PDA

View Full Version : Noršid Folks, Milk, & Dairy Products

+Suomut+
Thursday, September 2nd, 2004, 07:53 AM
http://www.forums.skadi.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1020&stc=1

This thread is devoted to Noršid Folks and our intimate relationship (rather unique within the human species) with cattle, milk, and dairy products...any and all input are welcome!

Thank you,

+Suomut+ :viking3:

Glenlivet
Thursday, September 2nd, 2004, 06:58 PM
http://www.emedicine.com/PED/topic1270.htm

Lactose Intolerance

Frequency:

In the US: Up to 22% of adult white Americans experience lactase deficiency. The prevalence in other racial groups parallels the country of racial origin. The frequency of lactase deficiency in childhood is not well studied. Measurement of lactase activity shows that the frequency of lactase deficiency in childhood is about 60% of the adult frequency; however, symptomatic individuals represent only about 50% of lactase-deficient individuals.

Internationally: Adult-onset lactase deficiency varies widely among countries. Northern Europeans have the lowest prevalence at approximately 5%. Central Europeans have a slightly higher prevalence at approximately 30%, and Southern Europeans have a much higher prevalence at approximately 70%. The Hispanic and Jewish populations also have a high prevalence at approximately 70%, while Northern Indians have a much lower prevalence than the Southern Indians, at approximately 25% and 65%, respectively. Almost all (90%) Asians and Africans are affected.

http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic3429.htm

Background: Lactose intolerance is a common disorder and is due to the inability to digest lactose into its constituents, glucose and galactose, secondary to low levels of lactase enzyme in the brush border of the duodenum. Lactase deficiency is the most common form of disaccharidase deficiency. Enzyme levels are highest shortly after birth and decline with aging, despite a continued intake of lactose. Within the animal world, nonhuman mammals usually lose the ability to digest lactose as they reach adulthood. Some populations of the human species, including those of Asian, South American, and African descent, have a propensity for developing lactase deficiency. By contrast, races descended from northern Europe or from the northwestern Indian subcontinent are likely to retain the ability to absorb lactose into adulthood.

Symptoms of lactose intolerance include loose stools, abdominal bloating and pain, flatulence, nausea, and borborygmi. A diagnosis or even the suggestion of lactose intolerance leads many people to avoid milk and/or consume specially prepared food with digestive aids, adding to health care costs.

Pathophysiology: Lactose, a disaccharide, is present in milk and processed foods. Dietary lactose must be hydrolyzed to a monosaccharide in order to be absorbed by the small intestinal mucosa. A deficiency of intestinal lactase prevents hydrolysis of ingested lactose. The osmotic load of the unabsorbed lactose causes secretion of fluid and electrolytes until osmotic equilibrium is reached. Dilation of the intestine caused by the osmosis induces an acceleration of small intestinal transit, which increases the degree of maldigestion. Within the large intestine, free lactose is fermented by colonic bacteria to yield short-chain fatty acids and hydrogen gas. The combined increase in fecal water, intestinal transit, and generated hydrogen gas accounts for the wide range of gastrointestinal symptoms.

Frequency:

In the US: The prevalence of primary lactose intolerance varies according to race. As many as 25% of the white population (prevalence in those from southern European roots) is estimated to have lactose intolerance, while among black, Native American, and Asian American populations, prevalence is estimated at 75-90%.

Internationally: Of the world's population, 75% is estimated to be lactose-deficient. Lactose intolerance is very common among Asian, South American, and African persons.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20020501/1845.html

Look under TABLE 2
Prevalence of Primary Lactase Deficiency in Various Ethnic Groups

The prevalance among Northern Europeans is according to that article only 2 to 15 %. I have not seen much data on Eastern Europeans. Do you think that they are included in the same group as the Central Europeans?

It is clear that Northern Europeans have the lowest level in the world. It could have been a good test of kinship if northwest Indians did not show such low levels of intolerance. That is quite interesting. They have probably an ancient relation, genetic and/or from their ancestors stance towards dairy products. It is also peculiar that Southern Europeans have the same level of intolerance as do Jews and Hispanics, who have only little less than Asians and Africans. Let us serve more milk. Maybe it's a good selective mechanism of who is our kin :).

Zyklop
Thursday, September 2nd, 2004, 08:28 PM
I drink milk on a daily basis.

Johnny Reb
Friday, September 3rd, 2004, 01:44 AM
I used to drink a few litres a day, and I think it made me lactose intolerant. :(

NordHecate
Friday, September 3rd, 2004, 04:44 AM
Mmmmmmmilk. I have drank milk since I was a child, and continue to every day. I could not see going through a day without it. :icon_bigg

So, where is the smiley drinking milk?

Von Braun
Friday, September 3rd, 2004, 05:05 AM
I knew a very Nordish guy in college who was also very lactose intolerant.

I think this is kind of like blood type. It cuts right across race. Type O blood is very common in several nonwhite groups, while whites have a lot of A indoviduals, but also plenty of O individuals as well. Similarly, even though nonwhites may be much more lactose intolerant than us, you still have a significiant minority of lactose intolerant whites, and even Nordish whites.

From one of the above links: "A sizable number of adults believe they are lactose intolerant but do not actually have impaired lactose digestion"

My mother's parents were German-American dairy farmers, both showing significant Nordish traits. My mother and her family are big on milk consumption but I think even some of them get some flagellance after ingesting some dairy products. Is that normal even for lactose tolerant people (and also what that quote was referring to), or is ANYTHING along those lines a sign of lactose intolerance? I always thought that even lactose tolerant people still had some flagellance some of the time after drinking enough milk.

AngryPotato
Friday, September 3rd, 2004, 06:59 AM
I can picture our ancestors sitting around fires or in great halls having a grand olde time after a few pitchers of milk. :icon_evil

I at times have a reaction to milk, but I can't narrow it down to one thing. I can drink 16oz of milk with no problems and have a fine snack of Ben and Jerrys ice cream without disrupting the neighbors sleep, but occasionally I will run into problems with other foods that include milk. I believe my problem might be a reaction to butter/grease than the dairy products. My father nearly goes through a gallon of 1% milk a day with no problems.

Anyone really enjoy being around farm animals such as cows, pigs, and sheep? No beastiality comments please. :viking2:

Johnny Reb
Friday, September 3rd, 2004, 07:13 AM
I at times have a reaction to milk, but I can't narrow it down to one thing. I can drink 16oz of milk with no problems and have a fine snack of Ben and Jerrys ice cream without disrupting the neighbors sleep, but occasionally I will run into problems with other foods that include milk. I believe my problem might be a reaction to butter/grease than the dairy products. My father nearly goes through a gallon of 1% milk a day with no problems.

Yogurt seems to be my problem. I'm trying to wean myself back on to milk in time for eggnog season.

Anyone really enjoy being around farm animals such as cows, pigs, and sheep?

I enjoy their company when they're on my dinner plate. Otherwise, they kind of freak me out.

Milesian
Friday, September 3rd, 2004, 12:47 PM
I don't think blood group has much to do with Lactose Intolerance other than co-incidentally.

Blood Group O was the original blood type, the other blood groups evolved by adding certain molecules to the outer blood cells.
I think it's reasonable to assume that Lactose Tolerance was selctively retained in those people who historically domesticated and farmed animals and collected their milk for their own consumption for a long enough period of time. Selctive pressures would likely result in those who maitained their ability to digest lactose in becoming prevalent.
Thus we may assume that Northern Europeans and some Northern Indians have been keeping animals and drinking their milk for a long time.

The Celts of the Atlantic periphery have very high levels of blood group O, yet traditionally knocked back a frightening amount of dairy produce and don't have much problem with Lactose Intolerace

Mistress Klaus
Friday, September 3rd, 2004, 02:02 PM
:viking3: :viking3: I am a big cheese eater. (Laying back on a sun lounge (preferably by water), flutes of white wine & a cheese platter...bliss).. I have tried heaps from around the world. Favourites being from the Scandinavian countries (the names have completely escaped from my mind at this moment :icon_surp !! Unbelieveable on my part for that.). I like my cheeses either strong or the creamy soft type. Don't think much of the in-between Mild-Medium types. Tried this goat cheese with oregano the other week & it was awful! :rotfl:
Having one of my Grunland (not really a cheese, but a cheese spread with chives from Germany) frenzies at the moment. :icon_mrgr

The theory that milk is a good source of calcium has been debated of late (and of old by the inner circle of folk who possess true food awareness). The pasteurising process of the milk ruins the goodness. (Heating it to almost boiling point to kill the bacteria). It has been suggested that excessive (processed) milk consumption is actually bad for you and quite useless for any real nutritional values. Cheese is better.

Milesian
Friday, September 3rd, 2004, 02:09 PM
Yeah, I love mature cheddars ;)
My favourite at the moment is McLelland's Scottish Mature.
It's not very good to eat as it is (too tangy and crumbly) but it's superb when melted onto toast.

Double Gloucstershire is another favourite.
I can only survive so long with it :)

NordHecate
Friday, September 3rd, 2004, 02:22 PM
Yeah, I love mature cheddars ;)
My favourite at the moment is McLelland's Scottish Mature.
It's not very good to eat as it is (too tangy and crumbly) but it's superb when melted onto toast.

Double Gloucstershire is another favourite.
I can only survive so long with it :)

Munster. So very good!

Le Bleu d'Auvergne AOC. A good French cheese, one of their best IMO.

Stinky cheeses = :icon_razz

Shaun
Saturday, September 4th, 2004, 12:58 AM
Interesting. Everybody in my family (especially myself) drink(s) milk more than any other liquid. It's always seemed odd to me, because other families seem to drink juice and almost no milk. I can't remember seeing friends' families drinking milk, come to think about it.

Dr. Solar Wolff
Saturday, September 4th, 2004, 03:06 AM
Being able to digest lactose is one of the most fundamental mutations and breakthroughs for our race. It is what seperates our race from all the others. Our race has its own, unique niche for getting nourishment. The only other people who can do this are East Africans but they got it in Neolithic times through migration from the Near East.

Von Braun
Saturday, September 4th, 2004, 03:10 AM
Being able to digest lactose is one of the most fundamental mutations and breakthroughs for our race. It is what seperates our race from all the others. Our race has its own, unique niche for getting nourishment. The only other people who can do this are East Africans but they got it in Neolithic times through migration from the Near East.

Apparently many people misdiagnose themselves with lactose intolerance. Does not the gastrointestinal activity have to be severe (cramps, extreme bloating, diarrhea) as opposed to mild (painless flagellence, etc.), the latter being normal for even lactose tolerant people?

cosmocreator
Saturday, September 4th, 2004, 08:49 AM
I'm type O and am not intolerant. Old cheddar is good. Danish blue chesse is really good.