PDA

View Full Version : Sweets, Sugar and Bone Growth ?

Ragnar Thorsson
Thursday, August 10th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Ok is this is the 3th thread which I open in like 2 days. I have many ideas and thoughts which I really feel like to share with you.

I was talking with my mum about 'Humand beings and growing'

She told me that there was a Japanese scientist who did some research on rabbits. He gave some rabbits 'normal food' and some sweets and sugar to other rabbits. After a while he tried to find out the differents between these rabbits.
Conclusion:
Normal Rabbits: Nothing much happend.
Sugar Rabbits: Their bones became larger (longer) but kinda weaker.

He did this test because the youth (especially the European youth) is becoming taller and taller. So I personally think that there is a agreement between eating candy and becoming taller.

For example, my brother is taller than me. He is around 1.90 and I am around 1.80. ( I am still growing though, but I am not gonna reach the 1.90 ) But when he was younger he was always eating candy, sweets, and products with sugar. I am not that kind of person who use to eat candy and stuff. That might be the reason that I am not as tall as him.

This is a theorie based on scientistic facts. Now is my question, did you heard anything about this? Do you think this is possible?

Ragnar

Thalia
Thursday, August 10th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Well, I've eaten a lot of sweets in my life (:() and I'm only 1.60 m. My brothers are between 1.80 and 1.85 m I guess. So I can't imagine that the height has to do with the consume of sugar. But it would be nice if someone could provide us with some facts.

Sorry for my English

Tabitha
Thursday, August 10th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Well we Scots are the most sweet toothed in Europe ( and have the worst diet all round) and we're pretty small on the whole,if it were true we'd be giants.
I've had an appalling sugar laden diet for all of my 32 years and I'm 5ft 4.
I'd live happily on a diet of sugar and sweets, actually make that "I do." :D

Ragnar Thorsson
Thursday, August 10th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Sorry, I tried to find the facts on the internet but I can't find them.
This theorie isn't meant for every individual. It's a general theorie. Some people might get larger bones by eating candy. Some people just don't. There might be a chance that Hallstatt people have more chance to get this then for example Cromagnoids, simply because CM have stronger bones and are more developed.

It's still a theorie, not really a fact. But it would be nice to discuss about this somehow.

Thalia
Thursday, August 10th, 2006, 03:05 PM
This theorie isn't meant for every individual. It's a general theorie. Some people might get larger bones by eating candy. Some people just don't.

I wish I'd belong to the "chosen" ones :(
Maybe I should eat much more sweets :D

Ragnar Thorsson
Thursday, August 10th, 2006, 03:16 PM
I wish I'd belong to the "chosen" ones :(
Maybe I should eat much more sweets :D
I'd say, eat Fish, and corns. And sleep early, around 22:00 till 7:00 in the morning. No idea how old you are, but it's worth it.

goldgrube
Thursday, August 10th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Ok is this is the 3th thread which I open in like 2 days. I have many ideas and thoughts which I really feel like to share with you.

I was talking with my mum about 'Humand beings and growing'

She told me that there was a Japanese scientist who did some research on rabbits. He gave some rabbits 'normal food' and some sweets and sugar to other rabbits. After a while he tried to find out the differents between these rabbits.
Conclusion:
Normal Rabbits: Nothing much happend.
Sugar Rabbits: Their bones became larger (longer) but kinda weaker.

He did this test because the youth (especially the European youth) is becoming taller and taller. So I personally think that there is a agreement between eating candy and becoming taller.

For example, my brother is taller than me. He is around 1.90 and I am around 1.80. ( I am still growing though, but I am not gonna reach the 1.90 ) But when he was younger he was always eating candy, sweets, and products with sugar. I am not that kind of person who use to eat candy and stuff. That might be the reason that I am not as tall as him.

This is a theorie based on scientistic facts. Now is my question, did you heard anything about this? Do you think this is possible?

Ragnar

The other rabbits must have been eating something else beside sugar. Bone grows by layering cartilage (=proteins) in the growth plates, so basically proteins is the key to growth. With time the cartilage becomes calcified bone. Proteins can either be digested to energy or used as building material in your body. Having a surplus of calories (candy and sugar) leaves you with more proteins, and thus more proteins is used to grow longer bones. I would suspect that some of the candy could contain smaller amounts of protein, but probably no calcium, which explains weaker bones.

Btw, its a known fact that fat people are on average taller than fit ones.

goldgrube
Thursday, August 10th, 2006, 06:06 PM
He did this test because the youth (especially the European youth) is becoming taller and taller. r

Norwegian and Swedish youth has stopped "growing" around beginning of the 80's. The average has been 180 cm for 20 years now.

Ragnar Thorsson
Thursday, August 10th, 2006, 07:37 PM
And here in Holland everyone is becoming taller and taller, all my friends are above the 1.90. :-O

goldgrube
Thursday, August 10th, 2006, 07:47 PM
The Average in Holland has been 183 cm for the last 10 years