PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Dutchmen the tallest in Europe?

Drewi
Monday, January 3rd, 2005, 01:22 PM
The dutchmen are taller than any others in Europe. Young men in the Netherlands have an average hight of 184 cm.
Are they the real nordish race?

Loki
Monday, January 3rd, 2005, 01:41 PM
The dutchmen are taller than any others in Europe. Young men in the Netherlands have an average hight of 184 cm.
Apart from Scandinavia, The Netherlands is the purest Nordic area on continental Europe - especially Noord-Holland. One can find strongly Nordic families in Netherlands who are more Nordic in phenotype than most Scandinavians even.

Bodewin
Monday, January 3rd, 2005, 07:12 PM
Why are the dutchmen the tallest in Europe?

"More milk products, smaller families and better hygiene--those are the main reasons why the Dutch have increased in length," Bruintjes said. "But I also think there must be something in our genetic makeup."

Here's the complete article:

http://www.extratall.co.uk/news_my_how_the_dutch_have_grown.htm

Would Edwin Van der Saar, the Dutch National Team Goalkeeper, be a good example?

friedrich braun
Monday, January 3rd, 2005, 07:16 PM

In that case I'd be average in height in the Netherlands.

Drewi
Tuesday, January 4th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Scandinavians oder Germans have got milk products and small families too.
I live near the border of the Netherlands, I know this country. The living conditions concerning medical care, food, etc. are not better than in Germany. Especially the milk can not be very good, because the most of the cows are right next to the motorways. (I prefer butter from Kerry instead dutch ones).
I cant believe it, that they are still growing?
I am 6 feet, especially in towns with origin dutch population I feel like a dwarf.

Drewi
Tuesday, January 4th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Thats right, especially Montenegriens are very tall.
Have you got some sources?

Axelrod
Wednesday, January 5th, 2005, 08:53 PM
The cows in Holland are of the most productive breed. certain races of cows they have established give a daily average of 2 liters per day while the regular breeds in 3rd world countries hardly give 0.8 liters. They provide an average of about 12% more calcium per litres. So they both have the highest quality cows and milk by genetically breeding cows to create higher races.

The Montenegrins are probably tall because the area is an isolated point of UP admixture over dinaric proper which is pretty much tall itself. But with Dutch people I have often sighted an interesting race of overgrown Halstatts and longer headed alpines. I think that has something with their calcium consumption.

USS Dixiecrat
Thursday, January 6th, 2005, 03:33 AM
I am 6'5" or 195.58cm tall. I have dutch blood in my veins, though I have been classified as being in the Brunn subracial group; which to my knowledge, tall men are to be expected.

SouthernBoy
Thursday, January 6th, 2005, 03:40 AM
I think the Dutch have a strong underlying Scando-Brunnoid influence also.

Drewi
Thursday, January 6th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Where ist the statement of the slovenian guy?

Triglav
Thursday, January 6th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Where ist the statement of the slovenian guy?

Yo. ;)

Loki temporarily banned me which apparently erased my latest posts (or he deleted them himself).