PDA

View Full Version : Dohertin in Germany?

Eiserner Adler
Saturday, November 20th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Has anyone ever heard of a city in Germany or former Germany called Dohertin, or something similar? In a family geneology, an ancestor is listed as being from Dohertin, Germany. This is from the 1871-1918 German Empire era. She married a man from Schwerin, Mecklenburg, which may or may not be of geographical significance, because I don't know if they were married in the fatherland or in the States. I cannot find a Dohertin on any map or on the internet. Two possible reasons are that either it is a spelling error (there are a few others in the book, usually with names) or that it is in present day Poland and the name of the city has been changed. The surname is Roloff, if that helps with pinpointing it to a region. (Interesting how both Germans and Poles use the off ending, unless I am mistaken, the Polish off is equivilant to the Russian ov .)

SouthernBoy
Saturday, November 20th, 2004, 06:08 PM
I am not sure, but it sounds high-German. I would look more specifically on maps of Imperial northern Germany.

Eiserner Adler
Saturday, November 20th, 2004, 06:24 PM
High German is spoken in higher areas, low German is spoken in lowlands, so high German would be southern Germany. This is true for the North Sea lowlands at least, but pretty sure it is considered low German in Baltic areas as well.

Nordgau
Sunday, November 21st, 2004, 01:08 AM
The surname is Roloff, if that helps with pinpointing it to a region. (Interesting how both Germans and Poles use the off ending, unless I am mistaken, the Polish off is equivilant to the Russian ov .)

Ro[h]loff is a variant of Rodelof, and that are Low German variants of the name Rodolf = Rudolf.

The place you are looking for is probably this here, located in Mecklenburg:

http://www.emecklenburg.de/Dobbertin/dorf/pictures/dobber6.jpg

Probably it was written in your document with one b, which you misread as a h, or someone who wrote it into the document you read already took the b as a h.

Eiserner Adler
Sunday, November 21st, 2004, 07:39 AM
Thanks, if true this would solve a few mysteries, it is interesting about the name evolution. I had always assumed that this city was in Mecklenburg but wasn't sure. That name Dobbertin does sound familair from somewhere. I found a link once on ancestry.com that matched her first and last name and about when she should have been born (the book doesn't say birth date or parents since she is a fairly distant relative of the main families of the book). That link on ancestry was based on people in Mecklenburg and went back to the late 1500's, no way of really telling whether the person that the tree starts it is really the same though, unless I found her birthdate and a few other things from some relatives who might know.