PDA

View Full Version : Høybråten sparks new debate

Loki
Monday, November 29th, 2004, 09:43 PM
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article920413.ece

Høybråten sparks new debate

Controversial Minister of Social and Labor Affairs Dagfinn Høybråten has fanned flames after branding criticism of the wording of a new day care law "a formidable attack on our Christian cultural heritage".

http://cache.aftenposten.no/multimedia/archive/00240/_1087412_jpg_240841h.jpg
Dagfinn Høybråten's views on public smoking, stem cell research and homosexual rights have made him a regular storm center in Norwegian politics

Helga Hjetland of the Union of Education Norway on Thursday criticized the wording of the law, which states that "day care centers (barnehagen) will help give the child an upbringing in keeping with Christian values".

Høybråten reacted with strong language in a speech to fellow Christian Democrats on Thursday. Minister of Children and Family Affairs Laila Dåvøy, another Christian Democrat, is behind the proposed legislation.

"Powerful forces are at work to declare Norwegian society value-neutral. They hide behind fine words about anti-discrimination and tolerance ... What they do in reality is to attack the heritage of a millennium, the roots of our modern society," Høybråten said.

Reactions were swift and vociferous from all sides.

Family policy spokesman for the Labor Party, Trond Giske, accused Høybråten of playing on fear and aligning himself with Progress Party leader Carl I. Hagen, an outspoken critic of Muslim influence in Norway.

"With his statements Høybråten makes himself the judge of who has the right values and who doesn't," Giske said. "Humanistic values are not worthless, as Høybråten expresses it."

Lars Gule, secretary general of the Humanistic Ethical Association, called the wording "strange and unacceptable" and demanded it be revoked.

"I cannot accept that these universal values are presented as Christian. They are just as much mine, Muslim, Hindu, Jewish ... the ministry is trampling our morals and ethics," Gule said.

Progress Party leader Carl I. Hagen said he interpreted Hjetland's remarks as adjusting Norway to the influx of immigrants, and supported Høybråten.

"I think it is important that we maintain the mission statement the way it is today. It works well and confirms our basic values," Hagen said.

Hjetland felt Høybråten was fomenting unnecessary conflict, and said they wanted the wording changed, not the end of Christian traditions.

"Accepting that Norwegian society is more diverse than it used to be, with many different religions and life views, is not at all the same as attacking the Christian heritage," Hjetland said.

Eikþyrnir
Monday, November 29th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Less than half of Norwegians consider themselves to be christian. I think that says a lot for the "Christian cultural heritage." :rofl:

friedrich braun
Monday, November 29th, 2004, 09:56 PM
God, I despise these liberals.

If they're in a hurry to commit racial, cultural suicide, fine. But why must they drag everyone else along with them?

I'd deport them along with the Muslims.

friedrich braun
Monday, November 29th, 2004, 09:59 PM
Less than half of Norwegians consider themselves to be christian. I think that says a lot for the "Christian cultural heritage." :rofl:

That's pretty sad, in a way. It's rather tough to face down a militant and agressive faith with limp, humanistic bromides as your only weapon.

Loki
Monday, November 29th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Norwegians don't need Christianity to keep them civilized. Norwegians have always been civilized, even before the coming of Christianity. What keeps them civilized, is their pure blood and genes.

Eikþyrnir
Monday, November 29th, 2004, 10:43 PM
That's pretty sad, in a way. It's rather tough to face down a militant and agressive faith with limp, humanistic bromides as your only weapon.

One doesn't need christianity, especially the bible-thumping conservative christians, whom overwhelmingly support Israel and Jews. As Loki says, there has been civilization in Norway before the arival of christianity and Olaf the Butcher. Besides, christian values are not something we want our peoples to have in the first place.

DreamWalker
Tuesday, November 30th, 2004, 07:55 AM

Very true. The Great One said "Terror can only be broken by a greater terror", which seems right to me. If the islamics are beheading us/cutting our throats, perhaps burning them at the stake or impaling them would be a suitable "greater terror"

In 1999, when the mass-murderer clinton was bombing European Xtian civilians throughout Serbia at the behest of islamics and the jewess madeline albright, I E-mailed a couple of Xtian orgs to ask why they were not protesting this. Not only did one not reply, the other one sent me a notice that future E-mails from me would be blocked! Definitely a different flavor of Xtian than the ones who set out on the Crusades, regardless of ones opinion of the relative merits of the Crusades or Xtianity.