PDA

View Full Version : Ice cream giant slammed for "racist" ads

Sonja
Thursday, April 14th, 2005, 03:04 AM
http://www.thelocal.se/images/articleRelated/noggerbig.jpg
Nogger Black ice cream: logo has nothing to do with hip hop culture says maker GB

Sweden's biggest ice cream maker, GB Glace, has been accused of racism after launching an advertising campaign for its new ice cream, Nogger Black.

The company has been strongly criticised by the Centre Against Racism for associating the ice cream with black youth culture, including using graffiti-style writing in the ad.

"We're not critical of the colour of the ice cream or the name 'Black' but the whole concept of the advertisement," said Amina Ek of the Centre Against Racism to Svenska Dagbladet.

The ad itself features a heart drawn in white on a black background with the words 'Nogger + liquorice = true' inside.

The chairman of the Centre Against Racism, Stig Wallin, told Aftonbladet that he reacted immediately when he first saw the ad on Tuesday afternoon.

"I read it as 'Nigger + liquorice = true'," he said. "It's impossible not to see this as an allusion to racism."

Amina Ek said that this kind of ad "reinforced the racist structure of society" and that the Centre Against Racism was considering reporting GB to the Discrimination Ombudsman if the company did not withdraw the campaign.

But GB, which is owned by Unilever, said it didn't see what all the fuss was about.

Petronella Warg, the company's information officer, told The Local that the original Nogger ice cream had been around since 1979 and derived its name from the nougat filling.

"That was brown - and nobody complained about that," she said.

The new variety includes liquorice and is black, so "Nogger Black" apparently seemed like a natural name.

"I think what they say about the ads alluding to black hip hop culture is far-fetched," said Warg.

"Drawing a heart in the school playground with two names in, that's my culture."

According to Petronella Warg, the company had "a couple of complaints" from consumers when the ice cream was first launched a couple of weeks ago but "it was no big deal".

Nevertheless, she added that GB would listen to what the Centre Against Racism had to say.

"If anyone is really offended then we will take that into account."

Aftonbladet's readers appeared to support GB's view on the matter. Of almost 50,000 people who answered the question "Do you think the ice cream advertisement is racist?" 94% said no.

Sources: Svenska Dagbladet, Aftonbladet
http://www.thelocal.se/article.php?ID=1277&date=20050413

anonymaus
Thursday, April 14th, 2005, 04:05 AM
:negroid: !

Quite amusing, even moreso because the anti-racists have had their little balloon popped so quickly this time - I'm skeptical, but I can almost see some hope ;)

Death and the Sun
Thursday, April 14th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Well, this "Centre Against Racism" of course has to see racism everywhere, in order to keep their jobs. Nobody loves racism more than the people whose "job" it is to oppose it -- if their organization succeeded in its mission, it would also make itself redundant and these people would be unemployed.

That's why all these studies about how multiculturalism and "tolerance" are increasing always end in an alarmist note: "but there are still huge problems and a long way to go".

Death and the Sun
Thursday, April 14th, 2005, 08:31 AM
By the way, how do you like these great ads from the days of yore:

Pic one:

Only the African Negro does not BET. All others bet and WIN! Now you can bet on exciting team sports. By placing bets with us you support sports education for youth.

Pic two:

For Christmas present! A game a Negro never gets tired of!

Some people have made of the mistake of thinking that negroes are patient, because they play their KOLOKOLO for days on end. But try this game for yourself, now available in a civilized form for Finns!

You will notice that the excitement of the game makes not only negroes "patient".

This entertainting game is an ideal Christmas present for the whole family and its price is only 60 marks, the more affordable version is 22 marks.

http://personal.inet.fi/taide/viitasusi/images/veikkaus.jpg

http://personal.inet.fi/taide/viitasusi/images/kolo2.jpg

IlPrincipe
Thursday, April 14th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Actually i published a thread on this subject yesterday (next to this). And here is the voting from the swedish people:

Do you consider the ice cream as rascistic:

The poll as now
Yes (5.7 %)
No (94.3 %)

And i might add that this is not the first time when our candy are under fire from the cosomopolitan. Last year they wanted to change the very classic "Negerbollar" (translated in english to "niggerballs" :negro000: after a loyal citizen went crazy after thinking of it (or it might been a store who sold it?)

In Karlskrona they changed a plate (which welcomed foreigners to the town) due to that a blonde family figured in it, the motivation were some underlined "Third Reich Propaganda".

Otherwise, welcome to sweden :flagge12:

Sonja
Thursday, April 14th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Sorry about that, IlPrincipe. I don't tend to read the Swedish threads because... I can't speak Swedish. But I should have checked anyway. :frown:

In Karlskrona they changed a plate (which welcomed foreigners to the town) due to that a blonde family figured in it, the motivation were some underlined "Third Reich Propaganda".

Otherwise, welcome to sweden :flagge12:Typical... too white = racist, even in native European land.
:icon1:

IlPrincipe
Thursday, April 14th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Well, dont worry. Actually i think it“s good you wrote it so as many as possible could read about the SICKNESS going on in our country.

Rehnskiöld
Thursday, April 14th, 2005, 04:03 PM
This could actually be quite good propaganda for us.

On my way home today, I listened to a mainstream radio channel and the speaker brought this up, she reacted against this ridiculous thing, she spoke about it and ended that in the future maybee you wouldn't be allowed to wish for a white chrismas, as it would be racist, wouldn't be allowed to get white certains and so on...

It is interesting because you never hear this kind of negative reaction towards anything "anti-racist" from mainstream media. Maybee the speaker was a nationalist who had lured her way in there but I think not. Rather, this is splendid, the "anti-racists" has made complete fools out of them selves and not only has they lowered peoples confidence in them but also peoples idea of "racism", this will decrease the strong negative feelings associated with the word and I think a lot of people could start thinking about "racism" and how this word is used, by whom and in what purpose.

They have done us a favor!

Erlingr Hįrbaršarson
Thursday, April 14th, 2005, 09:31 PM
This could actually be quite good propaganda for us.

On my way home today, I listened to a mainstream radio channel and the speaker brought this up, she reacted against this ridiculous thing, she spoke about it and ended that in the future maybee you wouldn't be allowed to wish for a white chrismas, as it would be racist, wouldn't be allowed to get white certains and so on...

It is interesting because you never hear this kind of negative reaction towards anything "anti-racist" from mainstream media. Maybee the speaker was a nationalist who had lured her way in there but I think not. Rather, this is splendid, the "anti-racists" has made complete fools out of them selves and not only has they lowered peoples confidence in them but also peoples idea of "racism", this will decrease the strong negative feelings associated with the word and I think a lot of people could start thinking about "racism" and how this word is used, by whom and in what purpose.

They have done us a favor!

I needed to hear some good news. :beer-smil Would you happen to have know of who the speaker was or the name?

Rehnskiöld
Friday, April 15th, 2005, 10:24 AM
I needed to hear some good news. Would you happen to have know of who the speaker was or the name?

I'll look into it later this afternoon/evening