PDA

View Full Version : Top 500 Heavy Metal Songs of All Time

Loki
Sunday, December 14th, 2003, 04:33 PM
I recently bought this pulication, "The Top 500 Heavy Metal Songs of All Time" by Martin Popoff. It is a compilation of opinions of 18,000 fans. The results are interesting. I will post a few stats:

TOP 40 HEAVY METAL SONGS:

1. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
2. Metallica - Master of Puppets
3. Motorhead - Ace of Spades
4. Osbourne, Ozzy - Crazy Train
5. Slayer - Angel of Death
6. Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast
7. Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name
8. Black Sabbath - War Pigs
9. AC/DC - Back in Black
10. Black Sabbath - Iron Man
11. Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell
12. Judas Priest - Painkiller
13. Metallica - One
14. Deep Purple - Highway Star
15. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
16. Megadeth - Holy Wars... The Punishment Due
17. Judas Priest - Victim of Changes
18. Judas Priest - Electric Eye
19. Guns N' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle
20. Slayer - Raining Blood
21. Metallica - Creeping Death
22. Metallica - Fade to Black
23. AC/DC - Highway to Hell
24. Iron Maiden - The Trooper
25. Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water
26. Accept - Balls to the Wall
27. Megadeth - Peace Sells
28. Iron Maiden - Run to the Hills
29. Judas Priest - You've Got Another Thing Comin'
30. Dio - Holy Diver
31. Metallica - For Whom The Bell Tolls
32. Motley Crue - Shout At The Devil
33. Accept - Fast as a Shark
34. Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
35. Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
36. Metallica - Enter Sandman
37. Rainbow - Stargazer
38. AC/DC - Hells Bells
39. Dio - The Last In Line
40. Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1550225308.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Loki
Sunday, December 14th, 2003, 04:39 PM
TOP 20 BANDS:

1. Black Sabbath
2. Metallica
3. Iron Maiden
4. Judas Priest
5. Slayer
6. AC/DC
7. Ozzy Osbourne
8. Deep Purple
9. Megadeth
10. Led Zeppelin
11. Motorhead
12. Pantera
13. Dio
14. Van Halen
15. Kiss
16. Accept
17. Guns N' Roses
18. Motley Crue
19. Rainbow
20. Sepultura

Phlegethon
Sunday, December 14th, 2003, 04:39 PM
I have all these songs on vinyl and/or CD. Ain't I cool?

Pomor
Sunday, December 14th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Metallica should be first, IMO.

Loki
Sunday, December 14th, 2003, 04:45 PM
TOP ALBUMS:

1. Highway to Hell
2. Paranoid
3. The Number of the Beast
4. Ride The Lightning
5. Master of Puppets
6. Reign in Blood
7. Blizzard of Ozz
8. Back in Black
9. Machine Head
10. Screaming for Vengeance
11. Ace of Spades
12. Rust in Peace
13. Heaven And Hell
14. Piece of Mind
15. Holy Diver

Loki
Sunday, December 14th, 2003, 04:46 PM

That is very cool indeed.

Stríbog
Sunday, December 14th, 2003, 04:58 PM
I think they picked the wrong Judas Priest songs.

My picks for top JP songs would be
Sinner
Stained Class
Devil's Child
You Got Another Thing Coming
Love Bites
Beyond the Realms of Death

And I kind of agree that Metallica should be #1, though it really is a tossup between Metallica and Black Sabbath.
I think Ride The Lightning is the best heavy metal album of all time.

Loki
Sunday, December 14th, 2003, 05:13 PM
I think they picked the wrong Judas Priest songs.

My picks for top JP songs would be
Sinner
Stained Class
Devil's Child
You Got Another Thing Coming
Love Bites
Beyond the Realms of Death

Here are the rankings for some of your JP favourites:

Sinner # 149
You Got Another Thing Comin' # 29
Love Bites # 405
Beyond the Realms of Death # 43

And I kind of agree that Metallica should be #1, though it really is a tossup between Metallica and Black Sabbath.
I think Ride The Lightning is the best heavy metal album of all time.

I am biased in favour of Black Sabbath, but maybe only because Ronnie James Dio's songs are included... :-)

It is interesting that the author's top 10 looks very different:

1. Aerosmith - Draw the Line
2. Deep Purple - Highway Star
3. Led Zeppelin - In My Time of Dying
4. Black Sabbath - The Writ
5. Queen - Liar
6. Dio - We Rock
7. Judas Priest - Tyrant
8. Led Zeppelin - The Rover
9. Black Sabbath - Megalomania
10. Aerosmith - Sick as a Dog

He admitted to having more of a taste for the older, less "heavy" songs.

Stríbog
Sunday, December 14th, 2003, 05:15 PM
He likes the same Black Sabbath songs that I do.

My favs are Wheels of Confusion, Megalomania, The Writ, Paranoid, Black Sabbath.

Ederico
Sunday, December 14th, 2003, 05:53 PM
Metallica should be first, IMO.

No No No No No, Megadeth should be first, IMO. *Puts on Rust In Peace.

Stríbog
Sunday, December 14th, 2003, 06:09 PM
No No No No No, Megadeth should be first, IMO. *Puts on Rust In Peace.

LOL dude Megadeth only had one decent album, and that was Peace Sells. Why do you think Metallica kicked Mustaine out of the band?

Pomor
Sunday, December 14th, 2003, 06:53 PM
I don't think there is any other metal band that would outmatch Metallica in the complexity and spirituality and strength of music, I mean old Metallica, of course. Take Fade To Black or The Call Of Ktulu, for example. I don't know what happened to them, it looks like their old and new albums were composed by completely different people, usually people get wiser with time, but not in their case.

Ederico
Sunday, December 14th, 2003, 07:09 PM
LOL dude Megadeth only had one decent album, and that was Peace Sells. Why do you think Metallica kicked Mustaine out of the band?

Are you kidding???????????????????????????? All of Megadeth's albums kick ass except Risk. Peace Sells is definitely an awesome album, certainly Rust In Peace and Countdown To Extinction are marvellous and the other albums are great as well with the minor ones being Cryptic Writings and definitely Risk. Too bad Megadeth is no more.

+Suomut+
Sunday, December 14th, 2003, 10:30 PM
I like OLD Sabbath too. Tony Iommi put out one post-Ozzy Sabbath album (forget the name) that was steeped in 'Nordic' mythology. I used to have that one.

Evolved
Sunday, December 21st, 2003, 09:08 AM
TOP 40 HEAVY METAL SONGS:

I'm going to download them all. I'm a bit 'rapped out'. I have fond memories of listening to my sister's metal records and tapes in the 80's. She was in love with Nikki Sixx, hehe. I got in trouble for sketching my little childish version of this album cover:

http://cc.ysu.edu/~ramcewin/motleycrue.gif

My mother didn't like the pentagram, hehe. http://www.skadi.net/~ladygoeth/smilies/evil.gif

Gotta get back to my roots. http://www.forums.skadi.net/images/icons/icon12.gif

Mac Seafraidh
Sunday, December 21st, 2003, 09:55 PM
I do not agree with the Top 500 Metal list, but we all have our own opinions in music. I do not mind some of the bands on it. Ozzy was cool before he met Sharon. Sharon also has Jewish ancestry and is annoying as well as she and her husband's children. They suck at life and are wastes of space.

Loki
Sunday, December 21st, 2003, 10:22 PM
I do not agree with the Top 500 Metal list, but we all have our own opinions in music. I do not mind some of the bands on it. Ozzy was cool before he met Sharon. Sharon also has Jewish ancestry and is annoying as well as she and her husband's children. They suck at life and are wastes of space.

I'm not such a big Ozzy fan... I prefer the voice of Ronnie James Dio in Sabbath (yeah I know that is sacrilegious, LOL).

Gladstone
Sunday, December 21st, 2003, 11:04 PM
They suck at life and are wastes of space.

Ozzy would probably take that as a compliment!;-)

The Blond Beast
Monday, December 22nd, 2003, 12:35 AM
TOP 20 BANDS:

1. Black Sabbath
2. Metallica
3. Iron Maiden
4. Judas Priest
5. Slayer
6. AC/DC
7. Ozzy Osbourne
8. Deep Purple
9. Megadeth
10. Led Zeppelin
11. Motorhead
12. Pantera
13. Dio
14. Van Halen
15. Kiss
16. Accept
17. Guns N' Roses
18. Motley Crue
19. Rainbow
20. Sepultura

It is certainly good to see Slayer and Pantera on this list.

The Blond Beast
Monday, December 22nd, 2003, 12:59 AM
I assume you are referring to "Tyr" (1993) which was de facto an Iommi solo album nevertheless published under the name "Black Sabbath"

The "Norse" songs were "Valhalla", "Odin's Court" and "The Battle of Tyr".

Geezer Butler was always the linchpin of Black Sabbath. He (and to a lesser extent Iommi) was responsible for every piece of creativity; Ozzy was just a befuddled bum who could barely remember the lyrics they had written for him.

Geezer's first solo effort - G/Z/R, Plastic Planet - with Burton C. Bell on vocals (Fear Factory) is absolutley awesome.

Phlegethon
Monday, December 22nd, 2003, 02:06 AM
Ozzy was just a befuddled bum who could barely remember the lyrics they had written for him.
Nah, he could play the harmonica quite well on "The Wizard". Too bad most of his talents fell victim to his drug excesses.

And don't forget Bill Ward and his solo projects. Wihtout Bill Ward Sabbath would not have been Sabbath. Heck, even Cozy Powell could not really replace him later on.

Awar
Monday, December 22nd, 2003, 02:55 AM
Truly legendary:

1. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
3. Motorhead - Ace of Spades
8. Black Sabbath - War Pigs
13. Metallica - One
14. Deep Purple - Highway Star
15. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
19. Guns N' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle
25. Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water
28. Iron Maiden - Run to the Hills
34. Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
35. Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven

Stríbog
Monday, December 22nd, 2003, 04:25 AM
I do like Mötley Crüe, but they aren't really metal, they are more of the 80's hair band - glam rock phenom, along with Poison, Ratt, Twisted Sister, etc.

Awar
Monday, December 22nd, 2003, 04:50 AM
I don't consider AC/DC to be metal, they're more like Little Richard on amphetamines :-)

Stríbog
Monday, December 22nd, 2003, 07:18 AM
I don't consider AC/DC to be metal, they're more like Little Richard on amphetamines :-)

True enough. However, I happen to like both AC/DC and Little Richard. :-D

The Blond Beast
Monday, December 22nd, 2003, 08:12 AM

I read, I believe on Slayerized.com, a rumor (unconfirmed, naturally) that US forces used Slayer tunes to scare Iraqi forces in 1991.

If it were true, it would certainly be fitting, considering the bulk of Slayer's fan mail is from Servicemen.

Awar
Monday, December 22nd, 2003, 11:10 AM
I'm not surprised, anyone can scare me with Arabian music :-)

Mac Seafraidh
Monday, December 22nd, 2003, 04:10 PM
Nsbm Über Alles. Nsbm Als Besser Dann Bm -/- I Also Want To Mention For That Top Heavy Metal List. Where Is Blue Oyster Cult? Surely They Beat Panterrible And Fileter. I Will Not Mention Every Band On The List I Dislike Those Were Just Some Examples.

Evolved
Monday, December 22nd, 2003, 04:26 PM
I do like Mötley Crüe, but they aren't really metal, they are more of the 80's hair band - glam rock phenom, along with Poison, Ratt, Twisted Sister, etc.

What do Soviet Slavophiles know about metal anyway? ;-P http://www.skadi.net/~ladygoeth/smilies/wife.gif

Mac Seafraidh
Monday, December 22nd, 2003, 04:59 PM
Russke Nsbm -/-

The Blond Beast
Monday, December 22nd, 2003, 07:57 PM
Nsbm Über Alles. Nsbm Als Besser Dann Bm -/- I Also Want To Mention For That Top Heavy Metal List. Where Is Blue Oyster Cult? Surely They Beat Panterrible And Fileter. I Will Not Mention Every Band On The List I Dislike Those Were Just Some Examples.

Panterrible?

Some claim Vulgar Display of Power was an Exhorder rip-off, but having heard Exhorder, I disagree.

Ewergrin
Monday, December 22nd, 2003, 09:46 PM
Panterrible?

Some claim Vulgar Display of Power was an Exhorder rip-off, but having heard Exhorder, I disagree.

Depends on the Exhorder album. Slaughter in the Vatican is a thrash metal masterpeice, and is highly sought after and underappreciated. The Law was decent, but certainly no one can deny the influence that The Law had on Panteras post-Power Metal albums. I discussed this issue with Kyle Thomas himself and he was of the same opinion.

torrent
Saturday, December 27th, 2003, 11:49 AM
URL http://www.leatherwolfmusic.com/discmp3/TheWayIFeel.mp3
URL http://www.leatherwolfmusic.com/discmp3/Thunder.mp3
URL http://www.leatherwolfmusic.com/discmp3/TheCalling.mp3
i think they should be at least 501th, 502th. i think their best song is "cry out" but i could not find its mp3.

Phlegethon
Wednesday, December 31st, 2003, 11:39 AM
i think their best song is "cry out" but i could not find its mp3.
Leatherwolf? I have that CD somewhere in my big "to be auctioned on Ebay" box. Do you want it?

Phlegethon
Wednesday, December 31st, 2003, 02:17 PM
In my opinion Metallica certainly does not belong among the top 50 bands. Musically Megadeth were a whole lot better, at least until "Peace Sells..". Their by far best album was "Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good" with the exceptional Chris Poland on lead guitar. Marty Friedman's solo albums are excellent as well, just like the old songs he recorded for Hawaii, but in Megadeth he was far from convincing.

Bands I think belong among the top 50 are Savage Grace ("After The Fall From Grace"), Griffin ("Flight Of The Griffin"), Helstar ("Nosferatu"), Mercyful Fate/King Diamond ("Melissa", "Abigail"), Cryptic Slaughter ("Money Talks"), Dead Kennedys (OK, not exactly heavy metal, but classic), Savatage ("Hall Of The Mountain King"), Agent Steel ("Skeptics Apocalypse"), Abattoir ("Stronger Than Evil", Exodus ("Bonded By Blood", and, last but not least Exciter ("Violence And Force").

torrent
Thursday, January 1st, 2004, 01:00 PM
Leatherwolf? I have that CD somewhere in my big "to be auctioned on Ebay" box. Do you want it?
i have it on tape i had just meant i could not find it to send but why not, and do you have asphalt ballet and what is the deal?

Awar
Friday, January 2nd, 2004, 06:07 AM
I have about 5-6 metallica mp3's and that's everything of worth from their entire opus.

The Blond Beast
Friday, January 2nd, 2004, 06:59 AM
Bands I think belong among the top 50 are Savage Grace ("After The Fall From Grace"), Griffin ("Flight Of The Griffin"), Helstar ("Nosferatu"), Mercyful Fate/King Diamond ("Melissa", "Abigail"), Cryptic Slaughter ("Money Talks"), Dead Kennedys (OK, not exactly heavy metal, but classic), Savatage ("Hall Of The Mountain King"), Agent Steel ("Skeptics Apocalypse"), Abattoir ("Stronger Than Evil", Exodus ("Bonded By Blood", and, last but not least Exciter ("Violence And Force").

Mercyful Fate? You're mad man...

Euclides
Friday, January 2nd, 2004, 07:40 AM
TOP 20 BANDS:

1. Black Sabbath
2. Metallica
3. Iron Maiden
4. Judas Priest
5. Slayer
6. AC/DC
7. Ozzy Osbourne
8. Deep Purple
9. Megadeth
10. Led Zeppelin
11. Motorhead
12. Pantera
13. Dio
14. Van Halen
15. Kiss
16. Accept
17. Guns N' Roses
18. Motley Crue
19. Rainbow
20. Sepultura

and how about dimmu borgir?

Ewergrin
Saturday, January 3rd, 2004, 03:10 PM
and how about dimmu borgir?

Is that a joke?

Phlegethon
Saturday, January 3rd, 2004, 03:28 PM
Is that a joke?
Yep, one of the best - along with Cradle Of Filth.

Phlegethon
Saturday, January 3rd, 2004, 03:35 PM
Mercyful Fate? You're mad man...
Maybe - but is that an insult or a compliment? ;)

King Diamond and Mercyful Fate started a whole new genre in 1982, well before all these Norwegian warpaint combos of today. And unlike most BM bands they actually could play their instruments, not only in the studio but live. Just listen to the one-take recordings of the John Peel sessions on "In The Beginning".

torrent
Saturday, January 3rd, 2004, 08:47 PM
In my opinion Metallica certainly does not belong among the top 50 bands. Musically Megadeth were a whole lot better, at least until "Peace Sells..". Their by far best album was "Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good" with the exceptional Chris Poland on lead guitar. Marty Friedman's solo albums are excellent as well, just like the old songs he recorded for Hawaii, but in Megadeth he was far from convincing.

i definitely agree with you as putting megadeth in the first grade, chris poland had some jazzic tunes but especially his solo in "in my darkest hour" is veird, it is just that the song is good. before peace sells megadeth is punky but peace sells is real megadeth and it is funky (mustaines hero is jimmy page)
definitely their highest point Rust in peace after then mustaine has matured and his opinions changed he said more melody, less show off, even instaed of playing as fast as it can be, thinking about the melody is better.
"boycott music that looks good" will end in experimental projects like mekong delta, though i do like that album. when seventh son came people all said synths? it sucks but synthesizer is not that bad it enlarges the vision for example compare hall of the mountain king with gutter ballet or streets or even edge of thorns. edge of thorn is musically excellent but unfortunately jon did not sing.
again if "them" is not their best album their best is really" the eye".

The Blond Beast
Sunday, January 4th, 2004, 04:39 AM
Maybe - but is that an insult or a compliment? ;)

King Diamond and Mercyful Fate started a whole new genre in 1982, well before all these Norwegian warpaint combos of today. And unlike most BM bands they actually could play their instruments, not only in the studio but live. Just listen to the one-take recordings of the John Peel sessions on "In The Beginning".

I can't stand Black Metal, whether it be King Diamond/Mercyful Fate or Dimmu Borgir. It seems to be of little substance; merely there to provoke a reaction. Certainly not unlike Marilyn Manson or Slipknot of today.

Phlegethon
Sunday, January 4th, 2004, 11:28 AM
I can't stand Black Metal, whether it be King Diamond/Mercyful Fate
Mercyful Fate and King Diamond are absolutely no black metal. Dimmu Borgir are just overrated posers.

Mac Seafraidh
Sunday, January 4th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Well I wouldn't consider Dimmu or COF BM. I call them Ravercore BM. I am not too much into regular Black Metal anymore just the old school stuff as well as DM. I hardly or barely listen to DM. I listen to mostly NSBM. NS has a wider verizon of sub-genres blended into the BM . I hate going into chat rooms and people start naming the fakest bands alive. Mainstreamity is crap. All commercialized metal fails pretty much. The only good popular music is classical and classic rock. I do like one band from the Seattle era of bands which might sound weird. I like Alice in Chains/Mad Season.

The Blond Beast
Sunday, January 4th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Mercyful Fate and King Diamond are absolutely no black metal. Dimmu Borgir are just overrated posers.

Well, any middle-aged man who runs around with an inverted cross painted on his forehead is just as shameful.

If MF is not Black Metal, what would you consider it then?

The lyrics certainly have the appropriate character, but I guess the vocalist simply couldn't pull off the dry-lung to sound intimidating enough.

Phlegethon
Monday, January 5th, 2004, 01:21 AM
Well, any middle-aged man who runs around with an inverted cross painted on his forehead is just as shameful. Well, King Diamond was the first one to use that facepaint in heavy metal. Kiss fall into the hard rock category, but both were playing theater on stage. Kiss went the commercial way, while King Diamond and Mercyful Fate were by far superior musically.

If MF is not Black Metal, what would you consider it then? It is simply heavy metal, clearly influenced by tradiional rock and roll. Musically it could not be much more different from black metal. Alice Cooper and Screaming Jay Hawkins weren't black metal either - they simply used spooky imagery. Iron Maiden used Eddie for about a decade, W.A.S.P. had a stage show that involved lots of artificial blood, pig livers and semi-nude girls getting whipped, then there are bands like GWAR who also wear costumes. The latter are clearly an arts project.

King Diamond shows are simply great entertainment. They make you ignore the cheesy lyrics, faulty storylines and the far from perfect English.

The lyrics certainly have the appropriate character, but I guess the vocalist simply couldn't pull off the dry-lung to sound intimidating enough. King Diamond uses a lot of irony and is basically a funny guy. Hardly the sociopathic misanthropic (pseudo-]Norwegian black metaller with corpsepaint and fake blood that seemingly has become the new norm by now.

The Blond Beast
Monday, January 5th, 2004, 02:35 AM
Alice Cooper and Screaming Jay Hawkins weren't black metal either - they simply used spooky imagery.

I suppose that's the distinction I have missed: attempting to be spooky as opposed to attempting to appear genuinely disturbed.

Mistress Klaus
Friday, January 16th, 2004, 07:36 PM

I was just about to say the same thing! he he he.. I still like my old metal.

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Tuesday, December 13th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Great discussion about Mercyful Fate vs new death/black metal. I think most people are done tired with the Metallica vs Megadeth stuff. I'd rather compare both against Anthrax and Slayer with satisfaction. I'm surprised nobody mentioned Entombed though, since they actually did very well with Left Hand Path, and Satyricon is cool too. Meshuggah though, seems to have pioneered a new field in metal all by themselves.

Van Wellenkamp
Wednesday, December 14th, 2011, 03:21 AM
It seems only fair that to metion Metallica we should mention the bands that influenced them. When I first saw them in 1983 I could have sworn they were a Diamond Head cover band minus a couple of their own original songs. I do have a profound respect for them, and feel that their first three albums were by far their best. Btw Merciful Fate is awsome. It would seem that Metallica does some older bands music better than they performed it themselves.

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Sunday, May 27th, 2018, 03:35 AM
It's funny how some people think that the only "real" metal is from Scandinavia and has to be Death or Black, neither of which originated there. Venom started Black and Power actually was Metallica's style of music, Death being from Megadeth. Anthrax began Thrash.