PDA

View Full Version : Are You Eating Healthy?

Mistress Klaus
Thursday, September 30th, 2004, 04:08 PM
:icon_sad: It's the 21st century yet I think the human race has never been so careless & lazy with their food intake. The age of microwave cooking has seemingly taken over from the traditional methods of cooking....gone are the days of preparing a meal with the old pots & pans and knives.. :mad: Let alone home-grown vegetables!.. :icon_sad:

I recently heard that some newly built apartments are actually excluding a 'proper' kitchen enclosure, with no oven and ample preparation space/benches!!! :mad: :icon_surp In this age of microwaves, dishwashers & fast food....it is fast becoming apparent that a hell of ALOT of people don't bother to cook/prepare a meal properly. Looking at all the fat children & the high rates of diabetes :mad: ...this only confirms the evidence of the 'modern' lazy & pampered lifestyle.

NSFreja
Thursday, September 30th, 2004, 07:19 PM
:icon_sad: It's the 21st century yet I think the human race has never been so careless & lazy with their food intake. The age of microwave cooking has seemingly taken over from the traditional methods of cooking....gone are the days of preparing a meal with the old pots & pans and knives.. :mad: Let alone home-grown vegetables!.. :icon_sad:

I recently heard that some newly built apartments are actually excluding a 'proper' kitchen enclosure, with no oven and ample preparation space/benches!!! :mad: :icon_surp In this age of microwaves, dishwashers & fast food....it is fast becoming apparent that a hell of ALOT of people don't bother to cook/prepare a meal properly. Looking at all the fat children & the high rates of diabetes :mad: ...this only confirms the evidence of the 'modern' lazy & pampered lifestyle.I think i eat healthy food...almost never buy so called fast-food anyway. For example, i have never ever eaten a burger from McDonalds :icon_bigg

Got a visitor here from USA few years ago, he was surprised when he saw me making dinner to the whole family everyday all by my self...

/M

Nordhammer
Thursday, September 30th, 2004, 08:11 PM

I recently heard that some newly built apartments are actually excluding a 'proper' kitchen enclosure, with no oven and ample preparation space/benches!!! :mad: :icon_surp In this age of microwaves, dishwashers & fast food....it is fast becoming apparent that a hell of ALOT of people don't bother to cook/prepare a meal properly. Looking at all the fat children & the high rates of diabetes :mad: ...this only confirms the evidence of the 'modern' lazy & pampered lifestyle.

Capitalism and greed are to blame for a lot of it. They cut as many corners as they can, caring not for the welfare of the people, only that something tastes good and has a high profit margin. In return people care about the most quantity for the cheapest price.

Northern Paladin
Thursday, September 30th, 2004, 08:37 PM
My diet is a balanced one though one not devoid of "junk" food. When it comes to junk food it's mostly Ice Cream and Chips.

My mom doesn't cook regulary but when we go out to eat it's rarely at a fast food place.

Nordhammer
Thursday, September 30th, 2004, 09:14 PM
Fast food is becoming less and less healthy. The quality of the products they use is ever decreasing as companies find new ways to cut corners for more profit. I've had food poisoning twice over the past month, once from Pizza Hut. I was sick all night, vomited about 15 times. That's the kind of thing you just have to go outside and let'er rip. I lost my voice for a few days from the acid damage. I only eat at choice restaurants now.

Hersir_Hasteinn
Thursday, September 30th, 2004, 11:53 PM
The Quarterdeck food here at my college is a crime against humanity. At least, most of it is.

I can't even begin to describe it. Even though some of the what they serve could be good... It's the fact they need to mass produce it so it doesn't always end up the greatest and more often than not mediocre. The best thing I've tasted so far has been the mashed potatoes.

They serve a plethora of food. They always rotate the main course from different kinds of Lasagne to chinese-esque dishes. They always have the pasta and sandwich bars open. Beside that during lunch and dinner is where they serve pizza (comes free with a pool of grease...) and on the other side is the Salad bar... green bananas included. Next to that is a place that they serve burgers at the same times they serve pizza. Beside that there is the place where you can get bowls of cereal 24/7 (probably the healthiest thing...).
(And the freshmen dormrooms don't have anything like a kitchen or kitchen area! Evil bastards!)

Whenever I'm lucky enough to be able to come home, I always cram myself full of good homecooked food.

NSFreja
Friday, October 1st, 2004, 12:15 AM
Homecooked is always the best...at least i think soo...

/M

Hersir_Hasteinn
Friday, October 1st, 2004, 12:42 AM
Homecooked is always the best...at least i think soo...

/M

I agree!

SaveEurope
Friday, October 1st, 2004, 01:28 AM
I try to eat as healthy as possible. This includes lots of fruits. The problem with eating healthy all the time is that it is expensive and not very filling, at least with fruits and vegetables.

cosmocreator
Friday, October 1st, 2004, 04:29 AM
I try to eat as healthy as possible. This includes lots of fruits. The problem with eating healthy all the time is that it is expensive and not very filling, at least with fruits and vegetables.

I tried the diet (out of curiousity) of raw, uncooked fruits, vegetables and nuts (no meat). We are the only animal that cooks our food and in doing so, destroy much of the nutrients. I got to have meat.

Evolved
Friday, October 1st, 2004, 05:21 AM
Hungarian food in general isn't healthy, but it is yummy. :food-smil

Freja
Friday, October 1st, 2004, 08:35 AM
I try the best I can. I was programmed well by my mother, so it feels more right to cook as much of our food as I can from scratch. If there isn´t time for cooking a proper dinner one night, we eat sandwiches and drink cocoa instead of some plastic-wrapped shite.
I don´t even own a micro-wave, and I make a killer lasagne! :laugh:

Norwegian cooking isn´t much to brag about, the really good food you get around here are all foreign dishes. "Får-i-kål" is yummy, though. It´s the season for lamb now, and "får-i-kål" (which means mutton in cabbage) is a seasonal dish where you let pieces of mutton and lots of caggage and whole grains of black pepper simmer for hours and hours. Tastes fantastic!

Norwegian bread is also very good, we eat a lot of whole-grain bread.

Nordgau
Friday, October 1st, 2004, 11:29 AM
I generally eat healthy, however boring and unbalanced. Potatoes are the axis around which all the foods in my kitchen animated by the will to collaboration can revolve. I don't cook great around cunningly, and also as I don't eat too many sorts of fruits and vegetables, there's not much variety in my eating habits. I also drink much milk.

When I buy microwave food, then such with not much fat.

Hersir_Hasteinn
Friday, October 1st, 2004, 01:52 PM
Norwegian bread is also very good, we eat a lot of whole-grain bread.

RugbrØd? (don't know how to get the little o....)

Freja
Friday, October 1st, 2004, 02:15 PM
No, not that kind of bread, the average norwegian doesn´t like "surdeigsbrød". (I think it´s called rye in english.) I do, though, and it´s really healthy, too.

NormanBlood
Friday, October 1st, 2004, 09:29 PM
Rye bread is probably my favourite kind of bread heh. Anyways, I would say I eat healthily with no junk food and a decent amount of exercise...which I am criticised for constantly.

Saturday, October 2nd, 2004, 04:47 AM
Eating healthy is something I consider natural for any nationally concious patriot, since the healthier we are, the stronger we can get, and the more we'll then be able to contribute with to our nations and peoples in all ways.

Personally I've got really good experiences with primarily following the advices given in Sally Fallon & Mary G. Enig, Ph.D.: "Nourishing traditions. The cookbook that challenges politically correct nutrition and the diet dictorats".
Basically they advocate a diet consisting first and foremost of traditional foods, prepared in a traditional way. For the first about 60 pages they explain their view and the science upon which they base it, while the rest of the more than 600 pages thick book consists of easy made, simple but great tasting recipies. I would definately recommend this book to anyone interested in either health, food or both. Besides; it's really cheap and can be bought at amazon, where a lot of other extremely positive reviews can be seen as well.

But of course eating is not the only necessary element of a healthy life; physical and intellectual training should of course be added along with avoiding all unnecessary health damaging activities as far as possible... :)

Hersir_Hasteinn
Saturday, October 2nd, 2004, 05:08 AM
No, not that kind of bread, the average norwegian doesn´t like "surdeigsbrød". (I think it´s called rye in english.) I do, though, and it´s really healthy, too.

Ah.

A Danish friend of mine actually sent me a loaf of rugbrod (curse that o!) for christmas, and I thought it was quite good. I was kind of hoping that was what you were talking about... Because then I might be able to snatch the recipe away from you! (He could talk decent English... but he couldn't translate the recipe. :( )

Saturday, October 2nd, 2004, 05:17 AM
Ah.

A Danish friend of mine actually sent me a loaf of rugbrod (curse that o!) for christmas, and I thought it was quite good. I was kind of hoping that was what you were talking about... Because then I might be able to snatch the recipe away from you! (He could talk decent English... but he couldn't translate the recipe. :( )

Rugbrød is rather difficult to make from scratch - just the dough requires quite a few different basic ingredients, and it takes a lot of time to prepare it.
But if you're still interested, then I would probably be able to find a recipe in English, or translate one from Danish myself, and post/send it to you...?

Mistress Klaus
Saturday, October 2nd, 2004, 08:49 AM
:) I cooked Stuffed Capsicums (Farshirovannyi Perets...from a Russian cook-book) the other night & it is interesting (looking through this book) to see the heavy influence of salads (radish, cucumbers, tomatoes, Dill etc) in their diet. I would normally associate salads with the hotter climates. ;).

Hersir_Hasteinn
Saturday, October 2nd, 2004, 02:44 PM
But if you're still interested, then I would probably be able to find a recipe in English, or translate one from Danish myself, and post/send it to you...?

That would be more than great! If you do find/translate a recipte, just PM it to me.

And thank you very very much! :hug:

GreenHeart
Thursday, November 4th, 2004, 01:54 AM
Mostly healthy.

We don't own a microwave. We own a lot of cutting boards and two sets of knives. My husband does most of the cooking, I mostly do the baking. We eat chicken or meat with every meal. All the conventional sources say you shouldn't eat much meat, but where else should you get your iron from? They're not quite right in the head! Lately we've been eating a lot of sandwiches on nice German bread with no preservatives and apples alongside. The only fruits I will really eat are apples, berries, pineapples, mandarines and bananas, but I haven't tried many either.

Mainly I like things like bread, rice, noodles, potatos and meat. I'm not much for eating fruits and vegetables, but I am trying to add more into my diet. The problem is like someone else mentioned, they just aren't filling. I could probably (theoretically) eat 50 apples without being full. For vegetables I will only eat carrots, peas, corn, potatos and sweet potatos. You can forget salads- I won't touch them with a 20 foot pole. :tongue: The few times in my life I tried to eat a salad I very nearly threw up. Supposedly salads are the healthiest thing you can eat, but I'm sure that if my body reacts that way to something then it's most likely not good for me. My body also doesn't tolerate fat, and I don't like the taste of it either, so it's lean meat that we buy, and no super greasy/fatty items like doughnuts etc.

I have become a chocoholic though, German chocolate is really yummy. Ok, I think I've done enough rambling for the night... :laugh:

Skåne!
Sunday, February 6th, 2005, 07:34 AM
No, I'm not. :( But I do like many healthy dishes though. I must change my lifestyle someday. It's very, very hard when you're dependent. Bad food and sugar are very much like strong drugs. Sad but true.