PDA

View Full Version : The Drugging of Our Kids

Kaotiksoul6sic6
Friday, August 30th, 2002, 11:49 PM
I think this is a very good article i like how she thinks about all the ritalin that is put into the kids nowadays i see kids who have to take ritalin because their parents think they are "bad kids" but i blame it on the parent why cant they just put some discipline into the kid instead of making it into a walking vegetable

Drugging our Kids by Patricia C. Behnke
All of a sudden the use of Ritalin among our children is getting some press. But it’s not the type of press I had envisioned when I taught high school.

It seems that Connecticut has just passed a law that prohibits teachers and administrators from mentioning the use of prescription drugs to control students. This new legislation puzzled me. I did further investigation and discovered that the common belief among the medical profession and mental health officials is that teachers are guilty of putting the idea of medication into the heads of parents. Maybe this is the case at the elementary level in order to control classes of 35 or more students. But whose fault is that? Reducing class sizes would be a healthier solution. My experiences have shown that parents and doctors are much too eager to prescribe the medication for students to give them the extra edge needed to compete with the top students in the school. One year, I taught an advanced class of twenty students, six of whom were taking Ritalin. Phenomenal numbers, I thought. But this percentage is close to the national average. At my school’s parent night, a mother of one of my students approached me. “How’s my son doing? You know his ADHD diagnosis is impulse control problems.” “Well, we’re doing fine. When he gets ready to make one of his impulsive comments, I give him one of my looks, and then he stops. We’ve developed a strategy that seems to be working.” “That’s great. You just let me know and if that stops working, I’ll. . .” Let me stop here. At this precise moment the thought went through my head: “Great a parent who will support me and help me work through the behavioral part of her son’s problem.” No, such luck, I found, as she continued. “. . .make sure he starts taking another Ritalin right before your class.” Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), whose symptoms include distractibility, short attention span, hyperactivity, and implusivity, is often treated by the stimulant Ritalin. It is not quite understood why giving an anphetimine to a hyperactive child has the opposite effect, but it does in some cases. Part of the problem comes when ADHD is misdiagnosed. Many doctors caution that Ritalin should not be prescribed if other sytmptoms of behavioral disorders are present in the child. If prescribed incorrectly, the symptoms from the drugs can be far worse than the original symptoms. And according to Dr. Peter R. Breggin, Director of the International Center for the Study of Psychiatry and Psychology, many of our children are taking three to five different psychiatric drugs as a result of their diagnosis of being ADHD. This over medication of our youth can cause psychotic episodes which in turn get blamed on many other factors besides the medication. Has anyone done a study yet on how many of the school shooters were on psychiatric medications? It might be worth the exploration. But most of all, the ones getting blamed are the children themselves. Responsibility for their actions are placed on their heads, but blame for the state they have found themselves in seems to have been neglected. In 1998, 11.4 million prescriptions for Ritalin were written in the United States. According to IMS America, a health care information company, our country now uses five times as much Ritalin as the rest of the world. One time I had a student who was having problems at both home and school, not an unusual situation for a sixteen year old. I had tried working with both parents and child as had other teachers. One factor that I felt contributed to this student’s problems was her placement in a class too advanced for her abilities and motivations. Her parents were insulted that I even suggested that possibility. After all they were professionals themselves, and a child of theirs would never be in any class but an advanced one. Yet the student kept telling me that she didn’t understand concepts, couldn’t concentrate on the vast amounts of reading material, and didn’t enjoy the writing required of an advanced English class. This particular course must be rigorous because successful completion of a test at the end of the year can earn students college English credit. Ten days before the test the parent came to me worried about her child’s ability to take the advanced placement exam. “Do you think I should put her on Ritalin?” “Has she been on Ritalin before?” “No, but her brother is, and it’s done wonders for him. I know our doctor would give it to her just to get her through the test.” “I don’t think that’s a good idea,” I responded. “Oh, why? It might make her tired?” “No, you don’t even know if she needs it or not. She could have an adverse reaction.” “Well, I’m going to talk to the doctor anyway.” Yes, it’s about time that we started making legislation against those terrible teachers who want to drug our children. After all we need someone to blame when things go wrong. Nancy Reagan, how do we tell them to just SAY NO?

einsatzkommando
Saturday, August 31st, 2002, 09:44 AM
There's alot more to the problem than just bad parenting. It is not surprising that sheeple look for an easy answer when the real answers require more than a quick pill.

einsatzkommando
Saturday, August 31st, 2002, 09:52 AM
http://www.themercury.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,5006568%255E421,00.html

ADD 'not a real condition'
By Joel Dullroy
31aug02
THE legitimacy of Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder as a medical condition is questioned in a new report.

The report, commissioned by the Youth Affairs Network of Queensland, has called for a moratorium on and inquiry into the use of the amphetamine-based drugs Ritalin and Dexamphetamine to treat ADHD – diagnosed in thousands of Australian children.

Labelling the disorder a "questionable diagnosis", the report, Queensland Children at Risk: The Overdiagnosis of 'ADHD' and the Overuse of Stimulant Medication, urges parents to abandon the drugs, originally used to treat psychiatric conditions such as narcolepsy and severe depression.

A recent study found prescription rates of ADHD drugs in Australia to be almost double that of the UK and higher than in the US.

Kaotiksoul6sic6
Saturday, August 31st, 2002, 02:15 PM
i think medical drugs aren truly needed at all everything can be overcome with mind over matter type stuff i mean look at mideval times they didnt have no ritalin what did they do with theyr hyper people o yea send them into battle so drugs arent really needed its just something to make money on

Jack
Sunday, September 1st, 2002, 07:14 AM
No one gives a shit about the kids anymore. They throw money at problems and think its gonna go away. War on drugs, war on suicide, soon enough the wars gonna turn the other way and the gutters will flow with the blood of these moral bougesois...

Vindefense
Monday, February 16th, 2009, 12:53 PM
January 29, 2009 — Clinicians, patients, and parents should be aware that psychotic symptoms or mania arising in children treated with standard, approved drugs for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) may constitute an adverse drug reaction and not necessarily an additional psychiatric disorder, Food and Drug Administration (FDA) research suggests.

An analysis of 49 randomized controlled clinical trials as well as postmarketing surveillance data on ADHD drugs shows some children, including those with no identifiable risk factors, developed drug-related symptoms of psychosis or mania, including hallucinations, at usual doses.

"These drugs seem capable of producing this type of adverse psychiatric reaction. If a child receiving one of these medications were to develop such symptoms, strong consideration should be given to the idea that it could be a reaction to the medication rather than a separate psychiatric disorder in and of itself," principal investigator Andrew D. Mosholder, MD, from the US FDA, in Silver Spring, Maryland, told Medscape Psychiatry.

The analysis revealed that a total of 11 psychosis/mania adverse events occurred during 743 person-years of double-blind treatment of ADHD medications. Although the number of cases was small, the investigators point out there were no such events reported in 420 person-years of placebo exposure in the same trials. Dr. Mosholder added that such adverse events can occur across the board with all currently approved ADHD medications.

The study is published in the February issue of Pediatrics.

Tip of the Iceberg?

Further, investigators say that the reported incidence in the analysis may represent only the tip of the iceberg. Clinical-trial subjects undergo careful selection to ensure high likelihood of treatment success and a low probability of intolerance to these medications — a situation that does not generally reflect everyday clinical practice. Therefore, they point out, the findings likely underestimate the incidence of such adverse effects in the general population.

"One of the things we would like to call attention to is that such reactions are probably not rare. The other point is that these drugs are increasingly being used in younger children who, if they do experience hallucinations, may have difficulty understanding what's happening to them or describing it to an adult. So, if a child says 'I don't want to go to bed because it is covered with ants,' there should be consideration given that this may be an adverse drug reaction," study coauthor Kate Gelperin, MD, also from the FDA, told Medscape Psychiatry.

Read rest of article: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/587526

ChaosLord
Friday, February 20th, 2009, 02:20 AM
I tend to stray from pharmaceuticals since they're usually nothing more than chemical concoctions they give to us to be guinea pigs with.

Linnea
Friday, January 8th, 2010, 12:47 AM
It is a difficult decision to put your child on medication. Therapy is extremly difficult for those with attention disorders. Sometimes medication is the best way to go.

rainman
Friday, January 8th, 2010, 08:08 PM
I went to kindergarten in a poor area. The teacher always said I did great. One day I pushed my way in line and the principle was having a bad day so he yanked me up and called my mom. They lied and said I had been acting out the whole time. When asked why the teacher kept saying I was doing great they said they lied (???). I was "diagnosed" as hyper active without ever seeing a doctor, submitting to a medical examine, never answered any questions of any sort. Here's how it works "is your child acting out" "Yes" "okay he/she has ADD". It obiously isn't a legitimate medical problem.

Mainly its dispensed like candy to the poor. I'd say roughly 80% of children were given riddilin in the elementary schools I went to. From what I understand today it's closer to 100% in poor areas. I wonder if riddilin decreases fertility. It could be a reason for its use. I find it a bit odd that a magickal disease only afflicts poor people. Maybe it's a good thing though from our point of view. Yet the poor still have 10 babies a piece and are subsidized by welfare for it so I guess it can't be that.

It's the same thing for the middle aged and elderly. There are sham "diseases" that are used to give them drugs. Look up firbo mialgia. I'm not sure if its spelled right. Basically it's a disease where nothing is wrong with you, there is no way to diagnose it other than you say you are in chronic pain and they give you pills for it. The commys of the 60s weren't making enough progress with illegal drugs so now they are finding ways to convince people that they "need" to be stoned all the time. The more whacked out and zombie like the population is the more they accept liberalism, slavery and other social changes of our era.

ChaosLord
Monday, January 11th, 2010, 01:28 AM
Drugs are just the beginning, unfortunately. Additives to foods are also a problem in the role of development and growth. Artificial sweeteners put in certain foods and soft drinks may also pose health problems. One example is aspartame, a synthesized artificial sweetener. It's manufactured from genetically modified e. coli and other substitutes and when it's metabolized in the body it breaks down into formaldehyde and methanol alcohol. You may hear that the levels of aspartame in foods will not hurt you, which in a sense is true, but formaldehyde in the body isn't metabolized or purged very quickly and can be bioaccumulated.

Sigurd
Monday, January 11th, 2010, 09:18 AM
It is a difficult decision to put your child on medication. Therapy is extremly difficult for those with attention disorders. Sometimes medication is the best way to go.

Except that psychiatrists and psychologists are way too eager to diagnose ADHD. Near enough 90% of youngsters with whom Ritalin doesn't work have another "condition", notably Asperger's, which is also my "issue". Of course, I was also fed Ritalin along the way, without effect, by psychiatrists/psychologists without a clue.

The dangerous thing is that Ritalin is a highly addictive substance for people who don't need it. I was lucky enough that when they figured after they handed me 3 1/2 (!) tablets per day that it was no good, that I was allowed to stay off the drug. Others just get medicated with other medication or even higher doses. I knew a boy who was addicted to Ritalin at age 12.

Almost as bad as the mis-diagnosis of ADHD was the mis-diagnosis of Tourette's Syndrome (AKA Maladie de Tics). Some eager young psychologist decided that my knack for doing things in a certain routine was obviously a point of Tics. When therapy for a disorder I did not have wasn't working, a neurologist gave me tougher medication to keep me calm.

That tougher medication kept me overly calm. Because I didn't need it (on the basis of being misdiagnosed, duh!) it attacked other systems, notably my reaction time. I had to cease to be football school goalkeeper for a while, because it slowed my reaction time so much that I only noticed the striker had the ball when it was already in the net! No kidding. :oanieyes

I suppose I was reasonably lucky, because I know other people who were fed much more non-working medication on false diagnoses. One was fed a Ritalin-related drug at such a dose that he walked around with a stiff neck held in a position much akin to the people on Ancient Egyptian drawings. It stopped when they got him off that drug.

Still, I have seen first hand what can happen if psychologists/psychiatrists are eager to make money on medication of companies in which they own stocks. They just give you a false diagnosis. Correct diagnosis would have been Asperger's, the "neurological affliction" of which people like W.A. Mozart, Albert Einstein or Leonardo Da Vinci are thought to have suffered and which is barely noticeable once you turn about 20. But of course there's no medication to gain money on for that, so why make the correct diagnosis?! :thumbdown

That it took a psychiatrist who was a family friend (and thus not interested in making money and fame off a young boy!) and old university acquaintance of my grandfather's to spell forth the correct diagnosis should be quite telling about how crooked the business is (even more crooked than the business they make on antibiotics and anti-depressants - but that's an issue for another thread ;)) that they are making off "misbehaved", but oft highly intelligent, children. :|

Moral of the story: Whatever studies you allow to be conducted on your kids' head, make sure you know the doctor for some 40-odd years, because otherwise he/she will be onto shady business and human experiments.

Linnea
Monday, January 11th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Except that psychiatrists and psychologists are way too eager to diagnose ADHD. Near enough 90% of youngsters with whom Ritalin doesn't work have another "condition", notably Asperger's, which is also my "issue". Of course, I was also fed Ritalin along the way, without effect, by psychiatrists/psychologists without a clue.

Ha! Psychiatrists don't know what they're doing; especially, when it comes to ADD/ADHD. They'll just give you whatever without a proper diagnosis. There are doctors that work specifically with ADD/ADHD, like a neurologist. There are also alternatives to Ritalin; such as, Conserta.

ironwand
Tuesday, May 8th, 2012, 12:09 PM
On 7 May 2012, Liberal Democrat MP Tessa Munt, was quoted thus by The Daily Mail:

It is extremely alarming that in the decade up to 2010, prescriptions for Ritalin quadrupled. Statistics show that 90 per cent of prescriptions for this powerful drug in 2004 were used to combat behavioural problems in school-age children. I am shocked that there has been such a huge explosion in use…

We hear teachers tell of their students’ lack of ability to concentrate, from police about increasingly disruptive and anti-social behaviour, and from parents unable to control the actions of young family members… Resorting to powerful drugs only stores up trouble for the future.

The Mail added:

A report commissioned by the RSPB that found activities in a natural environment appear to improve ADHD symptoms compared with playing indoors and playing outdoors in an urban area. But Mrs Munt said too many youngsters were prevented from enjoying the outdoors due to a lack of school playing fields and the lure of video games and social networking.

The “school playing fields” and the “activities in a natural environment” issues were settled decades ago. The drugging-up, dumbing-down and robotification of our children continue apace.

Point a robot in particular direction and that’s where it will go. Those who construct such robots invariably send them to the Left.

Jean Gross, the Government’s former speech and language tsar, said a special needs diagnosis can be ‘used as an explanation for failure’ by schools.

One-third of nine and 10-year-old boys have special educational needs. It’s at that age that schools start to think they are not going to get a level four… so they get labelled as having SEN… It’s a real incentive to do this when schools don’t hit their floor target.

Thus does an educational establishment, incentivised by a political establishment, place career and reputation before the health and welfare of the nation’s children.

The Mail added:

The number of prescriptions for Ritalin leapt from 158,000 in 1999 to 661,463 in 2010, (the Blair/Brown years) NHS figures have revealed.

Psychologists said they were seeing a sharp rise in the number of children below the age of six, and some as young as three, being prescribed the drug. They also warned dosages were getting stronger…

Ritalin… can cause nausea, fatigue and mood swings and has also been linked to suicides…

Psychologists also warned that children with behavioural problem were increasingly prescribed Ritalin in conjunction with anti-depressants. This was despite ‘little to no evidence about the effect which these cocktails of drugs are having on the development of children’s brains’.

Almost 1.7million children aged 16 and below in England (21 per cent) were recorded with special educational needs in 2011.

This is what the well-programmed robot votes for.