PDA

View Full Version : Back from vacation

Shaun
Wednesday, October 6th, 2004, 03:16 AM
Hallo venner!

I am back from my vacation in Whistler, a European-style alpine village. It was warmer than expected, but beautiful nonetheless. My friends and I ended up staying in the $1.2 million dollar penthouse suite at the Pan Pacific, which provided a beautiful view of the village and mountains.

The village was, however, more like a mall than what I expected. A lot of people were always walking in village, but I was dissapointed by how commercial it felt. I would have liked a more local/home feeling.

Our group went on gondola's to the near top of Whistler mountain, and wow, the village seemed so small. The air was thinner, although much easier to breathe than the polluted air I am used to. We went to climb to the top of Whistler mountain, but my friends gave up half-way through. I, being the ambitious and stubborn one, decided once I saw a good path of easy to climb rocks, ran up the rest of the way.... Until I jumped over a crevice and my foot went through ice. There I took a couple pictures, and began my way down the mountain, when I realized I got sunburnt my face and was really not feeling well (I did what a hiker shouldn't do, just running out of nowhere up a mountain and stopping with no wind-down period. I'm sure just eating at McDonald's before didn't help.)

Anyways, the village was beautiful, although a bit too commercial. It'll be interesting to see how it changes after the 2010 Olympics.

Have you been to any villages? Even Whistler perhaps?

Freja
Wednesday, October 6th, 2004, 04:29 AM
I love a good trip to the mountains. Ive been to Lillehammer, and can recommend that to those of you who are planning to go skiing in Norway.
However I prefer a (well equipped) cabin in a more quiet setting. Im quite anti-social, and if I go away to rest, I prefer to do so without too many people around me.
Just me and my loved ones taking long hikes in the mountains.

cosmocreator
Wednesday, October 6th, 2004, 06:48 AM
The furthest I've been up that way is Squamish. Not surprised it's commercial cashing in on the tourists. Property is way over priced here. It's because of all the immigrants coming here creating such a demand.

Nordgau
Wednesday, October 6th, 2004, 06:27 PM
The furthest I've been up that way is Squamish.

It's an interesting question to let go through one's mind the geographically most extreme places where one was.

The most northern place where I was is also the most northern place of the German state: the northern tip of the island of Sylt, at the border to Denmark.

The most eastern place where I was is Prague.

The most western place where I was is New York City, exactly: the airport of Newark in New Jersey.

The most southern place where I was is the island Gran Canaria, belonging to Spain, but geographically located at the coast of Morocco.

If I don't count New York and Gran Canaria - in fact the only two times that I ever was outside of Europe -, then the most western place where I was is England's most extreme western place: Lands End in Cornwall. The most southern place then where I was is the Lake of Garda at the southern margin of the Italian Alpes.

I don't really come around much... :tongue:

cosmocreator
Thursday, October 7th, 2004, 06:47 AM
The extent of my travel is a whole other question. The furthest north I've been was in Northern Alberta, probably around 58 degrees North driving on a logging (and/or mining) road that leads to Lake Athabasca. That's about equivalent to Stockholm Sweden.

Farthest east and west is a little more difficult to determine depending where the dividing line is. Farthest west I guess I'd have to go with Hawaii, farthest east: South Korea, farthest south: Philiphines.

Zyklop
Thursday, October 7th, 2004, 06:44 PM
@Nordgau
CSU, Rave, Koffeein, Coca Cola, Gran Canaria und Jew York....
Das kommt alles in mein kleines Notizbuch :D

Evolved
Thursday, October 7th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Furthest North I have been is somewhere in Northern Quebec (I was young, so I don't remember)
Furthest South I have been is Orlando, Florida.
Furthest East I have been is here in Hungary. :)
Furthest West I have been is Colorado Springs, Colorado.