PDA

View Full Version : Germans Discover the Cabbage-Hating Gene

Todesritter
Friday, March 4th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Germans discover the cabbage-hating gene (2 March 2005)

POTSDAM - German researchers have located a gene that makes some people loathe cabbage and spinach in all their forms, and discovered that the same gene often protects people from obesity. The German Institute for Food Research in Potsdam near Berlin said the gene makes some people extraordinarily sensitive to the bitter substances phenylthiocarbamid (PTC) and propylthiouracil (PROP). Most people swallow those substances with a smile.

The scientists, led by Wolfgang Meyerhof, investigated how the gene affects human taste receptor hTAS2R38. People who cannot taste PTC and PROP tended to eat fattier foods and become overweight, so a single gene ends up having a huge effect on eating behaviour.

The research was being published in the journal Current Biology.

Germans discover the cabbage-hating gene (http://www.expatica.com/source/site_article.asp?subchannel_id=52&story_id=17488&name=Germans+discover+the+cabbage-hating+gene)

Sonja
Friday, March 4th, 2005, 06:27 PM
How interesting. I absolutely cannot stand either cabbage or spinach... :speechles

Although I understand that they are both especially healthy.

Nordgau
Friday, March 4th, 2005, 06:36 PM
I guess I also have that gene. On the other side, I've got plenty much pancake-loving genes. :food-smil

Todesritter
Friday, March 4th, 2005, 06:39 PM
How interesting. I absolutely cannot stand either cabbage or spinach... :speechles

Although I understand that they are both especially healthy.
Well, I was raised on kraut and spinach, so anything less than abject love for these vegetables seems heresy to me, and one of my ex-girlfriends claimed she could not even stand the smell of either food. I thought she was making it up and just did not want to stop being fickle of diet and anemically unhealthy, as she was a bit spoiled from my perspective and tended to eat ‘English style’ [mostly pastry and everything else bland and/or boiled]. Now thanks to these German scientists, accepting the credibility of the research, I can admit I may have been wrong, and be less dubious of people who claim they earnestly can’t stand this stuff I personally think of as so tasty and good for ones health.

Perhaps you and she, as well as others are not being 'anti-kraut bigots' but rather share the ‘cabbage-hating gene’. :icon_wink

Xanthochroid
Friday, March 4th, 2005, 06:39 PM
What...? Disliking cabbage and spinach protects from obesity? :speechles :scratch:

Something is not right...

Hagalaz
Friday, March 4th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Cabbage rules!!!!!!! Curse that gene.

Triglav
Saturday, March 5th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Cabbage is a regular part of my diet. See, I've always told you that I'm not anti-kraut. :biggrin:

Nordgau
Saturday, March 5th, 2005, 11:34 PM
You people are all crazy. I wouldn't give a damn if cabbage was extinguished from this earth. :biggrin:

Triglav
Sunday, March 6th, 2005, 12:03 AM
You people are all crazy. I wouldn't give a damn if cabbage was extinguished from this earth. :biggrin:
You fancy yourself as a German, but you don't even do justice to the stereotypes Americans have of you. :biggrin:

Nordgau
Sunday, March 6th, 2005, 03:05 PM
You fancy yourself as a German, but you don't even do justice to the stereotypes Americans have of you. :biggrin:

Oh, shouldn't you munch Cevapcici and wash your throat with Amselfelder instead of spending your time with theorizing about cabbage here, Mr. Tschusch. :biggrin:

By the way:

http://www.einslive.de/daswort/europa/laenderinfo/slowenien_ex.phtml

Ungeschriebenes Gesetz: Jeder echte Slowene muss in seinem Leben einmal auf dem "Triglav" gestanden haben [...]

Brutale Sitten, alles was recht ist, aber hinter dem Loiblpaß beginnt ja schon der wilde Balkan. :biggrin:

Zyklop
Sunday, March 6th, 2005, 04:02 PM
I like both cabbage and spinach. Seems me and Gorostan are the only true Germans here.

Loki
Sunday, March 6th, 2005, 04:05 PM
I like both cabbage and spinach. Seems me and Gorostan are the only true Germans here.
I also like cabbage and spinach. :laugh: But I hate carrots. :speechles

Sonja
Sunday, March 6th, 2005, 04:21 PM
I also like cabbage and spinach. :laugh: But I hate carrots. :speechles
Loki, Carrots are so yummy, and good for you! :animal-sm

Nordgau
Sunday, March 6th, 2005, 06:11 PM

I regard cabbage, as already pointed out, to be as useful as, say, Negroes. Spinach I like only if in little potions surrounded by pasta or if lying symbiotically together with cheese and tomatoes on pizza. The Meds sometimes have good ideas, one must say. :biggrin:

Sonja
Sunday, March 6th, 2005, 08:51 PM
I regard cabbage, as already pointed out, to be as useful as, say, Negroes.
:rofl:

Triglav
Monday, March 7th, 2005, 12:58 AM
Well, the joke stereotype of course has been that Slovenians are the ‘Slavs who yodel’, i.e. they are analogous to the Sorbs/Wends of Germany, Slavs who are largely culturally ‘Germanized’, and thus liked in the German speaking lands, but often criticized by Slavic chauvinists.

Perhaps there is an element of truth to this silliness? :icon_razz
Fiddlesticks...

Northern Paladin
Monday, March 7th, 2005, 01:03 AM
I bet you there is a racist gene...they've found it but just aren't publicizing it.

Triglav
Monday, March 7th, 2005, 01:33 AM
Oh, shouldn't you munch Cevapcici and wash your throat with Amselfelder instead of spending your time with theorizing about cabbage here, Mr. Tschusch. :biggrin:

Upon seemingly having passed a beginner's course in German geography, dear Nordgow ;), I'd suggest you move on to Europe as a whole: ;)

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/bosnia.htm

By the way:

http://www.einslive.de/daswort/europa/laenderinfo/slowenien_ex.phtml

Brutale Sitten, alles, was recht ist, aber hinter dem Loiblpaß beginnt ja schon der wilde Balkan.

Und das ist erst die halbe Miete: ;)

"Kein Wunder, dass sich auf den drei Haupt-Aufstiegswegen an manchen Tagen hunderte Menschen drängeln: Familienväter, Kleinkinder, Berg-Experten, Punks."
;)

Triglav
Monday, March 7th, 2005, 01:39 AM
It surely must suck big time when I'm your staunchest comrade here. :biggrin:

Hagalaz
Monday, March 7th, 2005, 01:56 AM
Gorostan stands proud! :viking1:

Zyklop
Monday, March 7th, 2005, 03:13 PM
It surely must suck big time when I'm your staunchest comrade here. :biggrin:
R1a forever!!! :viking3: