PDA

View Full Version : iTunes attacked from Norway

Fox
Thursday, March 31st, 2005, 04:04 AM
Norway's 'DVD Jon' breaks through Apple's iTunes: report

Wed Mar 30, 8:31 AM ET

Technology - AFP

OSLO (AFP) - A young Norwegian who drew the ire of the Hollywood movie industry by breaking the encryption code for DVDs has now devised a computer program to circumvent Apple's antipiracy system for its iTunes music download service, Norwegian media reported.

The program, called PyMusique, makes it possible for users to use iTunes on all operating systems and not just the authorized systems Microsoft Windows and Apple's Mac Os, financial daily Dagens Naeringsliv (DN) said.

Jon Lech Johansen, 21, known in cyberspace as DVD Jon, created the program with two partners.

With PyMusique, users still have to pay for the tunes they want, but once paid for they can use them freely with no limits on copying, transfers or burning.

"This seemingly harmless discovery could have significant financial consequences for Apple, which today has a dominant position in the sale of digital music and which to a great extent locks the user into employing the solutions chosen by the company," DN said.

DVD Jon was not available for comment on Wednesday. The PyMusique programme was not immediately accessible on his blog, entitled "So sue me".

Johansen became famous for creating, at age 15, the DeCSS computer program that decrypts DVDs and distributing it on the Internet, leading Hollywood's powerful Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) to bring copyright infringement charges against him in Norway.

Johansen argued that he created DeCSS with two friends in order to develop a DVD player for the computer operating system Linux for his own use, not to copy DVD movies.

He said he could not be held responsible if people used the program to make pirated copies of DVDs.

He was acquitted by an Oslo district court in early 2003 and again by an appeals court later that year.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1509&ncid=1292&e=1&u=/afp/20050330/tc_afp/norwayitinternet

Naggaroth
Thursday, March 31st, 2005, 11:00 AM
This is correct, and I also have to ad that the MPAA and Hollywood lost a trial in the Norwegian court for just some weeks ago. The reason was that as you mentioned, he did it to have the opportunity to make a DVD-player with program for Linux and Unix as well.Why others have used it to copy pirate DVD's I don't know, but he can't be judged for something that was ment to be a help for Linux and Unix users.

bocian
Thursday, March 31st, 2005, 01:36 PM
Brilliant kid. He's half Polish, btw.

Naggaroth
Thursday, March 31st, 2005, 02:43 PM
And what do you mean by that? Who is half Polish? DVD-Jon or Fox? Not Jon, He is totally a Norwegian!

The Horned God
Thursday, March 31st, 2005, 02:44 PM

How on earth does a 15 year old go about doing something like that? Sounds more like a project for a PhD in software engineering.

The kid must surely be a certifiable genius, but just think of how much smarter he might have been if he hadn't those dumb Polak genes taking the edge off him! :rofl:

JOKE!.

Erlingr Hįrbaršarson
Thursday, March 31st, 2005, 02:50 PM
:rofl:

I am sorry to laugh, but...

Fox
Thursday, March 31st, 2005, 04:14 PM
DVD-Jon or Fox? Not Jon, He is totally a Norwegian!

Not fox either, he is totally polish-free :viking4:

bocian
Thursday, March 31st, 2005, 11:16 PM
...The kid, Jon, is half Polish. His mother is Polish. His second name is Lech, after Walesa.

I really don't care where this 'fox' is from.