PDA

View Full Version : Hearing Voices?

Northerner
Thursday, September 7th, 2006, 04:59 AM
Do you or have you ever heard voices when no one is there? Not only do quite a number of folks hear voices, a recent study reveals that many people who do find the experience beneficial and helpful.

Here is an excerpt from a recent article (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/category/story.cfm?c_id=204&objectid=10399938):
Hearing voices when no one is there can be a symptom of mental illness, yet a study of the phenomenon found nearly half the people who heard voices said their hallucinations were mostly friendly or helpful.

Furthermore, some participants in the Auckland University study considered their voices a blessing - although others thought them a curse.

Hearing voices tends to be more accepted in some indigenous cultures than in modern Western society - but it still finds a place, even at top levels.

Anglo-Canadian
Thursday, September 7th, 2006, 07:43 AM
On the West Coast of Canada, the indiginous native peoples believe in the reality of this phenomena, as epitomized in the biographical story of the minister to one of their remote villages, "I Heard the Owl Call My Name". I have encountered different people claiming, (often complaining), that they hear voices. While I believe this can be caused by mental illness, I also countenance the possibility that it can be caused by the spirit world, in which I believe. Have I experienced this personally? No.