PDA

View Full Version : London: Black Boys 'should be separated' from classes

Loki
Monday, March 7th, 2005, 07:34 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4323979.stm

Black boys 'should be separated'

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40897000/jpg/_40897349_black_boys_bbc203.jpg
Black boys' exam results are below average

Black boys may have to be separated from their classmates to help improve their school performance, says the Commission for Racial Equality.

The group's head, Trevor Phillips, also suggested black fathers should be denied access to their sons if they refuse to attend parents' evenings.

But teachers have warned the ideas could fall foul of anti-racism laws.

Last year 36% of Black Caribbean pupils in England got five or more C-grades at GCSE. The national average is 52%.

'Embrace the unpalatable'

Mr Phillips said a lack of self-esteem and positive role models for black boys also compounded the problem, as well as an attitude that being clever is not cool.

"If the only way to break through the wall of attitude that surrounds black boys is to teach them separately in some classes, then we should be ready for that," he said.

It may be necessary to "embrace some new if unpalatable ideas both at home and at school" to avoid the mistakes of the past 40 years, Mr Phillips said.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gifhttp://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/start_quote_rb.gif If they can't be bothered to turn up for parents' evening, should they expect automatic access to their sons? http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/end_quote_rb.gif

Trevor Phillips

"A tough new strategy would compel black fathers to be responsible fathers.

"If they can't be bothered to turn up for parents' evening, should they expect automatic access to their sons?"

He also called for more male black teachers, tempting them with extra cash if necessary.

Mr Phillips' comments were not aimed at black girls - GCSE results in England show that "black African" girls are scoring higher grades than "white British" boys.

'Counter-productive'

Martin Ward, deputy general secretary of the Secondary Heads Association, told The Times: "Clearly there is scope for schools to help all children who are doing badly.

"But to single out black children for special treatment could be counter-productive and even illegal."

Chris Keates, general secretary of the National Association of Schoolmasters and Union of Women Teachers, also rejected segregation.

"This has been an area of concern for people in education for a long time and I understand (Mr Phillips') motivation and welcome his interest.

"But I think with things like this that it needs to be left to the professional judgement of schools."

'Demonised for failure'

Simon Woolley, co-ordinator of Operation Black Vote, said the issue was "complex" - citing social factors such as poor housing and fractured family life.

"I would prefer to focus on these things first before we start blaming the victims - and demonise them for their failure.

"However, it is true that the bling-bling and gangster rap culture does not help."

In filming for BBC's Inside Out programme, Mr Phillips returned to his old school in Wood Green, north London.

He described himself as "one of the few lucky ones" to escape the fate of most of his generation. Mr Phillips, who received an OBE in 1999, has made controversial statements in the past. Last October he wrote an article which seemed to suggest he believed policemen in general are racist - an allegation he denied.

Lundi
Monday, March 7th, 2005, 10:54 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4323979.stm

Black boys may have to be separated from classmates to help improve school performance, the head of the Commission for Racial Equality has suggested.

Trevor Phillips also suggested black fathers not living with their sons should be denied access if they refused to attend parents' evenings.

But teachers have warned the ideas could fall foul of anti-racism laws.

Last year 36% of Black Caribbean pupils in England got five or more C-grades at GCSE. The national average is 52%.

'Embrace the unpalatable'

Mr Phillips said a lack of self-esteem and positive role models for black boys also compounded the problem, as well as an attitude that being clever is not cool.

"If the only way to break through the wall of attitude that surrounds black boys is to teach them separately in some classes, then we should be ready for that," he said.

It may be necessary to "embrace some new if unpalatable ideas both at home and at school" to avoid the mistakes of the past 40 years, Mr Phillips said.

"A tough new strategy would compel black fathers to be responsible fathers.

"If they can't be bothered to turn up for parents' evening, should they expect automatic access to their sons?"

He also called for more male black teachers, tempting them with extra cash if necessary.

Mr Phillips' comments were not aimed at black girls - GCSE results in England show that "black African" girls are scoring higher grades than "white British" boys.

'Counter-productive'

Martin Ward, deputy general secretary of the Secondary Heads Association, told The Times: "Clearly there is scope for schools to help all children who are doing badly.

"But to single out black children for special treatment could be counter-productive and even illegal."

Chris Keates, general secretary of the National Association of Schoolmasters and Union of Women Teachers, also rejected segregation.

"This has been an area of concern for people in education for a long time and I understand (Mr Phillips') motivation and welcome his interest.

"But I think with things like this that it needs to be left to the professional judgement of schools."

Shahid Malik, chairman of the Labour Party's ethnic minority forum and a former CRE commissioner, said that there was scope within the existing equality laws for such "positive action".

He said he thought Mr Phillips comments had been taken slightly out of context, but that "many African-Caribbean people would feel it was a debate whose time had come".

'Demonised for failure'

Simon Woolley, co-ordinator of Operation Black Vote, said the issue was "complex" - citing social factors such as poor housing and fractured family life.

"I would prefer to focus on these things first before we start blaming the victims - and demonise them for their failure.

"However, it is true that the bling-bling and gangster rap culture does not help."

Former chief inspector of schools, Chris Woodhead, told BBC News he was sceptical and believed shortcomings in schools were down to a failure to teach literacy, a failure of expectation and a failure to develop an appropriate vocational curriculum.

"I am not sure myself that dividing up the children, teaching black boys separately, is the answer," he said.

In filming for BBC's Inside Out programme, Mr Phillips returned to his old school in Wood Green, north London.

He described himself as "one of the few lucky ones" to escape the fate of most of his generation.

Mr Phillips, who received an OBE in 1999, has made controversial statements in the past.

Last October he wrote an article which seemed to suggest he believed policemen in general are racist - an allegation he denied.

Lundi
Monday, March 7th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Just noticed this has been posted by Loki already here (http://www.forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=7383) 3 hours prior to my post, I apologize :redface:

Sigel
Monday, March 7th, 2005, 02:02 PM
I read that too and wasn't quite sure what to make of it. On the one hand Trevor Phillips is coming clean on the "unspeakable", but on the other, there must be a hidden agenda. Perhaps more money & resources, smaller class sizes etc. for Black boys only.
Do I smell 'positive discrimination' in the air?

Death and the Sun
Monday, March 7th, 2005, 04:35 PM
I read that too and wasn't quite sure what to make of it. On the one hand Trevor Phillips is coming clean on the "unspeakable", but on the other, there must be a hidden agenda. Perhaps more money & resources, smaller class sizes etc. for Black boys only.
Do I smell 'positive discrimination' in the air?

I smell the very same foul stench that you do:

He also called for more male black teachers, tempting them with extra cash if necessary

Won't these people ever learn? It could not be any more obvious that blacks will never cut it in a White society.

SaveEurope
Monday, March 7th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Something is fishy about this.

Theudanaz
Tuesday, March 8th, 2005, 06:57 AM
Race watchdog suggests separate classes for black boys

Mon Mar 7,11:56 AM ET

LONDON (AFP) - The government should consider educating black boys in separate classes from their white peers in order to help them perform better, the head of the race relations watchdog suggested.

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20050307/thumb.sge.qqh13.070305165653.photo00.pho to.default-304x384.jpg (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/050307/photos_wl_uk_afp/050307165659_t7qs0mar_photo0)
AFP/File Photo (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/050307/photos_wl_uk_afp/050307165659_t7qs0mar_photo0)

Trevor Phillips, chairman of the Commission for Racial Equality, also told the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) it might make sense to deny black fathers access to their sons if they refuse to attend school parents' evenings.

Pillips told BBC1's Inside Out program that many black boys were held back by a culture where being clever was frowned upon and that they lacked self-esteem and good role models.

"If the only way to break through the wall of attitude that surrounds black boys is to teach them separately for some subjects, then we should be ready for that," Phillips said.

"A tough new strategy would compel black fathers to be responsible fathers," he said. "If they can't be bothered to turn up for parents' evening, should they expect automatic access to their sons?"

He added: "We need more male black teachers, tempting them with extra cash if necessary. "I was one of the few lucky ones who escaped the fate of most black men of my generation.

Figures published last month showed black teenagers continued to lag far behind their white classmates at the General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE), although there were signs the gap was narrowing.

Department for Education and Skills figures showed 47.4 percent of white boys obtained five or more grades A plus to C at the GCSE and equivalent, compared to 31.9 percent for black boys.

Gypsies and travelers of Irish heritage performed less well than other white boys at 23.3 percent and 15 percent respectively, while Black Caribbean boys did less well at 27.3 percent than their Black African peers at 37.3 percent.

Those of Indian and Chinese backgrounds topped the list of male pupils, with some 69.5 of Chinese and 61.6 percent of Indians making the grade. Pakistani boys trailed at 38.8 percent.

Meanwhile, some 45.9 percent of all black girls earned five or more top GCSE grades, not only outpacing black boys but reflecting a trend in which girls outperformed boys in all ethnic groups except Gypsies.

The national average for all boys was 46.8 percent, and 51.9 percent for girls.

A Department for Education and Skills spokesman said progress was being made and ethnic minorities were "closing the gap", but there was "no room for complacency".

The proportion of black pupils achieving "five or more A plus to C grades at GCSE and equivalent in 2004 has improved by more than 2.5 percent against the average improvement of 1.2 percent," he said.

The Commission for Racial Equality is a publicly funded, non-governmental body set up under the Race Relations Act 1976 to tackle racial discrimination and promote racial equality, it said on its website.

Dr. Solar Wolff
Tuesday, March 8th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Let's just go straight to vocational education for black boys. Give them a test and see if they are suited to be janitors or if they have the spark of Black genius in them and they should be trained to be rap musicians or pimps.

ChrisDownUnder
Tuesday, March 8th, 2005, 08:06 AM
There has been a lot of media attention recently on the 'underachievement' of negro children in UK schools. From the BBC alone:

7th Mar 05: Schools 'failing black children' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4325003.stm)

"Black Parents in Education says there is an attitude in schools that young black boys will fail."

21st Feb 05: Duncan Smith opens black school (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4283917.stm)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/Christopher1488/Web%20Photos/untermenschen.jpg

The Duncan-Smiths with their fellow 'Englishmen'

Former Conservative leader Ian Duncan-Smith says:
"I strongly believe that the solutions to educational failure lie within the communities blighted by it. If every black child could attend a school as good as Tabernacle, black educational underachievement would be reversed very quickly." :icon12:

7th Sep 04: 'More black teachers are needed' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/3633026.stm) (Demands at least 1/3 of London teachers and governors must be Black or Asian)

22nd Oct 04: Science 'excludes black people' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3762784.stm)

Dr Elizabeth Rasekoala of ACNST (African-Caribbean Network for Science and Technology) :rolleyes: says: "The profound irony is that the UK is a First World country with a first class education system that cannot produce its own black scientists"

:annoysigr Naughty racist science :annoysigr

When will the authorities realise that despite the abolition of so-called 'negative stereotypes', the allocation of massive amounts of resources, support, understanding and 'belief', African students will still not be able to compete with White or East Asian students because of an innate intellectual difference between the races.

Northern Paladin
Tuesday, March 8th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Where Negros are you can be sure of 2 things. One a decline of school quality and 2 a decline of real estate value.

It's a proven fact. And they say race is not a factor...uhuh. :scratch:

Siegfried
Tuesday, March 8th, 2005, 09:55 AM
This reminds me of some statistics I recently saw. It seems that, in the Netherlands, White schools score best. Coloured schools score significantly lower. No surprise there, but it turned out that mixed schools score even worse.

Fenrisulfr
Tuesday, March 8th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Integration will never work if these negroes can't function in regular schools,nor will it reduce racism. Ergo - I'ts not a good P.C. agenda.

Again,this problem one would never have in a country where immigration policies were somewhat reasonable.....

Glory
Tuesday, March 8th, 2005, 11:33 AM
If this does happen it will be great for English whites to not go to school with these monsters and it'll be like the good old days in American when you had all white schools (that's what your parents and grandparents really mean). I hope the teachers are non white because I will feel sorry if a white person has to be in a class with all of them.

Siegmund
Tuesday, March 8th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Let's just go straight to vocational education for black boys. Give them a test and see if they are suited to be janitors or if they have the spark of Black genius in them and they should be trained to be rap musicians or pimps.
:lol

And here's another thought: highly paid is highly valued - rap musicians and pimps. Says a lot about the abject level of popular culture.

Draco
Tuesday, March 8th, 2005, 09:34 PM
"A tough new strategy would compel black fathers to be responsible fathers"

Well, he's certainly right that responsibility will be a very tough sell.

It's hilarious black fathers must be taught how "to be responsible fathers".

Black Power! :smilies What a farcical concept!

Gorm the Old
Wednesday, March 9th, 2005, 03:16 AM
It doesn't matter whether separate classes in some areas for black students might be beneficial to them or not. The Liberals have decided that "separate is unequal." and that segregation, whether de facto or enforced, cannot be tolerated.
Obviously, by this reasoning, the welfare of the students is unimportant by comparison with "political correctness." That it is demoralizing for students to be placed in classes in which they are ill-prepared to compete with the other students is considered to be irrelevant.
I am pleased to see it acknowledged that culturally deprived black students need remedial education to compete with culturally advantaged white students. It's too bad that the Liberals want to deny them this opportunity to better themselves.