PDA

View Full Version : 11,000 Commit Suicide in Germany Each Year

Flag-Soil
Monday, September 25th, 2006, 11:31 AM
11 September 2006

BERLIN - Outside Berlin's main memorial to war and suffering, the ruined Gedaechtniskirche, 11,000 tiny candles were lit Sunday to commemorate the same number of people who commit suicide in Germany every year.

The country's annual suicide toll exceeds the total number killed in road accidents, murders, by drugs and HIV-AIDS. The World Health Organization has said that someone takes their own life in Germany on an average every 47 minutes.

The ecumenical service was held to mark World Suicide Prevention Day. The venue is a downtown church wrecked by World War II bombing and only partly reconstructed as a monument.

Indifferent
Thursday, October 19th, 2006, 04:42 PM
In Nordrhein-Westfalen, every 2 hours a train arrives too late because someone's throwing himself infront of it. Suicide is a taboo topic in Germany so people try to avoid discussions as good as they can, which is very sad and very ignorant and in my opinion the greatest problem about it. Yet it's probably just another sign of social decay with people not being able to empathize (or just don't want to, out of the pure habit of living selfish/egoistic), read warning signals or just raise the topic of professional treatment. Psychotherapy is available for everyone who wants to end it and the success rate is rather good if people cooperate. There are many other reasons of course why young people commit suicide, I guess it has been debated here already.

HakenTT
Friday, October 20th, 2006, 03:59 AM
German people today are cold as ice, there is no wormth toward its kind, simply they are too selfish. When someone is depressed in germany no one would say anything good to this person. Every time I meet a german person I salute him with "vi getz kamerad" or however you spell it, it leally makes the person happier that day.

DeutschFeuer
Monday, October 30th, 2006, 09:45 PM
"Kamerad" is a forbidden word in the Bundesrepublik... that is stupid all the time, but you are right. We should say "hello" to our people and be more friendly to ourself.

DeutschFeuer

HakenTT
Tuesday, November 7th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Kamerad ist forbuten? That is crazy crazy, I can only laugh to german government. What ashame.

andiberlin
Friday, November 24th, 2006, 09:31 PM
...FRG...not Germany!

Paganist
Friday, December 22nd, 2006, 10:05 AM
It is tragic, but everyone has the right to choose over his life.
The statistic speaks a clear language. It shows, that some people do not know about the worth of their lives.

And what is wrong with the word "Kamerad".

forkbeard
Monday, November 3rd, 2008, 10:54 AM
Why are people so sad?. If these people just for one year took out their rage on the "enemies of the people," half our problems would be solved. No one should die a straw death. One should die a memorable death. Who forgets Gavrillo Princip?