PDA

View Full Version : The Maple Leaf Forever

mav0ric
Tuesday, September 3rd, 2002, 04:50 AM
This has always been one of my favorites but that first verse is the most powerful. Penned appropriately enough in 1867 Canada's Confederation year, The Maple Leaf Forever enthusiastically celebrates our history and European roots. Unlike "O Canada", which is changed to make it politically correct from time to time, The Maple Leaf Forever proudly proclaims the real origins of this country. It was written by school teacher Alexander Muir (1830-1906) who was then principal of Leslieville Public School in Toronto's East End .

Here is the whole version,

In Days of yore,
From Britain's shore,
Wolfe the dauntless hero came
And planted firm Britannia's flag
On Canada's fair domain.
Here may it wave,
Our boast, our pride,
And join in love together,
The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
The Maple Leaf Forever
[CHORUS]
The Maple Leaf
Our Emblem Dear,
The Maple Leaf Forever.
God save our Queen and heaven bless,
The Maple Leaf Forever.
At Queenston Heights and Lundy's Lane
Our brave fathers side by side
For freedom's home and loved ones dear,
Firmly stood and nobly died.
And so their rights which they maintained,
We swear to yield them never.
Our watchword ever more shall be:
The Maple Leaf Forever!
[CHORUS]
Our fair Dominion now extends
From Cape Race to Nootka Sound
May peace forever be our lot
And plenty a store abound
And may those ties of love be ours
Which discord cannot sever
And flourish green for freedom's home
The Maple Leaf Forever.
[CHORUS]

Verslingen
Friday, September 24th, 2004, 11:39 PM
Ditich the Britain crap and it'll work for me!

Heil Kanada!!!

Verslingen

The Blond Beast
Saturday, September 25th, 2004, 10:32 AM

I don't mind. Britain (to a lesser extent, France) seeded Canada and will always form the (interesting) basis of Canadian history.

Regardless of the fact that the Queen currently has nothing to do with Canadian affairs, she is still an interesting figurehead and tied inextricably to Canada's past.

Telperion
Saturday, September 25th, 2004, 10:45 PM
"The Maple Leaf Forever" is certainly a more stirring tune than "O Canada", at least to those of British descent. That "O Canada" became the national anthem can be seen as symbolic of the growing political power of the Quebecois, since they disliked "The Maple Leaf Forever" on the grounds that it reminded them of their military defeat at the hands of General Wolfe.

Babbage
Sunday, September 26th, 2004, 07:07 PM

Heil Kanada!!!

Verslingen
I have to ask: do you really expect us to keep you here, after we gain some form of consciousness, when you make such comments? No healthy people would tolerate such slander. In the recent past you would have been interned during wartime, for that comment alone.

Jehan
Tuesday, October 12th, 2004, 05:23 AM
It is absurd to expect Quebecers to like this song. It may fit you well, but I'd never want this as my national hymn, because it does not fit what I am. I do not hail the queen. Quebec really shouldn't be part of Canada. France never seeded Canada's history, it seeded Quebec's history. Those are two different folks, with two different cultures, and they belong to two different countries. I have absolutely nothing against canadians, but I do know I am not one. And by the way, O Canada isn't liked at all by Quebecers, and we do not want to have any power in Canada. We just don't want to be part of it, that's it. O Canada is a stupid attempt to make an illusion of national unity in Canada, and since there's two versions of it(french and english), even this fails miserably.

Telperion
Wednesday, October 13th, 2004, 01:28 AM
O Canada is a stupid attempt to make an illusion of national unity in Canada, and since there's two versions of it(french and english), even this fails miserably.
That is true, and it is clear that nothing binds the country together today other than inertia.

Jehan
Wednesday, October 13th, 2004, 02:23 AM
And lust for money. :D

Seriously, if you stop and think about it, the only thing that unite canadian people together is....err, that they like money. There's really only this. It's quite sad.

Loyalist
Friday, March 21st, 2008, 08:49 PM
I felt it inappropriate to post in Siebenbürgerin's thread what isn't Canada's official national anthem, but I also refuse to recognize, in any form, the leftist trash that is used to represent Canada now.

The Maple Leaf Forever is a Canadian song written by Alexander Muir (1830–1906) in 1867, the year of Canada's Confederation. Muir was said to have been inspired to write this song by a huge maple tree which stood on his property: Maple Cottage, a house at Memory Lane and Laing Street in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The song became quite popular in English Canada and for many years served as an unofficial national anthem. Because of its strongly British perspective, it became unpopular amongst French Canadians, and this prevented it from ever becoming an official anthem, even though it was seriously considered for that role.

OxOhk4Lk9aE

In days of yore, from Britain's shore,
Wolfe, the dauntless hero came,

And planted firm Britannia's flag,
On Canada's fair domain.
Here may it wave, our boast, our pride,
And joined in love together,
The thistle, shamrock, rose entwine

The Maple Leaf forever!

Chorus:
The Maple Leaf, our emblem dear,
The Maple Leaf forever!
God save our Queen, and Heaven bless,
The Maple Leaf forever!

At Queenston Heights and Lundy's Lane,
Our brave fathers, side by side,
For freedom, homes, and loved ones dear,
Firmly stood and nobly died;
And those dear rights which they maintained,
We swear to yield them never!
Our watchword evermore shall be,
The Maple Leaf forever!

Chorus

Our fair Dominion now extends
From Cape Race to Nootka Sound;
May peace forever be our lot,
And plenteous store abound:
And may those ties of love be ours
Which discord cannot sever,
And flourish green o'er freedom's home
The Maple Leaf forever!

Chorus

On merry England's far famed land
May kind heaven sweetly smile,
God bless old Scotland evermore
and Ireland's Em'rald Isle!
And swell the song both loud and long
Till rocks and forest quiver!
God save our Queen and Heaven bless
The Maple Leaf forever!

Chorus

OneEnglishNorman
Saturday, March 22nd, 2008, 11:36 AM
Looking at the lyrics, I can appreciate why French Canadians dislike that anthem, but at least it's unofficial.

Veritas ∆quitas
Saturday, March 22nd, 2008, 10:55 PM
That's the real Canadian anthem, and the Red Ensign is the real Canadian flag. We're just in the era of the Maple Leaf rag because we're pushing for a *New* identity as a refugee state with the B'Nai B'rith at the fore and the 'Canadian Human Rights Comission' doing it's dirty work.