I can remember correctly from my reading, I believe the Yeti's significance to racial theorists, like Beger, had something to do with the Atlantis theory and a degenerate race that had evolved when the Atlantean giants supposedly made the mistake of mating with a lower animal race, producing the Yeti. Perhaps someone else knows far more about this than I do?

Swedish explorer Sven Hedin also claimed these existed. The other day I found a link about various explorers and climbers who claimed they had come into contact with these creatures in and around the Himalayas. I'll try to find that again and post it because it was rather interesting to say the least.

The Horned God
Thursday, May 12th, 2005, 03:27 PM
It was just a cute picture and I certainly didn't mean to offend.
Oh, well then thats different. I overacted it was late and I may have been feeling somewhat embattled. Apology accepted. :)
No it's not me, most people in Ireland who that kind of thing are new age Pagans whom I don't want to discuss...

Anyway, back to the yeti/sasquatch/bigfoot story.........

I actually do think something like this may possibly exist. After all, it was only about a century ago that Western man verified the existence of the mountain gorilla. Before that, there was much skepticism.

I Have seen some of those, early accounts of the Gorilla are so fanyful they seem to be describing another amimal altogether.
THere is also the possibility of the extistence of another ape, a giant chimpanzee or gorilla-chimp hybrid in the Congo known as "The lion killer". I am sure it will be found one. The difference is the "Lion killer" is flesh and blood animal which has been seen, some of its dens have been found and they may have found a skull of the creature, in other words they are not chasing a mirage.

Tibetan Buddhists have always claimed the existence of the Yeti as well, and the SS-Ahnenerbe's Bruno Beger was actually out trying to solve that mystery too. If I can remember correctly from my reading, I believe the Yeti's significance to racial theorists, like Beger, had something to do with the Atlantis theory and a degenerate race that had evolved when the Atlantean giants supposedly made the mistake of mating with a lower animal race, producing the Yeti. Perhaps someone else knows far more about this than I do?

Swedish explorer Sven Hedin also claimed these existed. The other day I found a link about various explorers and climbers who claimed they had come into contact with these creatures in and around the Himalayas. I'll try to find that again and post it because it was rather interesting to say the least.

The Scots have always claimed the existence of the Lough Ness monster. :D

Seriously though, it may not be imposible that one of our ancient homenid relatives survives somewhere in the world. The Flores "Hobbit" survived until a few thousand years ago, perhaps even longer as the natives claim to have quite detailed legends featuring the creature!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3948165.stm

Even more intriguing is the fact that Flores' inhabitants have incredibly detailed legends about the existence of little people on the island they call Ebu Gogo.

The islanders describe Ebu Gogo as being about one metre tall, hairy and prone to "murmuring" to each other in some form of language. They were also able to repeat what islanders said to them in a parrot-like fashion.

When we got the dates back from the skeleton and we found out how young it was, one anthropologist working with us said it must be wrong

Mike Morwood, University of New England
"There have always been myths about small people - Ireland has its Leprechauns and Australia has the Yowies. I suppose there's some feeling that this is an oral history going back to the survival of these small people into recent times," said co-discoverer Peter Brown, an associate professor of archaeology at New England.

The last evidence of this human at Liang Bua dates to just before 12,000 years ago, when a volcanic eruption snuffed out much of Flores' unique wildlife.

Yet there are hints H. floresiensis could have lived on much later than this. The last legend featuring the mythical creatures dates to just 100 years ago.

Bigfoots on the other hand have been sighted all over the place, in every state in Notrth-america, yet no trace of them has ever been found. That doesn't sound like a flest and blood creature to me. Neither a carcass nor even a bigfoot bone has ever been reliably identified. I would think that such a large and wide roaming creature should, by now, have gotten itself shot or trapped or at least left some hair which could be geneticly analysed.Show me something concrete and then I might get interested!

IvyLeaguer
Thursday, May 12th, 2005, 06:05 PM
MONDAY APRIL 02 2001
'Yeti's hair' defies DNA analysis

BY MARK HENDERSON, SCIENCE CORRESPONDENT
BRITISH scientists on the trail of the Yeti have found some of the best evidence yet for the existence of the mythical Himalayan creature — a sample of hair that has proved impossible to identify.
Genetic tests on the hair, which was gathered from a tree in Bhutan, have failed to match its DNA to that of another animal. The findings, which have surprised skeptical researchers, raise the strong possibility that the sample belongs to an as yet undiscovered species.
In Bhutan, an expedition team was led by an “official Yeti-hunter” to a forest in the eastern part of the country, where he was convinced that an animal was at large. “He told us that he had found evidence of the Yeti in the hollow of a cedar tree,” Rob McCall, a zoologist who was part of the expedition, said. Dr McCall’s team removed strands of hair from the tree and returned to Britain to have them analysed.
Bryan Sykes, Professor of Human Genetics at the Oxford Institute of Molecular Medicine, one of the world’s leading experts on DNA analysis, who examined the hair, said: “We found some DNA in it, but we don’t know what it is. It’s not a human, not a bear nor anything else we have so far been able to identify. It’s a mystery and I never thought this would end in a mystery. We have never encountered DNA that we couldn’t recognise before.”
The discovery was made by a team of scientists assembled by Channel 4 for a documentary in the To the Ends of the Earth series, which will be shown tonight.

Copyright 2001 Times Newspapers Ltd. This service is provided on Times Newspapers' standard terms and conditions. To inquire about a licence to reproduce material from The Times, visit the Syndication website.

infoterror
Thursday, May 12th, 2005, 06:07 PM
If Yeti hype continues, I want to make a parody of Hollywood race-mixing movies advocating inter-Yeti dating.

infoterror
Thursday, May 12th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Sometimes I think they are from small radio stations putting on a prank for their listeners.

Or trolling groups like GNAA and teens4christ...

IvyLeaguer
Thursday, May 12th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Are we still allowed to discuss this topic? If we can't, I won't provide anything else because I don't want to rub anyone the wrong way. (I'm not the original poster about this topic anyway.) I just happen to think these might actually exist and I want to remain open-minded on the whole topic. I find it very interesting.

Concerning "Nessie"----there supposedly exists one of those in Sweden too, the Great Lake Monster. The creature was said to have been seen not too long ago by a group of construction workers. Since I'm not sure if anyone is interested in that article, I won't post. The article, of course, is in Swedish, but perhaps someone is interested. Let me know.

I just recently saw a documentary on Discovery about "The Hobbit" people Horned God just brought up. It was extremely interesting and fascinating. Of course, no one believed those natives until a skeleton was found and analysed by Western scientists. (Ditto to what had happened with the Mountain Gorilla.)

In short, I think there is usually something to basic myths and legends. Of course, over time and through oral traditions the stories can get out of hand, but often there is some basic truth present somewhere. Thank goodness for all those who were the dreamers and actually investigated the theories others laughed about, otherwise Schliemann would have never found Troy.

Arcturus
Friday, May 13th, 2005, 05:59 AM
Concerning "Nessie"----there supposedly exists one of those in Sweden too, the Great Lake Monster. The creature was said to have been seen not too long ago by a group of construction workers. Since I'm not sure if anyone is interested in that article, I won't post. The article, of course, is in Swedish, but perhaps someone is interested. Let me know.

Plus we mustn't forget the bunyips of australia. I think the translation was "water devil" or something, or the huge carcass that was found floating around at sea, which was photographed and then thrown back as it stank so badly. Also I remember reading about a carcass tht washed ashore somewhere in Britain, which the villagers burned... I have always been fascinated by what might be out there, and surely the seas and oceans of the world are large enough to still hide secrets, but I am a sceptic, so I won't beleive until I see. Besides, so many photographs of e.g Nessie that were taken during the 60s-70s are such obvious fakes that it is discouraging.

Yet, it would be interesting.

Space_Ace
Friday, May 13th, 2005, 08:13 AM
I have always been fascinated by what might be out there, and surely the seas and oceans of the world are large enough to still hide secrets, but I am a sceptic, so I won't beleive until I see. Besides, so many photographs of e.g Nessie that were taken during the 60s-70s are such obvious fakes that it is discouraging.

I believe there must be lots of unknowns out there, but when something strange is encountered, it is always ridiculed because it might endanger the status quo of peoples ordinary lives. Lets take the classic UFO-phenomenon for example. Even if we sort out all the fakes and natural occurances from the innumerable amount of records available (beginning from ancient times), there still lies way too much material which can't be explained away. Where would all that material come from, if there wasn't any thruth to it?

IvyLeaguer
Sunday, May 29th, 2005, 04:21 AM
Okay, this article seems kind of crazy, but I thought I'd post it anyway. :sofa0000:

________________________________________ _____

Male and Female Sasquatch Reported, "Contained".
[May-21-2005]

Male and Female Sasquatch Reportedly Being “Contained” in Oklahoma
Have a pair of Sasquatch been tracked, captured and contained in Oklahoma?

(PRWEB) May 21, 2005 -- A male and female Sasquatch are reportedly being “contained” in Oklahoma.

On the Wednesday, May 18th edition of the Internationally syndicated late evening talk show, The ‘X’ Zone Radio Show, hosted by Rob McConnell and heard exclusively on the TalkStar Radio Network and their US and Canadian affiliates, a guest claimed that a male and female Sasquatch were being “contained” in Oklahoma.

Leigh claims that the full name of the Sasquatch is “Yeti Sasquatch Bigfoot Junior.”

Jason Leigh, who has been on The ‘X’ Zone Radio Show claims to be a former employee of ABC as live cameraman, had a UFO sighting that changed his life on June 11, 1995. Since then, Jason has been involved with the search and establishing that extraterrestrials are presently visiting our planet and that there is a US Government conspiracy when it comes to aliens and UFOs.

Leigh, who was scheduled to come on last night’s show surprised McConnell with his world exclusive announcement on The X’ Zone, that a male Sasquatch, that measures 9.5 feet tall and answers to the name of “Otis” was tracked down and captured in Oklahoma. The female Sasquatch that is also being contained, who has been named “Sarah Jane”, according to Leigh could very well be a hybrid species.

The length of time that the two Sasquatch have been contained for was not revealed.

According to Leigh, a film company in Oklahoma, Ghost Shield Studios are going to be filming a docu-drama about the Sasquatch and that after viewing the film which is scheduled to wrap up in the fall of 2005, there will be no way that anyone will be able to doubt the existence of Sasquatch. Leigh claims to have been hired by the studio to write part of the script and possibly play the part of the Indian tracker (not because he is half Cheyenne and half Irish) but because of his long hair.

Leigh stated that the members of the scientific community and media will have their opportunity to see both Sasquatch after the film has been completed and shown.

Leigh made reference to the “Sundance Indy (or Indie) Film Institute” as being the governing body behind the interview requests, and The ‘X’ Zone tried to contact them for a comment, we could not find them. We then tried to contact Ghost Shield Studios and could not find a listing for them on the internet or in an Oklahoma telephone directory.

The American Indian Film Institute and Sundance Institute were contacted and they had not heard of the “Sundance Indy (or Indie) Film Institute or Ghost Shield Studios.

According to members of Native American Associations who were contacted by The ‘X’ Zone, containing the Sasquatch against their will is a violation of their beliefs and laws since the Sasquatch are considered to be sacred.

To listen to Rob McConnell’s interview with Jason Leigh, visit www.xzone-radio.com/archives.htm on the date of Wednesday, May 18th., 2005.

The ‘X’ Zone Radio Show is broadcast LIVE, Monday thru Friday from 10 PM – 2 AM Eastern and then the show is repeated in entirety from 2 AM – 6 AM Eastern.

The ‘X’ Zone Radio Show, now in its 10th year is available through the TalkStar Radio Network and their Canadian and US affiliate radio stations. To find out how your station can carry The ‘X’ Zone Radio Show visit the TalkStar Radio Network website at www.talkstarradio.com or call Victor Ives at 503-638-4839 (in Oregon).

To contact Rob McConnell, call (905) 575-5916 (offices and studio are located in Hamilton, Ontario) or via e-mail to e-mail protected from spam bots, or visit The ‘X’ Zone Radio Show website at www.xzone-radio.com.

anonymaus
Wednesday, July 27th, 2005, 07:34 AM
New info: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050726/od_nm/canada_sasquatch_dc;_ylt=AqHCWEKeqXn3zyM oL.cwbycZ.3QA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3NW1oMDRpBHNlY wM3NTc-

Lab to test 'sasquatch' hair

Tue Jul 26

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (Reuters) - The debate over the existence of sasquatch, aka Bigfoot, an ape-like creature said to haunt the wilderness of western Canada has entered the world of modern DNA testing.

A laboratory will test hair samples that several residents of Teslin, Yukon, say were left when the large, but so-far mythological creature made a late-night run through their community in early July.

(cont.)

Erlingr Hárbarðarson
Wednesday, July 27th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Keep us up-to-date, anonymaus, over what the results conclude. Thanks in advance.

anonymaus
Thursday, July 28th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Bigfoot update: http://news.yahoo.com/s/cpress/20050728/ca_pr_on_na/sasquatch_hair;_ylt=AiFbbSHlkcxg8OqeGJpJ cTXq7dwE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3OWI1ZGNqBHNlYwM3Mz c-

Geneticist says hair sample from Yukon is that of bison - not Bigfoot

EDMONTON (CP) - A hair sample some claimed came from a sasquatch in the Yukon has turned out to be from a bison.
ADVERTISEMENT

A geneticist from the University of Alberta who did tests on the sample says the DNA match for a bison was 100 per cent.

(cont.)

What's interesting, regardless of this DNA match, is the abnormally large footprint which was also found. I'll update with that info when it comes out.

Stig NHF
Thursday, July 28th, 2005, 08:12 PM
We won't be satisfied till you bring original pics directly from the forest back to tnp, mister. So you better pack your bags and get out there, don't you dare come back emptyhanded! :mad:

Erlingr Hárbarðarson
Friday, July 29th, 2005, 02:32 PM
We won't be satisfied till you bring original pics directly from the forest back to tnp, mister. So you better pack your bags and get out there, don't you dare come back emptyhanded! :mad:

Fy faen! Kanskje han trenger en lærepenge? :rofl:

Stig NHF
Friday, July 29th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Ja, her er det ikkje noko bøn :mad:

Zyklop
Sunday, September 11th, 2005, 11:49 AM
http://images.livescience.com/template_images/livescience/transpacer.gif Voice of Reason: The Reality of Bigfoot

http://images.livescience.com/images/0507_bigfoot_1977_01.jpg
By Benjamin Radford
from the Skeptical Inquirer (http://www.csicop.org/)
posted: 28 July 2005
04:43 pm ET
http://images.livescience.com/template_images/livescience/transpacer.gif
Bigfoot's been a busy beastie recently, especially in Canada. In April a Manitoba ferry operator videotaped a large, dark, indistinct creature moving along a riverbank. Whatever it was -- Bigfoot, bear, bison, or otherwise -- it caused quite a stir and made international news.
Three months later, in nearby Yukon province, Teslin resident Trent Smarch found a tuft of coarse, dark hair in a forest where he and other locals heard a large, mysterious animal in the brush. They believe the creature was a Sasquatch, the Canadian version of the huge, hairy, humanoid mystery creature known as Bigfoot (http://www.livescience.com/php/multimedia/imagedisplay/img_display.php?pic=0507_bigfoot_1977_02 .jpg&cap=This+is+a+1977+still+photo+made+from +a+16mm+film+made+by+Ivan+Marx+reportedl y+showing+the+legendary+Big+Foot+cavorti ng+in+the+hills+of+northern+California.+ %28AP+Photo%2FFile%29). The find was reported across North America and around the world, and many wondered if this hair find might finally prove Bigfoot's long-disputed existence. The hair sample was sent to University of Alberta wildlife geneticist David Coltman for analysis. Coltman was asked to extract any available DNA from the hair, sequence the mitochondrial genes, and compare them to a database of known regional creatures.
On July 28, after a week of testing, the results were announced. More on that later, but first some background on the search for Bigfoot evidence. Bigfoot burst into the public's mind in 1959, with the publication of a magazine article describing the discovery of large, mysterious footprints the year earlier in Bluff Creek, California. A half century later, the question of Bigfoot's existence remains open. Bigfoot is still sought, the pursuit kept alive by a steady stream of sightings, occasional photos or footprint finds, and sporadic media coverage. By far the majority of support for Bigfoot comes from eyewitness reports and anecdotes, yet this is the least reliable kind of evidence -- and virtually worthless from a scientific perspective. What science needs to validate the existence of Bigfoot is hard evidence: a live or dead specimen, bones, teeth, blood, or hair. Because hard evidence is lacking -- no bones or bodies have been found -- Coltman's analysis was much anticipated.
The Yukon sample is not the first Bigfoot hair to be analyzed. Over the past few decades, dozens of hair and blood samples have been recovered from alleged Bigfoot encounters. (One example: in 2000, a group of Bigfoot researchers found what they interpreted as a Bigfoot body print in mud near Mount Adams in Washington state. Despite five years of study and the promise of alleged hair, saliva, and dung samples, no conclusive evidence has yet emerged from the find.) When a definite conclusion has been reached, the samples have invariably turned out to have prosaic sources -- "Bigfoot hair" turns out to be elk or bear or cow hair, for example, or "Bigfoot blood" is revealed to be transmission fluid. In his book Big Footprints, noted researcher Grover Krantz discusses such evidence: "The usual fate of these items is that they either receive no scientific study, or else the documentation of that study is either lost or unobtainable. In most cases where competent analyses have been made, the material turned out to be bogus or else no determination could be made."
It is important to understand the science behind hair analyses: An outcome of "unknown" or "inconclusive" does not necessarily mean the sample came from a Bigfoot. All it means is that the sample did not match whichever other samples it was compared to. For that reason, a wig or carpet fiber or even hair from an animal foreign to the region (such as a kangaroo or camel) claimed to be from a Bigfoot will likely be reported as "unknown." It also highlights a basic methodological problem that plagues all Bigfoot research: The lack of a standard measure. We know what a bear track looks like; if we find a track that we suspect was left by a bear, we can compare it to one we know was left by a bear. But there are no undisputed Bigfoot specimens by which to compare new evidence.
This is why evidence such as the Yukon hair is so crucial to proving Bigfoot's existence. At a press conference, Coltman revealed the results of his DNA analysis. The Bigfoot hair matched that of a bison 100 percent. Bison are common in the region, and it seems likely that the locals' expectations and perceptions were influenced by the Manitoba sighting three months earlier.
The DNA result will not, of course, deter the Bigfoot believers and eyewitnesses. But it does provide an excellent example of what happens when hard evidence of a mystery is subjected to the rigors of science. This high-profile Bigfoot hair analysis by a reputable scientist also addresses a criticism often heard by monster enthusiasts: That mainstream scientists ignore Bigfoot evidence for fear of damaging their reputations in pursuit of what some would call a myth. Yet if Bigfoot or other mystery creatures do exist, they are certainly worthy of serious scientific scrutiny. At the same time, since all previous samples were found to be hoaxes, inconclusive, or from known animals, scientists' lack of enthusiasm for spending time and resources on yet more such evidence is understandable.
In the space of six months, one alleged Canadian Bigfoot was videotaped and another left its hair. Nothing new has been learned from the Manitoba video -- it's still an unidentified dark blob, possibly one of any number of large animals in the area -- and the Yukon hair has been identified as bison. The mystery remains, and the search goes on.

http://www.livescience.com/scienceoffiction/050728_bigfoot.html

IvyLeaguer
Wednesday, December 7th, 2005, 05:33 AM
Scroll down on link to see photos............... :coffee:

Where is the Horned God when we need him?

http://www.bfro.net/news/silver_star_mountain.asp

IvyLeaguer
Friday, December 30th, 2005, 12:57 PM
From Malaysian news:

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v3/news.php?id=172652

IvyLeaguer
Sunday, January 1st, 2006, 01:41 AM
Even Al-Jazeera has an article about this:

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/D5A6DB60-320F-482F-9F00-3531D30C9777.htm

ikki
Sunday, January 1st, 2006, 02:43 AM
So you have run into one, but cannot prove anything?
Why else such an intrest..? ;)

Like the sound-lightshow that went on just beyond the clouds around here in rural lands.. 2 hours of it, so no "just a jet". So now I KNOW ufos are real :icon12:

IvyLeaguer
Sunday, January 1st, 2006, 04:52 AM
So you have run into one, but cannot prove anything?
Why else such an intrest..? ;)

No, I've never run into one and I have nothing to prove. If I saw one, I would just say that I did. I'm not interested in what someone else's opinion of me is. If I cared about that, I wouldn't be a member of this forum.

Do I think these might exist? Yes I do. Actually, we did have a creature like this roaming the earth once: Gigantopithicus. The likelihood or possibility of these still existing was also held by Swedish explorer Sven Hedin and the Nazi anthropologist Bruno Beger. If you want me to cite a more recent name, how about the Stanford professor Jane Goodall with her PhD from Cambridge. I'm sure there are others, but if I'm a nut, then so are they.

I've never seen a UFO or been abducted by aliens, but I believe the possibility of life elsewhere is great. Carl Sagan believed that there was life elsewhere and Stephen Hawking admits the high likelihood too and openly admits it.