PDA

View Full Version : Finland's Jews During WW2

Death and the Sun
Friday, April 15th, 2005, 08:05 PM
This is my second Jew-related thread today, since I’ve been doing some reading about Finland’s Jews, and their role in the two wars we fought against the Soviet Union during WW2 lately.

Probably one of the oddest things about WW2 is the fact that Finnish Jews and Germans fought together against the Soviets during the so-called Continuation War.

Although not much was known about the so-called ”Holocaust” at the time (and one might add that things have not changed much since then), Germany’s anti-Semitism was well known among the relatively few Jews in Finland. As always, Finnish Jews acted mainly out of self-interest; knowing that since both Germany and the USSR were much more anti-Semitic than Finland, it was in their interest to fight to preserve Finnish independence.

In the Winter War of 1939-1940, things were quite different, since Finns fough alone against the Soviets. There were about 200 Jewish Finns fighting in the front lines against the Red Army. Of these 15 were killed.

I found these two pictures in the internet. They both feature Finnish national hero, Field Marshall C. G. Mannerheim. I mean absolutely no disrespect whatsoever against this great man by posting them here, but I do think they provide an interesting contrast.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/smikkeli/kuva13.jpg

http://www.holocaustinfo.org/kuvat/mannerheim2.jpg

perkele14
Friday, April 15th, 2005, 09:35 PM
What is that lot he´s surrounded with? a jewish congregation or something??

I know a few Finlands jews even gained the Iron Cross from the Germans though, which is kind of bizzarre come to think about it but I would not still underline their role like Lipponen did.

Death and the Sun
Friday, April 15th, 2005, 10:02 PM
That photo was taken in 1944, when Mannerheim visited Helsinki's synagogue to attend a memorial service.

Edit:

The role of Jews in Finland's wars is mainly a historical curiosity, with no real significance.

Arcturus
Friday, April 15th, 2005, 10:11 PM
The role of Jews in Finland's wars is mainly a historical curiosity, with no real significance.

Hmm... this made me curious as to whether there were any jewish Jägers.. I'll have to check once I get back home on sunday.

Lissu
Friday, April 15th, 2005, 10:45 PM
There were something like 300 Jewish soldiers in Finland. 2 of them got the Iron Cross, as did one Jewish Lotta. No one of them took it though. The main reason for that was propably that Jews were mostly put in German troops, as they usually had better klowledge of German than Finns on average.

It is considered that WW2 integrated Jews in Finnish society. However, I have read somewhere, that many of the Finnish Jews of today are Zionists :mad: and therefore support Israel.

perkele14
Friday, April 15th, 2005, 11:06 PM
jew-related topics are cans full of worms. You do not want to open it unless you fancy heavy on/off-topic derails.

They have and never will, even if they stood on their heads the rest of their lives or perform whatever kind of other miracles, be Finns to me. Case closed.

The usual debate of Whether the "Israeli jews and zionists (which could be "respected") are the really real kick-ass kikes and the liberal fat-arse mediamoguls and paedophiles the bad-jews" does not interest me at all.

Gas im juden

Arcturus
Friday, April 15th, 2005, 11:09 PM
I keep forgetting I'm new here. Just wanted to make clear the fact that jews occupy my thoughts only when someone else brings them up. Really couldn't care less.

János Hunyadi
Friday, April 15th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Supposedly there are only 1,300 Jews in Finland.

http://virtual.finland.fi/netcomm/news/showarticle.asp?intNWSAID=26476