PDA

View Full Version : $10M grant creates math center (for mestizos only)

SaveEurope
Tuesday, August 31st, 2004, 03:06 AM
Federal grant lets UA departments teach Tucson's Latino K-8 students math basics

A $10 million grant from the National Science Foundation will create the Center for the Mathematics Education of Latinos and Latinas (CEMELA) here at the UA.

The center is being formed by a partnership between the UA's department of language, reading and culture in the College of Education and the UA's mathematics department in the College of Science.

Yeah...I attend this school. :coffee:

http://wildcat.arizona.edu/papers/98/6/01_6.html

Nordhammer
Tuesday, August 31st, 2004, 05:58 AM
"Moll said the growing number of Latino students, primarily in low-income schools, was a major factor in seeking the establishment of CEMELA.

"They are going to be the new majority," said Moll, referring to census data predicting an increase in Latino students.

Mathematics professor Marta Civil said the primary focus of the center would be to educate existing teachers in the field as well as to teach new instructors methods for appealing to Latinos when teaching mathematics."

Where are the ranting Jews like Tim Wise to talk about Latino privilege. Special race-based grants are definitely racial discrimination.

Don't these people claim their ancestors invented the zero and had advanced mathematics? Why do they need special math education?

How exactly are teachers going to appeal to Latinos in a better way? (Someone else make the jokes I'm too tired. ;))

SaveEurope
Tuesday, August 31st, 2004, 06:20 AM
Don't these people claim their ancestors invented the zero and had advanced mathematics?

Yeah I hear that a lot, namely that movie "Stand and Deliver".

How exactly are teachers going to appeal to Latinos in a better way?

Good question, I think it is safe to say it would involve giving them something if they solve a problem correctly.