PDA

View Full Version : Katz surname

Drakkar
Tuesday, September 19th, 2006, 07:24 AM
I have no idea where to put this thread so I'll post it here: I know that Katz is a German-Jewish name, but is it also an ethnic name as well? I know a girl from Stuttgart who's a Katz and is Catholic...

Theudanaz
Tuesday, September 19th, 2006, 08:30 AM
I have no idea where to put this thread so I'll post it here: I know that Katz is a German-Jewish name, but is it also an ethnic name as well? I know a girl from Stuttgart who's a Katz and is Catholic...

Sure, that is a good German surname, not strictly Ashcan nazi. I believe the latter version comes form the former, more than a supposed acronym of "kohen tzedek".

Drakkar
Wednesday, September 20th, 2006, 02:22 AM
so if it's origins do not lie with the Ashcan-nazis, does it simply mean cat? or possibly a geographical reference?

Mercator
Wednesday, September 20th, 2006, 02:45 AM
Here, in Buenos Aires, Katz is very common among jews; also Katzberger and Katznelson. It's a Iddische surname.

P.S.: your friend maybe a converted jew;)

Theudanaz
Wednesday, September 20th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Here, in Buenos Aires, Katz is very common among jews; also Katzberger and Katznelson. It's a Iddische surname.

P.S.: your friend maybe a converted jew;)

Katznelson?!? :scratch is that like a hyphenated name (Katz-Nelson) which is ridiculous and so obviously jewish, or is it to be parsed Katznel-son (Katznel's son?) ;)

According to ancestry.com it means cat, and can be jewish or just German. But if it is in a crazy combination like Katzberger (from Cat mountain?!?!) it's probably Jewish.

Best thing to do is steal some of his/her DNA and run a test.

Mercator
Thursday, September 21st, 2006, 12:21 AM
Katznelson?!? :scratch is that like a hyphenated name (Katz-Nelson) which is ridiculous and so obviously jewish, or is it to be parsed Katznel-son (Katznel's son?) ;)

According to ancestry.com it means cat, and can be jewish or just German. But if it is in a crazy combination like Katzberger (from Cat mountain?!?!) it's probably Jewish.

Best thing to do is steal some of his/her DNA and run a test.

Yeah, it's funny! "Kitty" Nelson?:D

Dr. Solar Wolff
Thursday, September 21st, 2006, 02:51 AM
I have never met or heard of an American with the name Katz who was not Jewish.

Nicola_Canadian
Thursday, September 21st, 2006, 04:14 AM
The Mayor of Moscow Mr. Luzhkov is a jew with a real lastname - Katz

http://www.internacia-gazeto.com/articoli-2006/c-023_Mosca_files/Luzhkov.jpg

Drakkar
Thursday, September 21st, 2006, 05:07 AM
well, of course it is a common Jewish surname, so I just commented about it a bit, and she just thought it was just interesting and wasn't all like "Oh well, my grandfather was in the camps but converted." or some concentration camp story most American Jews carry around with them, always being very bitter about everything German etc etc.. as far as I know, her family fought in WW2 and she wasn't totally turned off by all the Nazi talk... (I can't help it, but I always ask Germans about their family's part in the war.) Maybe her ancestors converted, but there are still questions I have, like: didn't the Nazi Racial Law do a surname and ethnicity search for everyone recruiting?

Drakkar
Wednesday, March 21st, 2007, 05:54 AM
Just an update: Her great grandfather was Jewish and converted to Catholicism in the turn of the last century. :fwink: