PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Children Born With Congenital Birth Defects?

Folkvang
Friday, December 17th, 2004, 12:13 AM
What is your opinion on children born with congenital birth defects? In a perfect world where political correctness does not exist, what would you say should be done? A baby born with a cleft lip, or missing fingers, retardation or anything else? Should they be allowed to live--to possibly breed with others and pass on the genes?

I've always been a fan of the Spartan tradition of 'leaving children in the wild', or the Hawaiin practice of taking them at birth to the ocean and drowning them. They are a drain on societal resources, and contribute little, if anything, to the world they inhabit. My take.

Here's a story that prompted this thread. (http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid=28372)

jcs
Friday, December 17th, 2004, 12:24 AM
Northern Europeans used exposure like the Spartans. Most people, parents especially, could not bear to kill a child, so they let nature handle it.

I think that most deformed infants should be euthanized (more humane and efficient). As for retardism, unless the doctor were to make a severe mistake (dropping the kid on their head, for instance, or depriving them of oxygen), the child's retardism would be the result of moron parents--who should not be procreating to begin with in this hypothetical perfect world.

Eik■yrnir
Friday, December 17th, 2004, 12:32 AM
Back in the olde times our ancestors could only afford to have those in society who could contribute and pull their own wieght. If a child was a retard or had a disability to prevent them from contributing for the good of all, that child would be shunned and or killed. No food or time could be spared on them, when the very life of the family and clan hung in the balance. Many died of disease, starvation or the cold of winter in those times, so death was a constant and they wouldn't have hesitated to kill a baby if it meant that the clan could survive that much better. Times are different now, however, and I think that such a thing is not needed. I think it is up to the parents if they want to have a child which is born with these handicaps. And I support the use of eugenics to weed out by genes before the child is born. I believe scientists should strive for this goal so that parents can determine the makeup of their child.

Btw, that story is horrible.

jcs
Friday, December 17th, 2004, 12:43 AM
. Times are different now, however, and I think that such a thing is not needed. I think it is up to the parents if they want to have a child which is born with these handicaps.
Times are different now. With overpopulation, we cannot waste any resources on an individual whose flaws outweigh any potential benefit to their folk. I think any severe handicap should prompt manditory euthanasia (brain damage, missing arms, extreme ugliness such as the girl without a face), with the parents being presented with the option of having a child with more minor defects being weeded out.

I am sure that everyone can understand that it is not out of cruelty that I suggest this, but out of love for beauty, intellect, etc.

Folkvang
Friday, December 17th, 2004, 12:45 AM
Back in the olde times our ancestors could only afford to have those in society who could contribute and pull their own wieght. If a child was a retard or had a disability to prevent them from contributing for the good of all, that child would be shunned and or killed. No food or time could be spared on them, when the very life of the family and clan hung in the balance. Many died of disease, starvation or the cold of winter in those times, so death was a constant and they wouldn't have hesitated to kill a baby if it meant that the clan could survive that much better. Times are different now, however, and I think that such a thing is not needed. I think it is up to the parents if they want to have a child which is born with these handicaps. And I support the use of eugenics to weed out by genes before the child is born. I believe scientists should strive for this goal so that parents can determine the makeup of their child.

Btw, that story is horrible.

Horrible in what sense? Tragic? I feel sorry for the parents, but particularly the girl. What kind of life does she have ahead of her?

I think that we should euthanize children like that today. We (the US) spend $102 billion dollars a year on just special education CLASSES alone. In a country with an internal debt of $500 billion, we could pay it off in less than five years if we eliminated the need for such programs. They contribute nothing back- monitarily, socially, or culturally- and drain resources. They are a burden, and should be disposed of. And I agree with you on eugenics.

JCS- I agree with you on everything, but retardation is a recessive trait that can come from parents who are fine in every sense but that they carry this gene. It does not stem from 'moron' people.

Dr. Brandt
Friday, December 17th, 2004, 12:55 AM
Check my Screenname and signature and then you know how I think on the subject.

jcs
Friday, December 17th, 2004, 01:02 AM
Check my Screenname and signature and then you know how I think on the subject.
I still occasionally chuckle when seeing your signature.

Eik■yrnir
Friday, December 17th, 2004, 01:38 AM
Horrible in what sense? Tragic? I feel sorry for the parents, but particularly the girl. What kind of life does she have ahead of her

It is horrible in the sense that the parents didn't put that child down. Abortion is a good thing for freaks like that. Sad but true.

WotansVolk
Friday, December 17th, 2004, 04:48 AM
It is horrible in the sense that the parents didn't put that child down. Abortion is a good thing for freaks like that. Sad but true.

So true, so true...
One of the only times I approve of Abortion, is with a retard or a mixed mutt.
They use our resources, and our money, with no benefit to the people, they are as useful to us as much as the Jews are. Which is not good at all. Most of the time it is the parents fault for retarded children, smoking, drinking, and doing drugs are the number one causes. After that comes from not taking care of one's self [eating healthy and staying active] during pregnancy, which is common among young adults, even psychological problems like being stressed out and mad all the time is bad for a child. Oh, how I have seen it happen to many times... Sad but true times we live in. I say one should get rid of the child before they consomme resources, for one, If I was a retard, I know I would hate it, people staring at me, not being able to do things on my own, being treated like a child my whole life, who in their right mind would want any of that?...
If anyone would not like to see things like this happen, do not ever visit American hospitals...

cosmocreator
Friday, December 17th, 2004, 05:07 AM
I think my views are pretty well known. :viking4: I'd even put an end to healthy non-white babies.

Mistress Klaus
Friday, December 17th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Only the strongest should be able to survive. The human race has much to learn from the animal kingdom.......This idiotic attempt to prolong the existence of imperfections is embarrassing. :suomut: :rolleyes:

Dr. Brandt
Friday, December 17th, 2004, 09:42 AM
If anyone would not like to see things like this happen, do not ever visit American hospitals...

...or an american college, or the white hose for that matter! :icon_bigg

Eik■yrnir
Friday, December 17th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Only the strongest should be able to survive. The human race has much to learn from the animal kingdom.......This idiotic attempt to prolong the existence of imperfections is embarrassing. :suomut: :rolleyes:

Not only that, but also important reasources go into trying to make these freak's lives livable (if one would call it a life, I'd consider it an existance). When those reasourses could go toward advancing our people medically a scientificall, and make inherited genetic defects a thing of the past. I find it is the christian conservative types that call for the 'right to life', no matter how miserable the existance is.