PDA

View Full Version : Coppola's 'Lost in Translation'

Death and the Sun
Friday, April 8th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Ever said to yourself: "I wish I had these people's problems"?

Well, with this film you definitely will. This film has "rich daddy's little girl's vanity project" written all over it. Sofia Coppola, Francis Ford Coppola's daughter, has managed to create a film that is absolutely empty, meaningless and very, very dull.

A middle-aged former film star is in Tokyo to do a whisky advert. He's getting paid $2 000 000 for two days' work. And we're supposed to feel sorry for him because he's bored ?!?

The same goes for Scarlett Johansson's character. Is it really so bad to be free to roam a metropolis like Tokio all day, every day?

What an utter waste of time. Yes, Scarlett Johansson is very beautiful, but even that won't keep any female viewers awake.

Other than that, the best thing about this movie were the Japanese firemen who looked just like the Cylons from Battlestar Galactica. :D

White Iceland
Friday, April 8th, 2005, 09:38 PM
I thought the two main characters were well-played. The empty-headed glamour set trapped in their lack-lustre materialism. After sitting through this one I felt a great sense of relief being poor and yet free to come and go as I please without wearing a bought face.

I saw it as a high-brow answer to Tree's Lounge. Equally depressing from a lower strata of society.

Frans_Jozef
Monday, March 5th, 2007, 10:06 PM
More than This : Sofia Coppola's Lost in Translationby Samara Allsop

Sofia Coppola's (2003) Lost in Translation delves into the transitory nature of human life, analysing both the existence and non-existence of relationships and meanings that have the innate ability to transform and change the future direction of a person's perseity. Lost in Translation manages to capture the essence of human emotional fragility, the exquisiteness made all the more sweeter and poignant as it is often fleeting and as such impermanent. Coppola has managed to capture the vulnerability and strength of human interactions, ill-fated though they may often seem, they inevitably make an indelible impression that is long lasting and whose effects are far reaching.

Read the study HERE (http://cinetext.philo.at/magazine/allsop/lostintranslation.html)

Kurtz
Monday, March 5th, 2007, 10:54 PM
I loved that movie. I consider it pure cinematographic poetry, for example I watched the scene where Johansson walks across a pound and see a marriage, with that awesome Air song which got struck in my head for so many times. EDIT: this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=086skPC2uLI

One of the few movies, if not the only one, I saw which contains almost no action, no linear progression but remains interesting from the beginning to the very end.

Thusnelda
Monday, March 5th, 2007, 11:36 PM
I bought Lost in Translation on DVD months ago. I love the atmosphere of this movie. :) I dont know...normally I dont like urban enviroments, but this movie is a real expection. :) The end is somehow melancholic and sad. No one knows what Bill Murray whispered intos Scarletts ears.

Bill Murray is acting just fantastic. Scarlett Johannson plays her role very good, too. I love this movie, but yet I dont know why specifically. Itīs maybe all.

This musicvideo brings back the mood you have while watching the movie very fastly back withhin few minutes! :)
(Always if I hear Brian Ferry with "More than this", Ive to think automatically to that karaoke scene in Lost in Translation)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s6g27hsuws