PDA

View Full Version : Frank Herbert's Children of Dune (three-part miniseries)

Death and the Sun
Thursday, April 7th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Another decent but still flawed rendition of Frank Herbert's classic novels.

"Children of Dune" is a three-part miniseries produced for the Sci-Fi channel -- with all that implies: dodgy CGI, wooden acting and silly wardrobes. Not that that really bothers me that much, after all I'm a person who loved "Star Trek Nemesis". :rolleyes:

Nevertheless, the first 90-minute installment is far above average Sci-Fi Channel fare. Despite the title, it is actually based on "Dune Messiah", covering the period between the end of Muad'Dib's galactic Jihad and the births of Leto and Ghanima. This is by far the best part of the three, entirely because of the better source material. Parts two and three are as disappointing as the novel they are based on: confusing and strained, with an oddly anticlimactic ending.

Paul Atreides/Muad'Dib is played a by pretty wooden unknown by the name of Alec Newman, and his performance is decent considering the average of the talent here. Daniela Amavia is deliciously feisty as Alia, but in the latter two parts the script doesn't do her justice.

Susan Sarandon is the only big star, in the role of Wensicia Corrino. Other remarkable performances include Julie Cox as Princess Irulan and especially Steven Berkoff as Stilgar.

Summa summarum: far above the David Lynch debacle, but still inferior to the original miniseries. For fanboys (or girls) only.

Available in an affordable double-DVD pack.

http://www.allsf.net/Images/SFcinema/Children%20of%20Dune%2001.jpg

http://www.thedune.ru/cod/gallery/night2/09_worms.jpg

http://www.thedune.ru/cod/gallery/night2/15_alia.jpg

http://www.thedune.ru/cod/gallery/night2/27_stranger.jpg

Agrippa
Thursday, April 7th, 2005, 04:58 PM
"Star Trek Nemesis". :icon_surp

You didnt like the movie of David Lynch? Why? I think he did a great job, just some smaller mistakes...

Would be interesting of all the "good ones" are more or less North Atlantid in this version too. :scratch:

The Horned God
Thursday, April 7th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Would be interesting of all the "good ones" are more or less North Atlantid in this version too. :scratch:

Interesting, have you any theories on why that might be?

The Horned God
Thursday, April 7th, 2005, 05:42 PM
The images above look good, except the way they have done the blue eyes they look really stupid and, apart from CG, only bio-luminesence could make them glow like that, and Frank Herbert never said the eyes glowed.

Death and the Sun
Thursday, April 7th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Well, I'm a part-time Trekkie, I offer no excuses. :blushing:

You didnt like the movie of David Lynch? Why? I think he did a great job, just some smaller mistakes...

Actually, the reason for that version's failure is not (entirely) Lynch's fault. What he wanted to do was a television miniseries, kind of like "Twin Peaks in outer space" if you will. But the production company insisted on a threatrical release, so the end result was two hours of admittedly impressive scenes that have nothing to do with each other.

But I admit that I'm also biased against David Lynch. I think he's among the most overrated filmmakers ever; and I think a psychiatrist could use "Lost Highway" and "Mulholland Drive" to base a diagnosis of clinical insanity on.

The images above look good, except the way they have done the blue eyes they look really stupid and, apart from CG, only bio-luminesence could make them glow like that, and Frank Herbert never said the eyes glowed.

Actually that image is from a scene where Alia is overdosing on spice. In most other scenes the blue eyes look a lot more realistic.

Agrippa
Thursday, April 7th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Well, I'm a part-time Trekkie, I offer no excuses.

Me too, at least in the past, but Nemesis was weak.
But the film with one of the most hate messages for me was a Star Trek movie, namely "Insurrection". It was the total opposite of my collective oriented and rational moral and the most extreme representation of the individualistic oriented new left-liberal moral of the political correct idiots.

Was "Will" the director? Man, I hate that movie and the moral sooo much, even if I wasnt spoiled by other messages of Star Trek either.

The best movie might have been the "Borg action". :guinness:

I agree that Lynch is overrated and most of his movies are rather insane, no masterpieces at all, but "Dune" was one of his best imo, though the movie has boring passages.

I know two people which fell asleep during watching it... :rolleyes:
Even my girlfriend when I was with her, I tried to keep her awake, but it was unsuccessful...on the other hand I can give credit to her when I'm saying she was already very tired at this evening. *lol*

Death and the Sun
Friday, April 8th, 2005, 04:50 PM
I don't really remember much about "Insurrection", but I agree that "First Contact" is the best NG Trek film.

Of course, there's no topping "The Wrath of Khan". :viking1:

Btw, if you think Borgs are cool, why not visit www.bushbusiness.com :D

http://www.renaissanceastrology.com/images/borg.gif