PDA

View Full Version : Treatment of the Elderly

Fox
Tuesday, March 15th, 2005, 07:04 PM
How do each of you evaluate your country's treatment of the elderly?
In the US, I hear too many horror stories about the abuses that the elderly endure when moved into nursing homes. This is particularly disturbing me because I have a grandfather who is not doing so well physically anymore, but his mind is still sharp so he would be experiencing all of that abuse consciously if moved into a home.

NSFreja
Tuesday, March 15th, 2005, 07:14 PM
How do each of you evaluate your country's treatment of the elderly?
In the US, I hear too many horror stories about the abuses that the elderly endure when moved into nursing homes. This is particularly disturbing me because I have a grandfather who is not doing so well physically anymore, but his mind is still sharp so he would be experiencing all of that abuse consciously if moved into a home. Don't ever send him to a nursing home in Sweden!!!!!!!!!!!!! He wouldn't survive long.
Many horror stories about it here too, with elder people starve to death, get maggots in their wounds, broken legs without treatment etc etc...the list can be made long, belive me.

/M

Todesritter
Tuesday, March 15th, 2005, 08:24 PM
I fear in the US, as with other Western countries, were life expectancies have increased so, the elderly are not afforded the respect and support they deserve in society. Nursing and retirement homes, even for the moderately well financed elderly are often places where the staff becomes poorly motivated, and treats the elderly persons as product rather than ‘an Elder’. It shames me to see Americans send their aged to these places to be forgotten, while they pursue material fulfillment, often with the proceeds of the estate of their elder.

Had I my druthers, and we were reengineering society to provide the best features of the ancient village based community and the modern ability to prolong both life and quality of life, we would determine an optimum number of ‘community centers’ or village/community centers, and the elderly would have their center as a portion of this complex, in addition to children out of school having this as a place to go if both parents worked. Many studies seem to indicate that youth and elderly benefit from contact with one another. In addition, this approach, where all but the most demented elderly were still included as a participating member of the neighborhood/community, would not allow for the aged to be forgotten, and any potential abuse to be ignored.

Death and the Sun
Tuesday, March 15th, 2005, 09:15 PM
We hear some horror stories here too, but they're nowhere near as severe as Guest mentioned. I had two grandparents who were institutionalized for years toward the end of their life, and I really don't have any complaints about the way they were treated - and this was a public institution, not a private one. But things are getting worse. The staff are overworked and stressed, and budgets get cut.

Finland is more prosperous than ever, but our idiot politicians tell us we can't afford to look after the people who created the prosperity in the first place. It makes me angry. :viking4:

I would say that in general in Finland the old-timers are usually esteemed and appreciated. But then again, they are in all succesful nations and peoples.