PDA

View Full Version : Exorcise Hallgerd for me!

Sigel
Tuesday, April 5th, 2005, 04:06 PM
“He said to Hallgerd, ‘Let me have two locks of your hair, and help my mother plait them into a bow-string for me”.

Since first reading Njal’s Saga, I have been haunted by the character of Hallgerd; strikingly beautiful, arrogant, volatile, passionate and ruthless. Both her husbands had occasion to slap her face, and both died for it.

I liked her last husband Gunnar. He was a typical heroic Norseman. He didn’t always get it right but did he deserve the betrayal?

What do you guys think about Hallgerd’s behaviour? Was it right to exact revenge in such a manner?

Sigel

Lundi
Tuesday, April 5th, 2005, 04:23 PM
[B]
What do you guys think about Hallgerd’s behaviour? Was it right to exact revenge in such a manner?

well killing them was maybe a bit harsh, but Hallgerđur lived in a time in Iceland where only the ruthless survived, also her father did warn them that she was Ill-tempered, they should have taken heed to that remark before slapping her :P

Sigel
Tuesday, April 5th, 2005, 04:48 PM
they should have taken heed to that remark before slapping her :P
They certainly should but do you think that her behaviour was still within the boundaries of the Norse code of honour, or did she overstep the mark?

I can't decide.