PDA

View Full Version : Lovelock, Nevada: The Cave of the Red Haired Giants

cosmocreator
Saturday, October 2nd, 2004, 08:41 PM
Maybe someone in Nevada could verify this.

http://www.treasurecenter.com/treasure_diary.htm

Approximately twenty miles south of the town of Lovelock, Nevada, near the top of a high hill, there’s a cave known now as Lovelock cave. But in the 1800s, the cave was known as Horseshoe Cave, probably because of the shape of the interior. The cave is about forty feet deep and one hundred and sixty feet wide, with the sides curving around like a horseshoe. The cave was probably formed by the collapse of a limestone dome and wave action during the time it was under Lake Lahontan , a prehistoric lake which covered most of western Nevada. Emigrants traveling the trail to California, known as the Humboldt Trail, referred to the cave on a hill overlooking the Humboldt Sink in their memoirs.

The cave was pointed out to early Nevadans by the Piutes, who told stories about their battles with the white giants with the red hair who were living in the area when the Piutes first arrived. They claimed to have ambushed and fought the white giants until they had killed all but a few who had retreated to the cave. According to Piute legend, after they had cornered all the remaining giants in the cave, they piled sagebrush in the cave entrance and set it on fire. The Piutes said they killed any who tried to escape. They kept the fire up until all the giants had been smothered.

In 1911, a company was formed to mine the bat guano in the cave for fertilizer. The guano was in layers four to six feet deep. After about four feet of the manure was removed, artifacts started showing up. Before archaeologists were brought in, many of the findings were discarded or damaged. But what was then found was staggering. The history in the cave goes back over four thousand years and yes, they found red headed giants.

In fact, they found that what the Piutes had told them was true. There was a layer of burned material and there were broken arrows that had been shot into the cave. The dryness of the climate plus other factors had indeed turned many of the giants to mummies. Among the many beautiful artifacts was a donut shaped stone that has 365 notches on the outside rim and 52 notches on the inside rim. Many of these artifacts now reside in the museum at Winnemucca, Nevada.

While searching for a lost gold mine in Nevada, for a documentary film that I was making, I took the opportunity to explore the Lovelock Cave (photo below) and visit the quaint, little, but very interesting museum at Lovelock, Nevada. The curator told me about a skull from one of the “giants” that was in the Winnemucca museum.

Prior to a subsequent trip to the area, I borrowed a full-sized plaster dental model of the lower teeth of a normal modern adult from a friend, who was also my dentist. I took the plaster model with me when I next visited the area, in the hopes that I would be able to compare it with the jaw from one of the “giants.”

As I had hoped, the curator at the Winnemucca museum graciously allowed me to compare the plaster model with the jaw from the skull of one of the “giants” in the museum’s collection. She placed the jaw down on her desk. I was allowed to place my plaster adult jaw next to jaw from the skull for purposes of comparison (photo below). The plaster model was much smaller than the jaw from the skull. In fact, the teeth of the jaw from the skull were almost twice the size of those of my plaster model. There were other factors, too, that distinguished it from today’s humans.

On your treasure hunting expeditions, always keep in mind that some of the most fascinating artifacts are to be found in smaller museums because they are inclined to display everything in their collections and not hide artifacts away in a dusty closet.

Stan Nielsen (left) at Lovelock Cave, home of the red haired giants. Jaw from red haired giant (right) shown with plaster dental model from a normal modern adult for size comparison.

Oskorei
Saturday, October 2nd, 2004, 09:01 PM
I too have encountered these red-haired giants several times (on the Internet), however they may be a fraud:

http://www.s8int.com/kossuth.html
(its a Creatonist site, though)

Dr. Solar Wolff
Sunday, October 3rd, 2004, 06:31 AM
Maybe someone in Nevada could verify this.

http://www.treasurecenter.com/treasure_diary.htm

Approximately twenty miles south of the town of Lovelock, Nevada, near the top of a high hill, there’s a cave known now as Lovelock cave. But in the 1800s, the cave was known as Horseshoe Cave, probably because of the shape of the interior. The cave is about forty feet deep and one hundred and sixty feet wide, with the sides curving around like a horseshoe. The cave was probably formed by the collapse of a limestone dome and wave action during the time it was under Lake Lahontan , a prehistoric lake which covered most of western Nevada. Emigrants traveling the trail to California, known as the Humboldt Trail, referred to the cave on a hill overlooking the Humboldt Sink in their memoirs.

The cave was pointed out to early Nevadans by the Piutes, who told stories about their battles with the white giants with the red hair who were living in the area when the Piutes first arrived. They claimed to have ambushed and fought the white giants until they had killed all but a few who had retreated to the cave. According to Piute legend, after they had cornered all the remaining giants in the cave, they piled sagebrush in the cave entrance and set it on fire. The Piutes said they killed any who tried to escape. They kept the fire up until all the giants had been smothered.

In 1911, a company was formed to mine the bat guano in the cave for fertilizer. The guano was in layers four to six feet deep. After about four feet of the manure was removed, artifacts started showing up. Before archaeologists were brought in, many of the findings were discarded or damaged. But what was then found was staggering. The history in the cave goes back over four thousand years and yes, they found red headed giants.

In fact, they found that what the Piutes had told them was true. There was a layer of burned material and there were broken arrows that had been shot into the cave. The dryness of the climate plus other factors had indeed turned many of the giants to mummies. Among the many beautiful artifacts was a donut shaped stone that has 365 notches on the outside rim and 52 notches on the inside rim. Many of these artifacts now reside in the museum at Winnemucca, Nevada.

While searching for a lost gold mine in Nevada, for a documentary film that I was making, I took the opportunity to explore the Lovelock Cave (photo below) and visit the quaint, little, but very interesting museum at Lovelock, Nevada. The curator told me about a skull from one of the “giants” that was in the Winnemucca museum.

Prior to a subsequent trip to the area, I borrowed a full-sized plaster dental model of the lower teeth of a normal modern adult from a friend, who was also my dentist. I took the plaster model with me when I next visited the area, in the hopes that I would be able to compare it with the jaw from one of the “giants.”

As I had hoped, the curator at the Winnemucca museum graciously allowed me to compare the plaster model with the jaw from the skull of one of the “giants” in the museum’s collection. She placed the jaw down on her desk. I was allowed to place my plaster adult jaw next to jaw from the skull for purposes of comparison (photo below). The plaster model was much smaller than the jaw from the skull. In fact, the teeth of the jaw from the skull were almost twice the size of those of my plaster model. There were other factors, too, that distinguished it from today’s humans.

On your treasure hunting expeditions, always keep in mind that some of the most fascinating artifacts are to be found in smaller museums because they are inclined to display everything in their collections and not hide artifacts away in a dusty closet.

Stan Nielsen (left) at Lovelock Cave, home of the red haired giants. Jaw from red haired giant (right) shown with plaster dental model from a normal modern adult for size comparison.

The cast is only a cast of the teeth while the jaw is just that, a whole jaw. Comparing the teeth to the teeth, yes the jaw's teeth are larger but not wildly so.

The red giants could be the ancestors of Kennewick man. The eskimo of Greenland have a similar legend of killing non-eskimo "giants" who were there before the eskimo arrived. I never found New World tales, legends, or folk-wisdom to be particularly accurate or insightful.

SouthernBoy
Sunday, October 3rd, 2004, 07:50 PM
I wish more of the evidence of pre-Amerinidian humans could be substantiated.

celticviking
Saturday, February 5th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Lovelock, Nevada, is about eighty miles northeast of Reno. in 1911, in a cave near Lovelock, Nevada guano miners found
mummies, bones, and artifacts belonging to a very tall people - with red hair.

ThelPaiutes had legends about the "Si-Te-Cah." According to them the redheads were a warlike people, and a number of the
Indian tribes joined together in a long war against them. Eventually, the Paiutes and their allies forced the Si-Te-Cah back to their
home acres, near Mount Shasta in California.

Archeologists seemed to take a negative approach to this 'history changing' discovery. . According to reports, two archeologists
were sent to the scene to investigate this remarkable discovery. . One was from the University of California, and the other from
New York. Rather than unearthing facts, they seemed more interested in burying them - literally; we are told the New Yorker
ordered a mummy reburied on at least once occasion. Nor was anything published about the anomalies until 1929, seventeen
years after their visit.

Paiutes says that the Si-Te-Cah literally lived on a lake in the basin overlooked by the cave. The lived on the lake to avoice
harrassments from the Indians, living on the rafts made of a fibrous water plant called tule. The name Si-Te-Cah means "tule
eaters."

The Paiutes and the long-legged redheads did not get along well. The Indians accused the Si-Te-Cah of being cannibals, and
waged war against them. The Si-Te-Cah fought back. After a long struggle, a coalition of tribes trapped the remaining Si-Te-Cah
in what is now called Lovelock Cave. When they refused to come out, the Indians piled brush before the cave mouth and set it
aflame. The Si-Te-Cah were annihilated.

The local Indians tell stories of how the tribe exterminated those that had reddish hair.
All of this could be dismissed as another tall tale, but the case for the Si-Te-Cah does not rest on one man's research, or on
remains found in one guano-filled cave. In 1931, mummies wee discovered in the Humboldt Lake bed. Eight years later, a mystery
skeleton was unearthed on a ranch in the region. In each case, the skeletons or mummies were exceptionally tall and appeared to
be connected with the strange lost race of redheads.

According to the Indians, the Si-Te-Cah built a pyramidal stone structure in New York Canyon, some miles away in Churchill
County. Unfortunately, the area is riven with earthquakes and the rocky ruins have largely tumbled over the years.

Not much has survived from the Si-Te-Cah. When the archeological establishment refused to take their existence seriously, a
number of small, private museums arose to fill the gap. A fire in one of these destroyed an irreplaceable collection of bones,
mummified remains, feathered artifacts, and shells carved with mysterious symbols. Today there is a museum in Lovelock with a
display describing the cave finds, but it ignores allegations that the Si-Te-Cah were anything other than Indians. The Nevada
State Historical Society has some artifacts from the cave, but again, there is not even a hint of controversy

Ancient European Skeleton Recovered In West Virginia Cave

Cave Skeleton is European, 1,300 Years Old, Man Says

Sept. 29, 2002

MORGANTOWN - The man who first advanced the theory that markings carved on in a Wyoming County cave are actually
characters from an ancient Irish alphabet has found human remains at the site, which tests indicate are European in origin and
date back to A.D. 710, he maintains.

Robert Pyle of Morgantown says that a DNA analysis of material from the skeleton's teeth roots was conducted by Brigham Young
University. That analysis, he says, shows that the skeleton's DNA, when compared to samples from Native American groups and
an array of European sources, most closely matches samples from the British Isles.

Pyle says the DNA test, plus a radiocarbon test that dates the skeleton to 710, suggest the presence of a European visitor to the
North American continent nearly 800 years before the arrival of Columbus, and nearly 300 years before Viking Leif Erickson.

Read more here
http://www.burlingtonnews.net/redhairedmummiesunitedstates.html

Oski
Saturday, February 5th, 2011, 06:37 AM
I wish more of the evidence of pre-Amerinidian humans could be substantiated.

Well the science of american anthropology won't allow such things in the future because they are switching from science to a PC humanist approach.

flemish
Sunday, February 6th, 2011, 06:26 AM
I remember a story on the news back in the early 1980's about Celtic writing found in a cave in the Southwest; Arizona I believe. If I remember correctly, they were close to two thousand years old. Also, when I lived in West Virginia, there was some local university professor on the public access channel showing what he thought were Celtic writings and symbols on rocks and the sides of mountains. We can assume that many people got to North and South America before Leif Erickson and Columbus did. Thinking that the Americas remained unvisited by any other people after the ancestors of Native Americans got here is foolish.

arcticdoctor
Sunday, February 6th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Check out Ancient American magazine. It is a Diffusionist ( as opposed to Isolationist ) scholarly magazine with a wealth of well documented articles on the prehistoric white inhabitants of North America.

ancientamerican.com

wittwer
Sunday, February 6th, 2011, 02:37 PM
There are two competing theories out there regarding the humannoid populating of N.A.. The first being the migration of a Mongoloid population from the West across the Bering Strait ice bridges. The second being, an unknown racial - genetic humanoid migrating from the East when N.A. lay much closer to Africa and Europe before "Plate Tectonics" moved N.A. to its present position. These "Giants" may very well be the Humanoids from this Eastern Migration. Simply because Native American Myths give these Giants "Red Hair" it doesn't follow that they were "White" and European...

If they exist at all, they are in all probability, a branch of the Homosapien genus that died out or was exterminated by competing species for scarce resources as explained by that Paiute Myth. Much like the Neanderthals disappeared from Europe and elsewhere along with other newly discovered humanoid species.

Or it could be a complete fabrication and fraud. "The more we "know" the less we seem to know and more the questions arise"... ;)

Northern Paladin
Sunday, February 6th, 2011, 08:18 PM
http://www.stevequayle.com/GG.Images/giant.femur.gif
http://www.echoesofenoch.com/giant%20mummy8.jpg

As interesting as these things may be, they always end up being fake.

http://0.tqn.com/d/urbanlegends/1/0/f/1/Aad4_sm.jpg