PDA

View Full Version : Norwegian police accused of racism

Loki
Tuesday, August 3rd, 2004, 12:34 AM
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article838718.ece

Police accused of racism

Complaints of systematic harassment by the Police Immigration Unit (PU) in Oslo have convinced the Norwegian Organization for Asylum Seeker (NOAS) to ask law-enforcement authorities to step in. Police stand accused of stripping applicants naked and mistreating immigrants trying to register.

SAMPLE COMPLAINTS November 2003: A police inspector tore the veil from a pregnant woman from Libya. Police took an ID-photo that shows her crying. Her Norwegian husband was a witness.

December 2003: A Syrian man was called a liar every time he tried to speak.

December 2003: A Palestinian man was forced to strip naked while a female officer was present.

January 2004: Two Russian minors were forced to wait for 12 hours without food or drink. In the middle of the night they were subjected to a hard interview while a policewoman called them liars.

February 2004: An Iranian man was informed that all Iranians would be rejected.

March 2004: An Afghan family was given nothing to eat in the course of an entire day, interviewed when exhausted.

July 2004: A family from Yemen was told they were unwanted in Norway

There have also been several complaints filed about police interpreters. Related stories: Deportations hit new record (http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article696270.ece) - Immigration in Oslo continues to rise (http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article668941.ece) - Record number of immigrants sent home (http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article664767.ece) - Top cop wants to curb immigration (http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article570169.ece) - NOAS told newspaper VG that they became convinced of the gravity of the situation after sporadic complaints grew to a steady stream of similar tales. Now the organization has sent the PU a letter with a copy to police commissioner Knut Holen.

NOAS said the incidents had occurred in connection with the registration of asylum seekers at the immigration unit in Oslo and the organization saw no reason to doubt the stories.

"This is so serious that we have asked police management to intervene. Clear breaches of the law have occurred," said NOAS secretary general Morten Tjessem.

"From the information we have these complaints are credible. In several cases they have been subjected to extremely serious and illegal treatment. Even if some of the asylum seekers turn out to be exaggerating it is clear that police have behaved shamefully," Tjessem said.

"I choose to believe that individuals are behind these excesses, not the police in general. But I am surprised that the administration has not reacted independently. It indicates a lack of quality control routines," Tjessem said.

The PU would not comment on the charges but information chief Roar Hanssen said that they have invited NOAS to a meeting in early August to discuss the situation.

Shaun
Tuesday, August 3rd, 2004, 02:37 AM
The foreigners, what is it that they did/said?

Northern Paladin
Tuesday, August 3rd, 2004, 03:06 AM
I don't even understand why Nordic Countries take in Immigrants. The fact is they would be a lot better off without them.

LOL Parasitic Foreigners complaining about "bad" treatment. Hopefully the bad treatment teaches them a lesson.

SouthernBoy
Tuesday, August 3rd, 2004, 05:25 AM
Very True, Northern_Paladin! I hope in the near future they finally look at themselves as the rarest populations of the world and not just some stupid "asylum' for poor foriegners. I believe Norway is the most progressive country in Scandinavia towards this direction. I hope they stop all immigration. :D

Xakep
Tuesday, August 3rd, 2004, 07:39 AM
Well,

I think that Police Immigration Unit was not right in their actions. On the other side I completely agree with Northern Paladin on the immigration policies. Immigration should be completely cut off and there should be two levels of visitor access. One for people of European origin and another for people of non-European origin.

Loki
Tuesday, August 3rd, 2004, 07:42 AM
One for people of European origin and another for people of non-European origin.
This is not sufficient for Nordic countries. They should allow for migration only from other Nordic countries. Sweden, for example, has heaps of "white" people from the Balkans, and they are polluting the country's racial makeup and health. They are not desired immigrants, and I lump them together with the non-whites.

Xakep
Tuesday, August 3rd, 2004, 07:48 AM
Loki,

Please read the last two sentences again. What I ment is that there should be two levels of visitor access, not immigration access.

Loki
Tuesday, August 3rd, 2004, 12:27 PM
Loki,

Please read the last two sentences again. What I ment is that there should be two levels of visitor access, not immigration access.
Apologies. I agree with you, yes.

Northern Paladin
Wednesday, August 4th, 2004, 03:07 AM
Very True, Northern_Paladin! I hope in the near future they finally look at themselves as the rarest populations of the world and not just some stupid "asylum' for poor foriegners. I believe Norway is the most progressive country in Scandinavia towards this direction. I hope they stop all immigration. :D

Actually Denmark is quite "progressive" in restricting Immigration as well. Danes are smart of enough to realize the value of restricting immigration. Same with Finland.

The least progressive of all the Scandanaivian countries is Sweden. The Damned Social Democrats wouldn't stop proclaiming the benefits of Diversity and the need for more Immigrants..