Battle of Tours
Hastings
Bannockburn
Agnicourt
Austerlitz
Waterloo

Rehnskiöld
Friday, February 11th, 2005, 09:17 PM
How much do we really know about the battle at Marathon really? I thought at half it was just mythology.Here's the battles that I find memorable.Those with nice outcome at the top,tragic losses at the bottom:

The battle at Narva "The great king Karl XII and the courageuos dukes Stenbock and Rehnskiöld together with 8000 carolines slay or capture the invading army of 40.000 russians outside the besieged swedish fortress Narva"

Battle at Teoutoburgerwald "Germans ambush and kills 3 invading roman legions to the last man.Comforting example of northmen slaying southener-scum invading their homeland"

Battle of Stalingrad "marks the start of Germanies, and all white peoples fall into the abyss"

The battle at Lützen "The great King Gustav II Adolf is killed"

The battle of Poltava "marks the start of Swedens fall into the abyss"

The Siege of Haldens fortress, Norway "The siege when king Karl XII is killed, probably by a traitor.Marks the final failure of Sweden and the start of its decay,that has been going on ever since"

Folkvang
Friday, February 11th, 2005, 09:23 PM
The Battle for Normandy (6/6/1944)

Battle of the Bulge

Battle of Thermopylae 480 BC

The Battle at Rorke's Drift 1879

The Siege at Syracuse

(Still in debate) The Seige on Troy

The sea battle between Olaf Tryggvason, King Olof of Sweden and Jarl Hakon's son Eric.

The Battle of Hastings in 1066

The Battle of Maldon in 991

The Battle of Trafalgar 1805

The Battle of the Little Big Horn 1876

The Battle of the Alamo 1836

John Paul Jones Battle of Famborough Head, England in 1779

The Battle of Gettysburg 1863

The Battle of Galipoli

The Destruction of the Spanish Armada

Battle of Stalingrad 1942

Bodewin
Friday, February 11th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Most Memorable Battle In History

I would say Troy, although still in debate. Though, the most important battle in modern history is Kursk, IMHO.

Hagalaz
Friday, February 11th, 2005, 10:15 PM
THE BATTLE OF CLONTARF!

http://www.doyle.com.au/images/battle_clontarf.jpg

March of Brian Boru!

http://www.clancian-carroll.com/brian-boru.jpg

Northern Paladin
Friday, February 11th, 2005, 10:26 PM
How much do we really know about the battle at Marathon really? I thought at half it was just mythology.Here's the battles that I find memorable.Those with nice outcome at the top,tragic losses at the bottom:

The battle at Narva "The great king Karl XII and the courageuos dukes Stenbock and Rehnskiöld together with 8000 carolines slay or capture the invading army of 40.000 russians outside the besieged swedish fortress Narva"

Battle at Teoutoburgerwald "Germans ambush and kills 3 invading roman legions to the last man.Comforting example of northmen slaying southener-scum invading their homeland"

Battle of Stalingrad "marks the start of Germanies, and all white peoples fall into the abyss"

The battle at Lützen "The great King Gustav II Adolf is killed"

The battle of Poltava "marks the start of Swedens fall into the abyss"

The Siege of Haldens fortress, Norway "The siege when king Karl XII is killed, probably by a traitor.Marks the final failure of Sweden and the start of its decay,that has been going on ever since"

I'm not sure about the specifics but story goes that 300 hoplites armed with javelins and bows held back over 10,000 Persians as they were trying to go through a moutain pass.

As for the battle of Narva it was a Splendid Swedish victory. Sweden was one of the greatest Powers in Europe during that time. No one would think that looking at modern Swedes today. :laugh:

Nightmare_Gbg
Friday, February 11th, 2005, 11:22 PM
As for the battle of Narva it was a Splendid Swedish victory. Sweden was one of the greatest Powers in Europe during that time. No one would think that looking at modern Swedes today.
Sad but true.

Northern Paladin
Friday, February 11th, 2005, 11:29 PM
As for the battle of Narva it was a Splendid Swedish victory. Sweden was one of the greatest Powers in Europe during that time. No one would think that looking at modern Swedes today.
Sad but true.

Makes you wonder what happened? :icon_sad:

Folkvang
Friday, February 11th, 2005, 11:42 PM
I'm not sure about the specifics but story goes that 300 hoplites armed with javelins and bows held back over 10,000 Persians as they were trying to go through a moutain pass.

Are you refering to Thermopylae? If so, it was a final score of about 1,500 Greeks lost, while they took out over 20,000 Persians (They managed to hold back the Persian army of 250,000 for three days). You have to admire that indominable spirit.

Pan-FinnoUgric
Friday, February 11th, 2005, 11:46 PM
The battle of Narva 1918. 150 Finns liberated that city and beat thousands russians. And Finns almost get Lev Trotski to capture :biggrin:

Bodewin
Friday, February 11th, 2005, 11:48 PM
The battle of Narva 1918. 150 Finns liberated that city and beat thousands russians. And Finns almost get Lev Trotski to capture :biggrin:

That's a shame he got away. :biggrin:

Son of a gun
Friday, February 11th, 2005, 11:54 PM

No offence, but what the hell are you talking about??

Pan-FinnoUgric
Saturday, February 12th, 2005, 12:04 AM
No offence, but what the hell are you talking about??

What do you mean? I talk about Estonian Independence-War and Finns who fought there. And it is true that Trotski escaped from Narva when Finns conquered that city.
:viking1:

Lissu
Saturday, February 12th, 2005, 12:08 AM
The Battle of Tali-Ihantala in summer 1944. It was the biggest battle ever fought in Nordic countries.

NorwegianFury
Saturday, February 12th, 2005, 12:09 AM
I like the battle where 300 professional Scottish mercenaries landed on our shores in 1612.They were hired by the Swedish king to fight the Denmark-Norwegian union. 500 armed and angry Norwegian peasants banded together and ambushed them near a place called Otta. Half of the Scottish troops were killed in the battle. The survivors were shot a few days after. Very few Norwegian peasants died in the battle.

Other than that I would say:
Somme (WWI)
The Battle of Borodino (Napoleonic wars)
Waterloo (Napoleonic wars)
Kursk (WWII)
Kharkov (WWII)
Courland Pocket 44/45 (WWII)

Draugr
Saturday, February 12th, 2005, 12:15 AM
The destrution of Troy.
The battle of Marathon.
The battle of Thermopolae.
The battle of Salamis.
The battle of Aquae Sextiae.
The siege of Alesia.
The battle of Actium.
The battle of Zama.
The destruction Jerusalem by Titus (my middle name in fact) :viking4:
The Milivian Bridge.

Son of a gun
Saturday, February 12th, 2005, 12:16 AM
What do you mean? I talk about Estonian Independence-War and Finns who fought there. And it is true that Trotski escaped from Narva when Finns conquered that city.
I thought you were talking the other battle of narva.

The battle of Narva 1918. 150 Finns liberated that city and beat thousands russians. And Finns almost get Lev Trotski to capture

I doubt that...

Náttfari
Saturday, February 12th, 2005, 12:43 AM
For me, the battle of Brunanburgh is very interesting.

"Egill Skalla-Grímsson var víđförull og fór međal annars tvisvar sinnum til Englands, ađ ţví er hermt er í sögu hans. Í fyrra skiptiđ gekk hann til liđs viđ Ađalstein Englandskonung og vann fyrir hann frćkinn sigur á Ólafi rauđa, konungi Skota, í orrustunni á Vínheiđi. Á ensku er orrustan kennd viđ Brunanburgh og var hún háđ áriđ 937 e. Kr."

Translation: Egill Skalla-Grímsson travelled widely and went twice to England, as his saga tells us. The first time, he joined the forces of Ađalsteinn, king of England, and together they conquered Ólaf the red, king of Scotland, in the battle of Vínheiđi (vine-heath). In English the battle is called the battle of Brunanburgh and it was fought the year 937 A.D.

Taken from: http://malfridur.ismennt.is/vor2002/vol-18-1-21-26-thorhallur-eyj.htm

In this battle, Egill's brothre, Ţórólfr, died. That was a great loss to Egill, but he wrote a kvćđi (poem) about this (as he often did to comfort himself (and once to save his life)) and regained his joy.

Pan-FinnoUgric
Saturday, February 12th, 2005, 12:47 AM
I thought you were talking the other battle of narva.

I doubt that...

Etkös lukenut viimeistä hesarin sunnuntainumeroa? Kyllä Erkko-mediakin osaa joskus totta puhua ;)

Lissu
Saturday, February 12th, 2005, 01:19 AM
The Battle of Tali-Ihantala in summer 1944. It was the biggest battle ever fought in Nordic countries.I think I may need to tell more about the Battle of Tali-Ihantala.

This battle was not only the most massive battle ever fought in Nordic countries, but also the fate of Finland was decided there. The battle lasted 2 weeks in June-July 1944, and there were 50 000 Finnish soldiers and 150 000 Red Army soldiers. The material superiority of the Red Army was even greater than that.

During these 2 weeks the artillery of the Red Army destroyed the forests of Tali-Ihantala totally, it cannot be described as anything else than a fire hell. Needless to say the artillery fire smashed many good men into little pieces aswell. But the invasion was stopped, thanks to good soldiers, military leaders and Luftwaffe detachment Kuhlmey also did their share with their Stukas.

Because of this victory Finland continued as a living nation, no less than that. This battle is personal for me also because my grandfather wounded there. Luckily his part of the trench didn't got a direct shot... Otherwise I wouldn't be here today.

FadeTheButcher
Saturday, February 12th, 2005, 03:55 AM
Verdun and Gettysburg.

Eiserner Adler
Saturday, February 12th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Just to name five that have yet to be mentioned:
Tannenberg 1410
Sedan 1870
Tannenberg 1914
The Marne 1914
Berlin 1945

Draugr
Monday, February 14th, 2005, 04:01 AM
Let me mention two great battles against the mohamedean swine: the Battle of Grenada, where Queen Izabella personally led the troops in her white armor; and the Battle of Laponto, where the turkish navy was destroyed by Don Juan of Austria. :viking1:

Gustavus Magnus
Tuesday, February 15th, 2005, 11:08 PM
The battle of Lund comes to mind. Sweden, outnumbered by an army twice the sice as the Swedish, won. With a Swedish loss, Scandinavia would be dominated by incompetent Danes... :laugh:

Gustavus Magnus
Tuesday, February 15th, 2005, 11:14 PM
As for the battle of Narva it was a Splendid Swedish victory. Sweden was one of the greatest Powers in Europe during that time. No one would think that looking at modern Swedes today. :laugh:

Sweden was the greatest power in Europe after narwa 1700, even the Pope was, indirectly, a puppet.

Rolf Eder
Tuesday, February 15th, 2005, 11:48 PM
Troy

Erlingr Hárbarđarson
Wednesday, February 16th, 2005, 12:17 AM
The battle of Lund comes to mind. Sweden, outnumbered by an army twice the sice as the Swedish, won. With a Swedish loss, Scandinavia would be dominated by incompetent Danes... :laugh:

...:laugh:

By the way, the most important and greatest battle to be ever fought was as the lands were shattered asunder, grounds and skies darkened to red and the seas rumbled as the fate of Ragnarök was fulfilled. I foresee all those not of the olden snows to greet similar fates as to that of Loke and his foolish followers of Jötunnheim in the neighing years still to be...

SouthernBoy
Wednesday, February 16th, 2005, 12:31 AM
I have a list: Thermopylae, Sekigahara, Hastings, Teutoburg Forest, Cannae, Syracuse, Trafalgar, Waterloo, and of course the Alamo! ;)