PDA

View Full Version : Any Confederate Descendants on Skadi?

beowulf wodenson
Friday, April 22nd, 2005, 02:22 AM
*This thread is directed at fellow Americans on tnp, I doubt the Europeans will have much of an interest in the subject.

Do any Americans on tnp have any known Confederate ancestors? One of my ggg grandfathers was a soldier in the 3rd Ky. infantry regiment in the Confederate army who fought under the great cavalry General Nathan Bedford Forrest for a time, and I have several cousins and uncles that were in the Confederate service as well. If we'd just won....
My great X 5 grandfather was a captain in the 1st Virginia regiment, Continental Army during the Revolutionary War, sorry Brits! :bier:

SouthernBoy
Friday, April 22nd, 2005, 02:37 AM
*This thread is directed at fellow Americans on tnp, I doubt the Europeans will have much of an interest in the subject.

Do any Americans on tnp have any known Confederate ancestors? One of my ggg grandfathers was a soldier in the 3rd Ky. infantry regiment in the Confederate army who fought under the great cavalry General Nathan Bedford Forrest for a time, and I have several cousins and uncles that were in the Confederate service as well. If we'd just won....
My great X 5 grandfather was a captain in the 1st Virginia regiment, Continental Army during the Revolutionary War, sorry Brits! :bier:

Yes, I am. I would give names, but my anonymity might be compromised. :cool:

Glory
Friday, April 22nd, 2005, 02:41 AM
Hehe I know you're probably gonna hate me but my family are abunch of yankees. :laugh: I had one relative on my Irish side who joined the Union army basically right off the boat. He was said to be good friends with General Grant during the war since they were from the same town then after the war used to be his cabbie driver, so my grandma tells me.

On my other side of my family I had a member that mostly fought indians in the plains, he was part of a cavalry unit. They moved here from Germany in the 1840s from Philadelphia to South Dakota, some of them came from Canada also. To my knowledge I have no ancestors here before the 1840s.

DreamWalker
Friday, April 22nd, 2005, 02:47 AM
I am sure I do, Dads side has been in E Tennessee since there was a Tennessee. But it is a future project to find out who and where, I am still trying to fill in holes on mom's side, the durn Yankee Germans :rolleyes:

Volkert Volkertsen
Friday, April 22nd, 2005, 04:10 AM
Sure do!

:D

Mistress Klaus
Friday, April 22nd, 2005, 10:51 AM
With my grandfather from Fort Worth, Texas...I wouldn't be surprised! :D

beowulf wodenson
Friday, April 22nd, 2005, 02:24 PM
Hehe I know you're probably gonna hate me but my family are abunch of yankees. Naaa, you can't help it you're a damn yankee, no one's perfect! :laugh: My state was pretty divided as to union/confederate allegiance though my region, the far west, was pretty solidly confederate in sentiment. A couple of cousins and an uncle even fought in the federal army, but I disown them! :icon12: Another uncle of mine and his son were confederate cavalrymen from texas,the rest of my relatives in the war were confederates from ky.

Allenson
Friday, April 22nd, 2005, 03:15 PM
Union descent here. Sorry. ;)

Nibelung
Friday, April 22nd, 2005, 03:23 PM
You can be proud of your heritage.

I always admired the confederacy and their struggle against an overwhelming enemy. Most people wouldn't have had the guts to stand up against the titan.
The confederates did, no matter the price they had to pay eventually.
That deserves my highest respect.

I can boldly say, I would be as proud of being a confederate descendant as I am now being a prussian descendant.

CSA and Prussia will always be remembered. Cheers!

Death and the Sun
Friday, April 22nd, 2005, 05:57 PM
I'm European, and yet I (may) have Finno-American ancestors in North Carolina.

beowulf wodenson
Friday, April 22nd, 2005, 10:04 PM
CSA and Prussia will always be remembered. Cheers!

DEO VINDICE.

White Iceland
Friday, April 22nd, 2005, 10:13 PM
Truth Crushed to Earth Will Rise Again!

http://www.rptrading.biz/Stone-FlagPolkBattleFlagLrg.jpg

Erlingr Hárbarđarson
Friday, April 22nd, 2005, 10:58 PM
White Iceland

What does this flag symbolise?

Náttfari
Saturday, April 23rd, 2005, 12:41 AM
Tick here Erlingr: http://www.leonidaspolk.org/Polk's%20Corps%20Flag.html

:D

beowulf wodenson
Saturday, April 23rd, 2005, 03:23 PM
Truth Crushed to Earth Will Rise Again! Well met Icelander! :beer-smil I'm kind of surprised that a European would know much about the history of our "Civil War". That flag sort of resembles one used by the famous Kentucky brigade my ancestor and some cousins were in for a time, the 1st Ky. "Orphan" Brigade, CSA. The Kentuckians in the Confederate army were called 'orphans' because they were cut off from ky. by Union military occupation, and didn't get to go home until the war ended. This is the flag my gramp's regiment and a few others initially used:

Lundi
Saturday, April 23rd, 2005, 03:53 PM
Well met Icelander! :beer-smil I'm kind of surprised that a European would know much about the history of our "Civil War".

Don’t be surprised at all :), we Icelanders are known for taking great interest in history, be it our own or that of others, and seeing that the Polk's corps flag is so similar to our own Icelandic flag, many here have read it’s history. Also the majority of schools in Europe do teach about the American civil war (I for example studied it at the age of 13 when I lived in London), so most Europeans will have basic knowledge of it, just like I presume American schools would teach about the French Revolution or the English Civil war of 1642