PDA

View Full Version : Earth losing ability to sustain life

infoterror
Friday, October 22nd, 2004, 10:05 PM
GENEVA, Switzerland (AP) -- Humanity's reliance on fossil fuels, the spread of cities, the destruction of natural habitats for farmland and over-exploitation of the oceans are destroying Earth's ability to sustain life, the environmental group WWF warned in a new report Thursday.

Humans currently consume 20 percent more natural resources than the Earth can produce, the report said.

"We are spending nature's capital faster than it can regenerate," said WWF chief Claude Martin, releasing the 40-page study. "We are running up an ecological debt which we won't be able to pay off unless governments restore the balance between our consumption of natural resources and the Earth's ability to renew them."

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/10/22/plundered.planet.ap/index.html

(The problem is too many people. This article goes on to try to tell us that if the nations with the highest per capita consumption became more frugal, the problem would go away. In truth, these wealthy nations represent such a tiny fraction of the population the impact would be negligible. What's more important is limited overall population, which is growing exclusively in the third world and China.)

Mistress Klaus
Saturday, October 23rd, 2004, 03:48 AM
I have felt like this for some years now :suomut: (but nobody really cares).. Australia is one of the worst consumers and polluters in the world at the moment, with the use of coal & land-clearing. (Perhaps the Mad Max movies will come to fruition....a complete desolate 'desert' with limited fuel & outlaws out to get every drop...)... :speechles

Humanity is bleeding the earth dry with its selfish attitude & greed. Finland has recently tried to make a step to reduce greenhouse emissions through a newly built nuclear power plant.....but they still have to dispose/bury the waste nuclear rods deep into the ground..!!!...Arghhh!...we always seem to create harmful wastes...even when we are trying to be thoughtful for the future. :icon_sad:

cosmocreator
Saturday, October 23rd, 2004, 07:07 AM
I don't think earth will lose it's ability to sustain life. Humans are wreaking their own havoc. Nature will find it's own way of dealing with it. I think if 6 billion humans were to be destroyed, the earth would be a better place.

Mistress Klaus
Saturday, October 23rd, 2004, 08:00 AM
I don't think earth will lose it's ability to sustain life. Humans are wreaking their own havoc. Nature will find it's own way of dealing with it. I think if 6 billion humans were to be destroyed, the earth would be a better place.

If humans were instantanously 'zapped' from the planet (what a glorious thought!!! :rotfl: ) and the 'injured' mother earth was left....I think it would make an interesting nature documentary. Of course we wouldn't exist to see it...I sort of hope humans are around for the final curtain close...(screaming & wimpering for repentance to their false gods... :rotfl:)........You stupid bloody fools......Idiots.

Von Braun
Saturday, October 23rd, 2004, 08:06 AM
These statements contradict the spirit of preservationism.

Mistress Klaus
Saturday, October 23rd, 2004, 08:40 AM
These statements contradict the spirit of preservationism.

I've reached the point where I don't care if any human lives or die. Sorry....just the way I feel.

jcs
Saturday, October 23rd, 2004, 02:31 PM
I've reached the point where I don't care if any human lives or die. Sorry....just the way I feel.
Linkola would agree with you:
http://www.angelfire.com/zine/thefallofbecause/articles/humanflood.html
My opinion is that we don't need to kill every human; we just need to do away with about 92% of humanity.

Mistress Klaus
Friday, October 29th, 2004, 05:01 AM
Linkola would agree with you:
http://www.angelfire.com/zine/thefallofbecause/articles/humanflood.html
My opinion is that we don't need to kill every human; we just need to do away with about 92% of humanity.

:biggrin:Yes, ok...I will accept 8% of the human population to remain existing. That sounds reasonable.

Northern Paladin
Friday, October 29th, 2004, 05:09 AM
I don't take anything WWF says seriously. One has to understand that by using scare tatics like this they are pushing their agenda to save the animals. Which indeed are losing out to humans.