PDA

View Full Version : Who are the coolest Germanic people? Poll #2

Loki
Thursday, December 25th, 2003, 03:53 PM
I have made this poll to be a more clear in meaning, including only the major ethno-linguistic Germanic divisions to make it more concise and less confusing. I also attach a map for clarification on the different zones on continental Europe.

I have excluded any Prussian element, since it does not exist anymore.

IMO the Boers are also not a distinct Germanic grouping, even though they have developed a unique Netherlandic dialect. So if you like them, then vote for "Niederdeutsch", which is basically what they are (at least 80%).

The sheer size and population of political Germany has necessitated a threefold division (this time more inclusive and less specific).

I have excluded the Faroese for comparison purposes since they are a tiny division.

Please cast your vote!

*EDIT: Thanks to AWAR whose idea this poll was... *

+Suomut+
Thursday, December 25th, 2003, 06:01 PM
I voted for the Frisians this time (split vote: Norse/Frisian)...little ole' Suomut has always had a special place in his heart for the Frisi! Perhaps it's the Frisian in him!? lol ;-D

Frisians are the KINGS & QUEENS! of 'gens teudisca.' :-D

Ederico
Friday, December 26th, 2003, 01:36 AM
Norwegians again here.

Ewergrin
Friday, December 26th, 2003, 04:26 AM
I voted for Norwegians, because I felt like it.

Nordgau
Friday, December 26th, 2003, 10:26 PM
This time I gave my vote to the Icelanders, as the people on this excellent little isle kept many ancient Germanic traditions in times when they were forgotten by the Germanic peoples on the European continent...

//

I wonder if one shouldn't combine Ober- and Mitteldeutsch. The main dialectal borderline in Germany is that between the Low German language area and the area of the High German regional language forms (and from the High German regional languages the High German standard language developed). The division of High German into Middle and Upper German is then another levelling within the High German group, but it isn't from the same importance as the line between Low and High German.

Confusing is that the term "Upper German" is also used sometimes for the whole High German area together if one only makes a bisection of dialectal groups into Low German and thus Upper German (= exactly High German and includes Middle as well as Upper German of the trisection system).

That's also the system that normally is found if one makes a big division between groups of German tribes, as apparently with respect to the character, traditions and language variants of the tribes one only finds the dualism of Low and High Germans, but not of Upper (in a narrower sense) and Middle Germans marked enough for comprehending bigger groups and drawing a line between them: a) Low Germans and b) Upper or High Germans (who include the Middle and Upper Germans of the linguistic trisection).
Compare with:
http://www.deutsche-schutzgebiete.de/deutsche-staemme.htm
http://wikipedia.t-st.de/data/Deutsche_St%E4mme

Perhaps I should create a fourth poll. http://perso.wanadoo.fr/schatzkiste/animierte-gifs/smilies/bilder/189.gif

Awar
Friday, December 26th, 2003, 10:46 PM
I voted for the English again :-) A people that have produced MONTY PYTHON can't be all that bad ;-)

Thruthheim
Sunday, March 12th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Norwegians, I have very close relations with them and extended family.

Great People :thumbup

Johannes de León
Sunday, March 12th, 2006, 02:17 PM
I voted for Germans - Oberdeutsch (incl Austria, Switzerland & Bavaria) as well. :P

Sigurd Volsung
Sunday, March 12th, 2006, 02:22 PM
I will stay loyal to my people - English it is.

newenstad
Sunday, March 12th, 2006, 02:36 PM
German - Oberdeutsch

(what a revival...)

Weg
Sunday, March 12th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Mosello-Alsatians.

Theudiskaz
Sunday, March 12th, 2006, 05:12 PM
I think the Frisians are a very cool Germanic people, because they speak the most closely related language to English, they are solidly Germanic racially, they are a proud and freedom loving minority group who are working hard to reinvigorate their endangered language.

Siegmund
Thursday, March 16th, 2006, 02:02 AM
I voted for "Germans - Oberdeutsch (incl Austria, Switzerland & Bavaria)," because of all the many great Bavarians throughout history, and some extremely cool Bavarian friends in the present day.

Chlodovech
Thursday, March 16th, 2006, 02:07 AM
Niederdeutsch. We hold the ports of continental Germania, and are the life suppliers of the mythos of the heroic Germanic farmer.

We'd still be the coolest without the ports, though. :)

Thusnelda
Friday, March 17th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I voted for "Oberdeutsch Austrian, Bavarian, Switzerland", too. They have their tradition, dialect and culture and are relatively awared of it. And they are more "laid back" than some "cooled down" low german people...;)

Prince Eugen
Friday, March 17th, 2006, 06:48 PM
I voted for oberdeustch because i have friends from that territory!:)

Mjölnir
Friday, March 17th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Ostmark - because the beer is better and the fuehrer called the capital a "PERL".

M.,:D

RedJack
Friday, March 17th, 2006, 09:43 PM
I thought everybody knew that the English are the coolest. ;)

Oswiu
Saturday, March 18th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Gods, I hate stupid pop culture terms like 'cool', which I never use EVER, and I hate it even more when I hear decent educated people using such words.

But I voted Englisc anyway!

Terrible poll, by the way. The Nederlanders are surviving Frankish speakers, are they not? Why bundle them in with my kin among the Ingvaeones?

But more importantly,
Where are the Glorious Dead? The GOTHS?! The VANDALS?! May their names never be forgotten!

p.s. That is interesting about the Mitteldeutsch and Oberdeutsch making one group in contradistinction to the Nieder ones. Can anyone explain this to me, demonstrating concrete regular things like sound shifts???

Mannerheim
Wednesday, March 22nd, 2006, 02:43 PM
Of course all

germanic
Thursday, September 21st, 2006, 06:30 PM
All Germanics are equal and we are a united people that share common blood, common DNA common culture, heritage and future

BUT THE ENGLISH ARE COOLER.:thumbup

Damarus
Sunday, October 29th, 2006, 10:51 PM
I voted Danes to give them a fighting chance.

Wolfgrim
Sunday, November 12th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Does "Netherlands" include Flanders?

Chlodovech
Sunday, November 12th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Does "Netherlands" include Flanders?

For the sake of the poll, yes. :)

Are we the coolest, or what, Wolfgrim? :D

Wolfgrim
Monday, November 13th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Of course we are :thumbup
Eventhough all of them (us) are cool in their (our) own way...:grouphug

Peter
Wednesday, November 15th, 2006, 08:37 PM
I love a lot Norway and Flandrers.

Tenkterian
Wednesday, November 29th, 2006, 02:18 PM
I chose the frisians, because regularly they don't talk too much (and if they do, they often surprise with an odd kind of humor) which gives them - at least to non-frisians - an aura of seriousness and rough, fatalistic view upon life, while the bavarians e.g. tend to spread "Gemütlichkeit", wherever they go, which I don't consider cool...

There is this joke about frisians, in which two frisian fishermen (Hans and Fritz) silently stand by the north-sea shore all day, until Fritz goes: "Cold wheather, eh?" Hans agrees with a nod.
And when Hans' wife asks him in the evening, what his day was like, he respondes: "All right, but Fritz was one hell of a blabbermouth."

Taras Bulba
Wednesday, November 29th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Without a doubt Oberdeutsch (incl Austria, Switzerland & Bavaria).

Kipcak
Wednesday, January 10th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Surely, Icelanders. They have been isolated by ocean and less mixed. They are overblond and have tough face expression.

Melchtal
Monday, January 22nd, 2007, 04:34 PM
I voted for "Oberdeutsch Austrian, Bavarian, Switzerland", because i am Swiss and Switzerland is really cool

Blood_Axis
Monday, January 22nd, 2007, 04:48 PM
Coolest? :P I'd have said High Germans overall, but considering this poll I voted for Germans - Oberdeutsch (incl Austria, Switzerland & Bavaria) due to personal experience, etc.
I also voted for the most popular option in this poll, coincidentally? I think not ;)

It's just that when I think "German", the man with the short moustache as well as the Nutty Bavarian precede Norwegians and Icelanders :D

Boche
Monday, January 22nd, 2007, 04:57 PM
So less for mitteldeutsch? :| I'm shocked.
Hessen's/Chatti's Alcohol-Culture (Ebblwoi, Stöffche etc.)... our germanic tribe who fought bravely...our food specialities.... our unique accent.

"The Chatti successfully resisted incorporation into the Roman Empire, joining the Cheruscan war leader Arminius' coalition of tribes that annihilated Varus' legions in 9 in the Battle of Teutoburg Forest. Germanicus later, in 15, raided their lands in revenge, but Rome eventually responded to the Chatti's belligerent defense of their independence by building the limes border fortifications along the southern boundary of their lands in central Hesse during the early years of the 1st century. The remnants of a very large fortified retreat have been found on a hill near the village of Metze (Latin: Mattium) in the core lands of the Chatti south of Kassel.

According to Tacitus in his book Germania (chapter 30), they were disciplined warriors famed for their infantry, who (unusual for Germanic tribes) used trenching tools and carried provisions when at war. Their neighbours to the north were the Usipi and Tencteri."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chatti

It's really true that the people know to less about german history nowadays. :|

Gruß,
a disappointed Boche

skal
Monday, January 22nd, 2007, 05:09 PM
I voted for the one and only- Niederdeutsch :D ... Nobody kept heathen traditions so alive than the continental lower germanic people, whether the landscape in northern germany and the netherlands is a bit boring and bleak.

Ns: Also no other germanic people drink such a great amount of my favourite liquor "Korn", and no other germanic people have traditions i´m such enrooted with... ("Kloatsheeten" and so forth)

Boche
Monday, January 22nd, 2007, 05:34 PM
Nobody kept heathen traditions so alive than the continental lower germanic people

Seems like you've never been to Hessen then.

Got any statistics or proof for your claim?

I think it's impossible to say where they kept paganistic and heathenistic traditions the most alive.
Here it's not rare to see Algiz Runes on Gravestones.

Gruß,
Boche

Theudiskaz
Monday, January 22nd, 2007, 05:45 PM
I think it's impossible to say where they kept paganistic and heathenistic traditions the most alive.
Here it's not rare to see Algiz Runes on Gravestones.
Really?! Do you have any photos of this? I would be very interested in seeing them.:)

Boche
Monday, January 22nd, 2007, 05:57 PM
Really?! Do you have any photos of this? I would be very interested in seeing them.:)

I'll take some within this week and maybe make an own thread for it, concerning heathenism in Hessen. Or ill simply post them here yet. But now its to dark to go on the graveyard if you understand. :D

Gruß,
Boche

FinstererStreiter
Monday, January 22nd, 2007, 06:43 PM
Easy answer: Oberdeutsch (incl Austria, Switzerland & Bavaria) :thumbup

We should also differ a little bit between Allemans (Swabs, Vorarlberger, Swiss-Germans) and Bavarians (Bavarians, Austrians except Vorarlberg; Südtiroler). Both tribes are Oberdeutsch, but not the same. They differ in history, culture and dialect/mundart.

Besides the fact that I´m Bavarian and, because of that, not 100% neutral, I´ll bring some further interesting facts:

Very much old traditions of our "ancient" heathendom are alive until today: Maibaum aufstellen, Sonnwendfeiern, Erntedankfest and especially the "Perchten runs" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perchta)
Bavarians are more conservative and seperatistic, but also outgoing and we know how to drink and to "party". We are the legitimate home of beer and many delicious, rustical meals. We have a wonderful nature and a stubborn head, but are friendly nonetheless if you dont provoke us. (Nemo me impune lacessit :P ) We are proud of ourselves and love our unique mentality ("Mia san mia")

Bavaria is a wonderful combination of celtic and germanic people. Bavaria and Austria are the places where celtic and germanic people united together to form one strong tribe in the past!

YES, we may not be the 100%-poster-Nordids, but hey, on the other hand we are not so calmed-down and reserved as many more northern people.

Oswiu
Monday, January 22nd, 2007, 07:51 PM
no other germanic people have traditions i´m such enrooted with... ("Kloatsheeten" and so forth)
I'm curious now! Do tell! :)

Theudiskaz
Monday, January 22nd, 2007, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skal http://forums.skadi.net/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?p=748227#post748227)
no other germanic people have traditions i´m such enrooted with... ("Kloatsheeten" and so forth)

I'm curious now! Do tell! :)

Good ol'e clod-shootin'.:D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klootschieten (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klootschieten)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVx2iE43Ge8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVx2iE43Ge8)

Looks like a fun and simple game. Seems to have developed from farmers seeing who could throw mud or dung clods the furthest.

Herzkasper
Monday, January 22nd, 2007, 11:23 PM
I must admit that I just love the English :)))

:thumbup

It is their humor and spontaneous behaviour I admire.

The English also contributed a great deal to great music and literature.
The only negative thing that comes to my mind is that many do not seem to care too much about their own flora and fauna. There are not many trees left and the country – side is mostly owned by some arrogant landowner, who puts fences around his property.

Theudanaz
Thursday, January 25th, 2007, 02:47 PM
I assume "coolest" is supposed to mean "hippest" or "most hep", as in a 50's way, cool-headed, cool-handed, and not having the lowest body temperature. Thus, the Danes win for me. When Germans or Swedes try to be cool, they just come off looking like dorks (no offense, I'm speaking of the lowest portion of the respective populations, I think). Danes, despite a goofy dorky streak are not quite so fond of comics and weird clothing and weird music as Germans and Swedes. They know most how to "slappe af", how to wear sunglasses and their collars up, and be quiet and look like you don't care.