PDA

View Full Version : A 3rd Hermann article wow!

Doktor Goebbels
Friday, November 12th, 2004, 02:02 AM
Hermann back on watch after cleanup

NEW ULM:The historic statue was replaced Tuesday after restoration work that revealed a lot of damage.

BY STEVE KARNOWSKI

ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW ULM, Minn. - The ravages of time and man could not defeat Hermann the German.

The statue of a Germanic warrior who led his people to a decisive victory over the Romans in 9 A.D. is once again standing defiant with his sword held high over this southern Minnesota city founded by German immigrants 150 years ago.

Crews slowly hoisted the two-ton, 32-foot copper figure back onto its 70-foot base Tuesday, completing a restoration that took more than a year and cost nearly $1.2 million.

A crowd of about 200 people applauded as the tall crane lowered Hermann onto his pedestal and crews started welding him in place.

"He made it!" said Mayor Joel Albrecht.

"Hermann is obviously such an important symbol of our city," said Albrecht, who wore a black derby as he passed out Hermann postcards to the crowd. "People from all over the state and nation equate Hermann to New Ulm and the two are virtually synonymous."

The restoration effort revealed just how fragile the statue had become, and Albrecht said he was relieved it didn't collapse before it was fixed. Albrecht credited restorers with a masterful job.

"What a great day it is for us, that on the 15th anniversary of the Berlin Wall coming down, Hermann the freedom fighter, the person that united the Germanic tribes and defeated the Roman legions, is now back in his place," Albrecht said.

Among those watching were about nine women wearing red hats and badges and name tags that proclaimed them "Hermann's frauleins." They watched with laughter and delight as Hermann ascended.

Also watching from the park surrounding Hermann's pedestal was lifelong resident Germain Hacker, who said she can trace her German heritage back more than a dozen generations.

"I can remember coming up here as a little girl for family picnics," she said. "It's always been a part of me."

Time had not been kind to what's officially called The Hermann Monument.

But restorers repaired and patched the bullet holes, beefed up its inner skeleton, replaced several worn-out and rusted-out parts such as the right foot, and reattached a wing that blew off Hermann's helmet in a storm six years ago. They also rebuilt the Roman helmet and shield on which Hermann rests his left foot in triumph, as well as the stone base.

The statue depicts Hermann the Cheruscan, also known as Arminius, who led Teutonic tribes in the battle of the Teutoburg Forest. They wiped out three Roman legions and stopped the eastward expansion of the Roman empire at the Rhine River in a key turning point of European history.

Hermann eventually became a symbol of unity and independence, both in Germany and among the German immigrants who settled in New Ulm.

The statue is modeled after a larger monument in Detmold, Germany, where the battle is popularly believed to have taken place, though there's some dispute among historians about where it happened. Detmold dedicated its monument in 1875; New Ulm followed suit in 1897.

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/news/local/10143403.htm

Doktor Goebbels
Friday, November 12th, 2004, 02:04 AM
http://www.city-data.com/city/Duluth-Minnesota.html

Ancestries: German (23.5%), Norwegian (16.8%), Swedish (15.2%), Irish (10.6%), Polish (7.1%), English (7.0%).

* White Non-Hispanic (92.1%)
* American Indian (3.4%)
* Two or more races (1.8%)
* Black (1.6%)
* Hispanic (1.1%)

Not too too bad, but then again the Jews are White(they do it to hide themselves) the word I despise because of them. Pretty close to 100 percent European-American, but the ZOG likes to ruin the nation.

Loki
Friday, November 12th, 2004, 07:52 AM
http://www.city-data.com/city/Duluth-Minnesota.html

Ancestries: German (23.5%), Norwegian (16.8%), Swedish (15.2%), Irish (10.6%), Polish (7.1%), English (7.0%).

Wow... very Nordic. :) I wouldn't mind living there.

Dr. Brandt
Friday, November 12th, 2004, 02:52 PM
But restorers repaired and patched the bullet holes,

Aha!

Wow... very Nordic. I wouldn't mind living there.

With 7.1% Polaks I sure would mind living there!