PDA

View Full Version : Desegregating Minds: White Identities and Urban Change in the New South Africa

Loki
Sunday, February 20th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Summary

This thesis examines perceptions of social difference by white residents of South African

cities in general, and Durban in particular, with regard to urban racial desegregation. Under

apartheid, segregated cities were created by a white hegemony that was driven by what can

be called a segregationist mindset, a belief in the existence of discrete racial groupings, and

the importance of keeping such groups apart. As cities have undergone a process of

desegregation over the last two decades, the people who believed in the appropriateness of

racial segregation have been thrown into crisis. This crisis revolves around the mismatch

between old beliefs about the best way to plan and manage an ordered, modern city with

homogenous zones created through the use of strong boundaries, and contemporary realities

of mixing, free transgression across boundaries, creating for some the impression of

disorder. This thesis concentrates on white responses to three forms of desegregation: the

arrival of street traders in the CBD, the arrival of squatters alongside suburbs, and the

arrival of non-white middle class groups in suburbs. Discourse analysis of interviews with

residents and newspaper material explores the way in which segregationist mindsets have

adapted to the new non-racial atmosphere, where separation is no longer justifiable on racial

grounds. In an attempt to avoid the impasse that usually results from debates around the

relative importance of race and class, this discussion argues that the use of both race and

class by whites has to be understood within the broader attempts by white people to achieve

certain senses of themselves through the manipulation of identity and space.

In short, it's a fine thesis on how to achieve brainwashing of white people most successfully in order to have them give up their racial separateness and integrity. An integration strategy. It is purely evil that white people live in their own communities - that should not be tolerated! :mad:

I'll attach the whole study later.

SouthernBoy
Sunday, February 20th, 2005, 11:52 PM
I hate forced integration. They do it in our schools here. They have to have so much of each group. I fear that I will be so vicious after my four years here, but perhaps a hardening of my mindset will not be so bad. :viking4:

NorwegianFury
Monday, February 21st, 2005, 12:33 AM
I hate forced integration.

Amen, brother.