PDA

View Full Version : Racist crime rises 50% in a year

Loki
Friday, September 17th, 2004, 08:01 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/3665066.stm

Racist crime rises 50% in a year

Racist crimes in Cornwall have increased by 50% in the last year, according to police figures.

The number of racial assaults and harassment incidents increased from 81 between April 2002 to March 2003 to 122 between 2003 and 2004.

Although the number of reports has increased, so too have the numbers of prosecutions and convictions.

The number of people prosecuted went up from 33 to 68 and the number of convictions increased from 18 to 50.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gifhttp://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/start_quote_rb.gif It is an overwhelming problem that there is a denial of racism in the first place http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/end_quote_rb.gif

John McKenzie, The Monitoring Group

According to the 2001 census, less than 1% of the county's population is from an ethnic minority.

John McKenzie from the Monitoring Group, which runs a rural racism project, said of the latest statistics: "I'm not surprised by these figures, but I'm shocked by them.

"It is an overwhelming problem that there is a denial of racism in the first place. We're concerned about what public authorities are doing about this."

Bernie Delord, from north Cornwall, was born in Zanzibar and has lived in the county for 40 years.

She said: "I think the majority of people are great in the whole time I've lived here.

"But I think I am treated differently wherever I go. At some meetings I've had to go to people have thought I was the tea woman.

"I think it's a matter of education and training."

Emma, from Truro, is white but is part of a mixed race family.

She said of one incident: "Another child stood outside the house and called my daughter names.

"But we took the sensible approach and discussed it with the other family there and then and we've had no further problems."

Taken seriously

One housing association has taken steps to tackle discrimination.

Pete Jarman of Carrick Housing said: "We've laid down procedures and policies on who to deal with racial harassment and hate crimes.

"They've been in place for a about a year now and seem to be working OK.

"We would certainly encourage people who are experiencing such problems to come forward and report it to ourselves and the police so we can tackle it. Devon and Cornwall Police said all incidents of racism were taken seriously and that everything was done to bring offenders to justice. The force said people who reported such incidents would be treated with sensitivity and complaints would be investigated thoroughly.

SouthernBoy
Friday, September 17th, 2004, 08:34 PM
When a people feel threatened they will retaliate. There shouldn't be any minorities in Britain so I feel little remorse for those who are there.

Nordgau
Sunday, September 19th, 2004, 04:04 AM
"It is an overwhelming problem that there is a denial of racism in the first place. We're concerned about what public authorities are doing about this."

It's again and again unbelievable with what imputence these people open their dirty mouths for new attacks against our people and lamentations about their final "guilt", while we are in reality the side which is pressed against the wall, beaten and tormented for a long time. The victim is made perpetrator; if an immigrant performs an act of violence against a European, it's in the sick view of those people at last and somehow always the European's own fault, as negative behaviour of the immigrant is always product of the alleged "racism" of the white societies, is result of "repulsion" and as such only re-action against the first and original general aggression of a society, of which every White is bearing element. :mad:

GreenHeart
Friday, September 24th, 2004, 10:44 AM
A similar more infuriating article...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/3730575.stm

Campaign launched to stop racism

Officers say deprived areas in the city have been targeted
Two organisations have launched a campaign to stamp out the circulation of racist promotional literature.

The Monitoring Group's Rural Racism Project and Citizens Advice South West have made the move ahead of the upcoming local and European elections.

According to police figures, the number of reported racist incidents has risen by 21% in Plymouth in the last year.

Officers say deprived areas have been targeted by groups promoting themselves alongside legitimate political parties.

Racist behaviour

The campaign has the support of Devon and Cornwall Police.

Chief Superintendent Morrice Watts said some of the literature could incite racist behaviour.

Ratna Lachman, manager of the Rural Racism Project, said: "Although in our democratic society political parties have a right to campaign, use posters and leaflets and hold public meetings, there are certain strict laws that prevent candidates and their supporters from being racist.

"It stops them from saying and doing things that degrade others because of their membership of any racial or religious group."

They are basically saying: You have the right to express any political view as long as it agrees with ours... :icon12: