PDA

View Full Version : Bouncers fired for ethnic looks

Sonja
Wednesday, April 13th, 2005, 10:22 PM
One of the companies owned by property magnate Olav Thon has fired bouncers at the bar and restaurant The Scotsman because they were giving the establishment a foreign look.

http://cache.aftenposten.no/multimedia/archive/00276/FEIL_HUDFARGE__0239_276186h.jpg
Jalal Yousuf, head of security company SSG, was stunned to hear
they were being dumped for giving the Scotsman an "Ali Baba" look.
PHOTO: HEIKO JUNGE / SCANPIX

The security company at the Scotsman in Oslo were informed that they were making the entrance look like an asylum seeker center, NRK (Norwegian Broadcasting) reports.

In a sound recording manager Jar Erik Schultz in the Thon company Resthon explains that the security firm is being dismissed because there were too few Norwegians on the door at the Scotsman.

"It looks like Ali Baba owns the place and not Olav Thon," Schultz said. The manager continues to say that these viewpoints are not his own but come from higher up.

The conversation took place between Schultz and Jalal Yousuf, manager of security company SSG.

"I was rather shocked. It is not exactly customary to end an agreement in that way. It was a strange experience," Yousuf told Norwegian news agency NTB.

Yousuf said that he had not yet decided whether to file complaint but felt it was most important that the matter get public attention.

"I wouldn't be surprised if similar things have happened in other places. Several acquaintances have said to me that this is a familiar situation when they hear about it," Yousuf said.

Magne Kristensen, lawyer for the Thon Group, denied that racism was at the root of the dismissal.

"There are purely business reasons related to delivery and service that are behind the decision," Kristensen said.

Oslo's clubs and night spots are periodically accused of racist admission policies.

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1016575.ece?rfid=rss1.0

The Horned God
Wednesday, April 13th, 2005, 11:57 PM
manager Jar Erik Schultz in the Thon company Resthon explains that the security firm is being dismissed because there were too few Norwegians on the door at the Scotsman.

If they can get away with saying such things openly, then great, but I am fairly sure the security company could make a legal case for racial discrimination.

I don't see why it was nessesary for the question of race to be brought up in this case. If a client is unhappy with a security company then it is customary simply not to renew the contract when it reaches it's end, usually contracts are reviewed on a yearly basis. No explaination need be given other than "wanting a change" thats how it is in Ireland anyway.
It looks to me like the proprietor is looking to make a stand on the issue of being allowed to choose whom he employs on the basis of race.
It will be interesting to see if this causes much of a fuss.

Sonja
Thursday, April 14th, 2005, 11:13 PM
City spots want to be "white"
Oslo's bars, restaurants and clubs want a "white" image and discrimination of employees with a multi-cultural background is a widespread problem.

http://cache.aftenposten.no/multimedia/archive/00276/Demo__024074_jpg_276548h.jpg
An impromptu demonstration at the Scotsman by the
Workers Youth Front (AUF) protested the racist policies of
employers. The banner reads: Stop Racist Bosses!

PHOTO: Tor Richardsen / SCANPIX

Newspaper Dagsavisen has looked into the incident reported by NRK (Norwegian Broadcasting) on Wednesday, where a security firm was dismissed because the bouncers they provided for bar/restaurant The Scotsman in downtown Oslo 'made the place look like an asylum seeker reception'.

Samad Elhami, of Pakistani origin, said he was fired by The Scotsman before on the grounds of his dark looks, but this story is one that is heard at regular intervals about Oslo's nightlife spots, though most often from potential guests who feel they are barred because of their ethnic origin.

"Many restaurants and bars think like this but very few cases become known," Elisabeth Haugseth at the Center for Combating Ethnic Discrimination (SMED). Haugseth would not comment on the possibility that property tycoon Olav Thon, owner of the company behind the Scotsman firing, was worse than others.

"But we get the impression that this is a systematic mentality when it comes from so high up in the Olav Thon Group," Haugseth told Dagsavisen.

Claus Jervell of the Oslo Hotel and Restaurant Employee Union said that complaints of discrimination are common but tend to be very difficult to substantiate, and also stressed that the problem was more widespread than just establishments in the Thon Group.

Dagsavisen reported that they had heard much of the tape recording of Jalal Yousuf's SSG security. SSG decided to tape the conversation when the Thon Group refused to supply a written explanation of why they wanted to stop using the company.

According to Dagsavisen the tape contains remarks of "a serious racist character".

Yousuf called the remarks "pure racism" and said he was getting out of hospitality security since the industry was permeated with racism. SSG has engaged legal counsel and filed charges against the Thon Group on Wednesday.

The Thon Group was apologetic, and concern director Dag Tangevald-Jensen said the company took exception to the remarks if they were reported correctly.

Tangevald-Jensen said that the remarks were from one of their 4,000 employees, the manager of the Scotsman, and not in line with Thon Group policy. Tangevald-Jensen said the manager had been suspended but no final decision had been made about possible consequences.

(Aftenposten Web Desks/NTB)
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1017608.ece?rfid=rss1.0

The Horned God
Friday, April 15th, 2005, 12:16 AM
Well, that makes more sense, the hooha is all due to one out-spoken middle manager shooting his mouth off and getting caught out by a tape-recorder. Typical. Nobody was forcing him to give the real reason.

Ulex
Friday, April 15th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Look at the picture from the demonstration. The customers relaxing in the background don't seem to care about the red scum with the banner.

If I was there at that very momont, I too would pop in for a beer and some peanuts. I would drink the beer while throwing peanuts at the demonstrators. Just feeding the animals.

Oskorei
Friday, April 15th, 2005, 03:37 PM
This is great news. Probably the reason is "money talking", with native Norwegian customers don't wishing to be controlled by aliens, and so choosing pubs with native bouncers. I would personally strongly dislike having a racial and cultural alien controlling me (be it a bouncer, an employer, a landlord or a social secretary), and maybe the average Norwegain has enough ethnicity to feel something similar.

DreamWalker
Saturday, April 16th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Samad Elhami, of Pakistani origin, said he was fired by The Scotsman before on the grounds of his dark looks, but this story is one that is heard at regular intervals about Oslo's nightlife spots, though most often from potential guests who feel they are barred because of their ethnic origin.

This is becoming more comon in the USA as well, in spite of the Race-mixing propaganda, healthy women do not want anything to do with blacks. But the non-Whites do not want to take "NO" for an answer, and when the girls move to the other end of the club, the blacks follow them and continue to be pests. So with a constant tream of girls leaving the club, management starts doing something, and if they are called "Racist", that is preferable to watching their profits dry up.