PDA

View Full Version : How Nordish is New Zealand ?

Hagalaz
Wednesday, February 9th, 2005, 05:51 AM
Does anyone have any information on the Nordishness of New Zealand?

Axelrod
Wednesday, February 9th, 2005, 06:20 AM
I have never been to the country itself, but met a lot of individuals from there. What I can see is they are of mostly Rheingraber/Anglo-Saxon variety, racially very comparable to American Mid-West. Almost all were big boned and depigmented. Perhaps there should be a med component as well, regarding the craddle of the population were immigrants from the British Isles. But overall a very Nordish country.

Redshank
Wednesday, February 9th, 2005, 08:42 AM
I have never been to the country itself, but met a lot of individuals from there. What I can see is they are of mostly Rheingraber/Anglo-Saxon variety, racially very comparable to American Mid-West. Almost all were big boned and depigmented. Perhaps there should be a med component as well, regarding the craddle of the population were immigrants from the British Isles. But overall a very Nordish country.

Well, I'm a New Zealander, so I can provide some first-hand (albeit anecdotal) information on the subject. The rugged Nordic/UP Reihengraeber type is fairly common, though certainly such people don't make up a majority of the population. Relatively unmixed UPs (especially Bruenn types) are also pretty common. The population in the South Island is still predominantly nordish, and quite distinctly so, but things are different in the north, since that is where both the indigenous Maori population and recent (mostly Polynesian and Asian) immigrants are concentrated.

Hagalaz
Wednesday, February 9th, 2005, 02:40 PM
I've always thought a large amount of New Zealanders were very similar to the Irish racially.

Redshank
Thursday, February 10th, 2005, 01:34 AM
I've always thought a large amount of New Zealanders were very similar to the Irish racially.

Yes, that's probably true, certainly many of my relatives have pale, freckly skin and auburn hair! Roughly 20-25% of 19th century colonists to NZ came from Ireland, and many of the rest came from the more UP-influenced parts of Britain.

However, through immigration and miscegenation, things are changing very fast here...