PDA

View Full Version : What is the importance of Godess Skadi for North European 'paganists'?

Hellenic Eagle
Friday, December 19th, 2003, 09:51 PM
I understand Skadi is the Godess of winter, but why was her name chosen for a forum such as this one? Is she the most important deity in the Scandinavian pantheon? What is your approach to her qualities, those of you that possibly follow the Scandinavian 'pagan' ways of religion?

NormanBlood
Saturday, December 20th, 2003, 07:18 AM
A part from being the goddess of winter, snow and such she is also the goddess of justice, vengeance and righeous anger. Personally that is why she is important to me. Though regarding the Norse pantheon I wouldn't call her the "most important" though it really depends on the heathen. Some tend to lean towards the AEsir while others towards the Vanir (Skadi being of the latter). Anyways I can see what she stands for (vengeance, justice and righteous anger) as representing certain goals many heathens have, especially regarding the reclaiming of culture.

Haldís
Saturday, December 20th, 2003, 03:14 PM
A part from being the goddess of winter, snow and such she is also the goddess of justice, vengeance and righeous anger. Personally that is why she is important to me. Though regarding the Norse pantheon I wouldn't call her the "most important" though it really depends on the heathen. Some tend to lean towards the AEsir while others towards the Vanir (Skadi being of the latter). Anyways I can see what she stands for (vengeance, justice and righteous anger) as representing certain goals many heathens have, especially regarding the reclaiming of culture.
very well said but that is not why the site is called Skadi. : )

-Reginleif

Hellenic Eagle
Sunday, December 21st, 2003, 12:07 AM

True

NormanBlood
Sunday, December 21st, 2003, 07:48 AM
very well said but that is not why the site is called Skadi. : )

-Reginleif

Hmmm...well it was just a guess as that was the only clear tie I could see between the forum purpose and the goddess and it made sense. Why was the name chosen then?

Gladstone
Sunday, December 21st, 2003, 11:22 PM
I'm actually surprised how well-known this site is. Only yesterday, someone at university told a friend of mine during a discussion... "Oh yeah, I know this site from the Skadi List...."

Roughly 1.5 million hits on the Toplist (http://www.skadi.net/topsites/) alone are not too shabby.... would have taken me quite some effort to get as many pamphlets out.

People enjoy high quality, good humored, intelligent, conversation. It's only natural they are attracted to this place. A place where they can get a good workout of the mind.:-)

Praised be the Internet. ; )

Here! Here! Far better that than "Praise be to Big Brother!";-)

Ederico
Monday, December 22nd, 2003, 03:20 PM
As NormanBlood described the Goddess I like her already, actually she is awesome, Goddess of Winter? That is already enough to make me love her, lol.

Gladstone
Monday, December 22nd, 2003, 03:53 PM
As NormanBlood described the Goddess I like her already, actually she is awesome, Goddess of Winter? That is already enough to make me love her, lol.

Picturing her skiing out and about in the mountains is a really cool image and is something of a turn-on, no question.:-)

NormanBlood
Tuesday, December 23rd, 2003, 05:30 AM
It simply was the nick of one of my most dear online friends. ; )

I'm actually surprised how well-known this site is. Only yesterday, someone at university told a friend of mine during a discussion... "Oh yeah, I know this site from the Skadi List...."

Roughly 1.5 million hits on the Toplist (http://www.skadi.net/topsites/) alone are not too shabby.... would have taken me quite some effort to get as many pamphlets out. Praised be the Internet. ; )

Oh lol...definetly would not have guessed that hehe

Btw, with all this talk of Skadi. Have any of you heard Hagalaz Runedance's "Wake Skadi"..very good song;)

Gladstone
Tuesday, December 23rd, 2003, 08:00 PM
Just ran into this and thot I might print it out

WAKE SKADI

In the winter mountains high,
Where avalanches roar and frozen lakes sigh
The sough of the wind to hear
The howl of the wolves sweet tune to her ear
Wake Skadi, come patroness
Guide me through your crystal woods

Silvery goddess of the snow,
Your shining beauty melts the cold
Dress me in your white shawl
Kindle my fierce passions
Wake Skadi, proud northern giantess
I invoke your strength

Mistress of the hunt,
Raise the spirit of freedom
Led your sisters into the chase,
Arouse their untamed nature
Wake Skadi; light the flames of courage,
Wake your sisters' will to fight

Sister of wolves,
Seek your companions
You heard the call of the wild
I summon your instinct
Wake Skadi, defend your kind
Guard them from the hateful hand of the blind

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Boulevard/4646/images/spellbound.jpg

I like particularly the last couple of lines.:-) Um...does that constitute a hate crime? ;-)

Gladstone
Tuesday, December 23rd, 2003, 08:37 PM
Ran into that too. A link to it; #7 on down of the list of MP3's

http://websearch.cs.com/cs/boomframe.jsp?query=Wake+Skadi&page=1&offset=0&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26amp %3BrequestId%3De9e93c1d82cd8194%26amp%3B clickedItemRank%3D7%26amp%3BuserQuery%3D Wake%2BSkadi%26amp%3BclickedItemURN%3Dht tp%253A%252F%252Fclub.mp3search.ru%252Fs earch.html%253Ftarget%253Dalbum%2526q%25 3DVolven%26amp%3BinvocationType%3D-%26amp%3BfromPage%3DCSroll&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fclub.mp3search.r u%2Fsearch.html%253Ftarget%253Dalbum%252 6q%253DVolven

NormanBlood
Wednesday, December 24th, 2003, 04:26 AM
Yep, thats the song. Personally I really enjoy Andreas' music, she's definetly very talented.

http://www.nebelhexe.com/index2.htm Here is her website. Another song I recommend is "Seeker Divine", it is a song about Odin, it truly sends chills up my spine. "Your World in My Eyes" is also a great song.

And another touching song:

THE HOME THAT I WILL NEVER SEE

Vast forests with evergreen trees
Foggy hills the eye can see
The wind sweeps through a valley
That lies by the deep blue see

A village from another time
Awakens with the misty dawn
This is my home my mind shows me
The home that I will never see

Small houses, carved in dragonheads and runes
The smell of tar and burning wood
Men and women breathe their souls to their craft
Some dancing to the lyre’s tunes

A young man wraps his arms round me
One dancing flame we came to be
The only vows I chose to know
This is the place I call my home

Oh, the vision tortures me
I will never really see
I will never smell its smell
Nor touch the face of my loved one

My village by the deep blue sea
Today an ugly factory
Oh, why has it become my fate?
That I am here one thousand years too late

This is the music our people should be listening to, not that mainstream crap teens are listening to today!

Gladstone
Wednesday, December 24th, 2003, 05:04 AM
Nice lyrics to The Home. It's funny, the link that had the lyrics to Wake Skadi did not even have her name accrediting the song to her, I only just saw that now checking out the link you provided. I was thinking it might be someone elses work. Great job she did on the writing.

The woman below the lyrics to Wake Scadi on my post is Ingrid Bergman, born in Stockholm. ;-)

NormanBlood
Friday, December 26th, 2003, 04:40 AM
Hmm..thats odd. I'm pretty sure on the credits in "Volven" it says all lyrics+music by Andrea "Nebel" Haugen. I'll double check later on.

Btw, there are some interesting things written in her book "Fires of Midgard". There are some nice details on different traditions and celebrations on the site where it says "The Book" which brings you to some exerts from the book, and udner the "Northern Traditions and the Natural Lore" title.

Dr. Solar Wolff
Monday, December 29th, 2003, 07:33 AM
Look, if you want my favorites it would be the goddess Erde (earth) which would replace the stupid choice of Lovejoy for his theory of the earth balancing itself when confronted with an enviornmental crisis. Or it would be Idun, the goddess who gave the Nordic gods the apple of life on which they ate and lived each day. But I didn't have what was necessary to start this forum, so maybe we should go with what got us here.

Gladstone
Tuesday, December 30th, 2003, 05:02 PM
Hmm..thats odd. I'm pretty sure on the credits in "Volven" it says all lyrics+music by Andrea "Nebel" Haugen. I'll double check later on.

Btw, there are some interesting things written in her book "Fires of Midgard". There are some nice details on different traditions and celebrations on the site where it says "The Book" which brings you to some exerts from the book, and udner the "Northern Traditions and the Natural Lore" title.

What it was is that page with the lyrics had been taken from Haugen's main site and placed as a website all by itself and not accrediting her.

Sounds likea good book, Norman, thanks for the tips. :)

Mistress Klaus
Monday, February 2nd, 2004, 12:58 PM
Here's a song I wrote back in 1997 for my 'Myrkvid' album about the Frost Giantess Skadi...
www.skadi.net/skadheim/

Riding the Thrymheim Winds
Down from frosted mountains I came
To avenge my slain blood kin
Frost Giantess, mistress of dark magic
My enemies will lay slain in my path

Confronted by treacherous acts
Of cunning & beguilement
Woed to forgiveness I stand
My useless sword I grasp

The shining god I desire
One I want I must choose
But within darkness I am hindered
My lust leads to another
A Vanir of light and sea
I long for the darkness

The mountains & winter snow
My realm of iced kingdoms
Land...land of frosted plains

Now I am summoned
To a feast of the the gods
The accused is revealed
My revenge of venom burns his flesh
Suffer for nine days & nights
For I am Skadi....Frost Giantess
Huntress of black magic & harm
Riding the Thrymheim Winds of fate & revenge.

(c)1997Skadi.Niflheim/Skadheim Productions

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Monday, May 31st, 2004, 11:45 PM
She personifies Kjolen or Skanderna.

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Monday, May 31st, 2004, 11:55 PM
Hmmm...well it was just a guess as that was the only clear tie I could see between the forum purpose and the goddess and it made sense. Why was the name chosen then?
I personally feel it should be a different name. Skadi is Skandinavien.