PDA

View Full Version : Charles Murray (Author of 'The Bell Curve') On TV

FadeTheButcher
Sunday, February 6th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Charles Murray, co-author of The Bell Curve and author of Human Accomplishment, is on C-SPAN 2 right now (12 PM EST) for a three hour interview about the books he has written. Jared Diamond will be on next to talk about his new book Collapse. Murray will also be taking phone calls.

Lenny
Sunday, February 6th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Will these interviews be available on the cspan website later? do you know

because my TV doesn't get CSPAN2 very well for some reason, it is snowy and fades in and out (which is strange considering CSPAN is on cable :icon1:)

edit: I figured out that by sitting in a certain place and hitting the side of the box whenever it's fading out gives me ok reception

FadeTheButcher
Sunday, February 6th, 2005, 05:30 PM
I have no idea. He is taking questions right now. I am thinking about calling in and asking him what he thinks about our immigration policy. It should be noted that this is a golden opportunity to ask him race related questions.

Lenny
Sunday, February 6th, 2005, 05:48 PM
LOL the caller just now introduced herself as "a 63-year-old afro-centrist feminist from baltimore" :biggrin:

FadeTheButcher
Sunday, February 6th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Did you see the look on his face? :p

FadeTheButcher
Sunday, February 6th, 2005, 07:24 PM
I just sent him an email.

"Mr. Murray,

In light of declining human accomplishment and demographic changes, could you share with us some of your thoughts about where you think America will be fifty to a hundred years from now? Furthermore, could you comment upon the role our socioeconomic system has played in the decline of accomplishment in the arts?"

Luh_Windan
Sunday, February 6th, 2005, 09:33 PM
http://www.booktv.org/ram/watch/livev.htm

Says it'll be on again Monday at 12.

Dan Dare
Sunday, February 6th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Darn just missed it.

It's on again Sunday evening at 12 am ET 9 pm PT.

http://www.booktv.org/schedule/

Dan Dare
Tuesday, February 8th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Charles Murray comes across very well. He has a great deal of personal charm which helps him put forward unfashionable views very effectively. No wonder the multiculti establishment dislike him so much.

He landed a number of telling blows in the interview, one of my favourites was:

"This whole notion that everybody ought to go to college is absolutely nuts.."

He also laid down again the challenge whether anyone 200 years from now will value any post-1950 achievements in the artistic field as highly as we now value the work of, say, Mozart or Jane Austen.

"...I think that the number of novels, songs, and paintings done since 1950 that anyone will still care about 200 years from now is somewhere in the vicinity of zero. Not exactly zero, but close. I find a good way to make this point is to ask anyone who disagrees with me to name a work that will survive -- and then ask, "Seriously?" Very few works indeed can defend themselves against the "Seriously?" question."

Any takers?

Edit: Murray's personal nomination is the movie "Groundhog Day", which he described as a perfectly Aristotlean moral fable. :)

FadeTheButcher
Wednesday, February 9th, 2005, 06:33 AM
In other words, he is not your typical foaming at the mouth Neo-Nazi.

Dan Dare
Wednesday, February 9th, 2005, 07:18 AM
I'm rather hoping members will take up Murray's challenge, it could be an intriguing disucssion.