PDA

View Full Version : What Is Your Nasal Index?

Vojvoda
Monday, December 1st, 2003, 03:35 PM
http://www.geocities.com/pbateman852/ni.htm

nasal length:60mm
nasal breadth:30mm

Mine is 50-leptorrhine.

Allenson
Monday, December 1st, 2003, 03:45 PM
http://www.geocities.com/pbateman852/ni.htm

Mine is 50-leptorrhine.

Your nose is Very leptorrhine actually.

Here's my info on this matter:

nasal length: 59mm

nasal breadth: 34mm

nasal index: 57.6

Pomor
Monday, December 1st, 2003, 04:01 PM
Mine is narrow, but at the same time short, what makes him mesorrhine I assume.

Nordhammer
Monday, December 1st, 2003, 05:38 PM
nasal length (from under the brow to the end of the nostril connection):
65mm very long

nasal breadth (from nostril edge to nostril edge):
38mm broad

nasal index: 38/65x100 = 58.4 *clown horn*

Leptorrhine, nostrils compressed making the Hallstatt Nordic "oval-shaped opening", but fleshy, probably from the Brünn or Borreby influence.

"Why is yours longer than mine? :( " "Genetics. ;)"

Nordhammer
Monday, December 1st, 2003, 05:40 PM
Mine is narrow, but at the same time short, what makes him mesorrhine I assume.

Why assume, you own a ruler don't you? :)

Nordhammer
Monday, December 1st, 2003, 05:53 PM
B. Nose form

Heights:

x-49mm : very low
50-52mm : low
53-55mm : moderate
56-58mm : high
59-x mm : very high

Breadths:

x- 30mm : very narrow
31-33mm : narrow
34-36mm : medium
37-39mm : broad
40-x mm : very broad

Source:

Egon Freiherr von Eickstedt, Die Forschung am Menschen.Teil1: Geschichte und Methoden der Anthropologie.
Stuttgart: Ferdinand Enke, 1940. - courtesy of Frans

Nasal Index

less than 70 - leptorrhine

70.0 to 84.9 - mesorrhine

85 and over - platyrrhine (chamaerrhine)

cosmocreator
Monday, December 1st, 2003, 06:00 PM
nasal length (from under the brow to the end of the tip):

Nose length is not measured to the tip but to where the nose connects to the upper lip.

Pomor
Monday, December 1st, 2003, 06:09 PM
Why assume, you own a ruler don't you? :)

Yeah, I have a ruler I just didn't want to do strange manipulations with a ruler and my nose in front of everybody here, anyway I measured it -

W - 35mm
L - 50mm

NI - 70, looks like it is on the border between leptorrhine and mesorrhine. I own a typical Borreby nose - short with a round tip :)

Nordhammer
Monday, December 1st, 2003, 06:28 PM
Nose length is not measured to the tip but to where the nose connects to the upper lip.

Yeah, I actually did measure that as well, but measuring again and counting every little mm, I come to 65 at the outermost skin connection of the nostril to the upper lip.

But what about those people whose tip goes past their nostril connection to the upper lip, such as Armenoids?

Nordhammer
Monday, December 1st, 2003, 06:34 PM

So what's yours, hotshot? ;)

cosmocreator
Monday, December 1st, 2003, 06:46 PM
So what's yours, hotshot? ;)

Well, since you asked...

Nasal Height = 53mm
Nasal Breadth = 35mm

So what does that make me?

Nordhammer
Monday, December 1st, 2003, 06:51 PM
Well, since you asked...

Nasal Height = 53mm
Nasal Breadth = 35mm

So what does that make me?

Well, let's see...

Nasal Height = 53mm moderate
Nasal Breadth = 35mm medium

35/53x100 = 66 leptorrhine

Allenson
Monday, December 1st, 2003, 07:28 PM
I forget where this image came from but it's interesting nonetheless. I'm sure some will recognize it. Is it from Gunther?

Nordhammer
Monday, December 1st, 2003, 08:15 PM
I forget where this image came from but it's interesting nonetheless. I'm sure some will recognize it. Is it from Gunther?

My profile is basically straight, and gets thicker near the end.

I would say I'm closest to:

1h
2a
3a

http://www.skadi.net/~nordhammer/Mark's%20nose%20form.jpg

Phill
Monday, December 1st, 2003, 09:59 PM
My nasal index is 64.8

sud
Monday, December 1st, 2003, 10:03 PM
Mine is 53 mm long and 34 mm wide.
The index is 64. I think.

Nordgau
Tuesday, December 2nd, 2003, 02:15 PM

I don't think so. At least I can't remember having seen this image in one of his books. Must be from some other race book of that time...

As far as I could figure out with my inadequate methods (I knew that the pair of compasses from the math lessons would be good one day for something), I have got 33 mm nasal breadth and 55 mm nasal length = 60 (leptorrhine).
My nose is straight and narrow, but gracile and not too high, as my whole facial look is rather soft and juvenile. I look ten years younger than I am. I guess one day I have to throw my pic into the arena here and hope that Kaiser Franz turns his thumb up. Classificaturi te salutant.

In that image my nasal profile (Abb. 23) comes closest to the seventh, the one before last:

http://www.forums.skadi.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=5308

Nordgau
Tuesday, December 2nd, 2003, 05:19 PM
Classificaturi te salutant.

Hmmm, I guess classificaturi is incorrect. I need "those who will be classified", not "those who will classify".

Nordgau
Tuesday, December 2nd, 2003, 06:09 PM
Hmmm, I guess classificaturi is incorrect. I need "those who will be classified", not "those who will classify".

Okay, I say "Qui classificabuntur te salutant". Has anyone got a better idea, or isn't Latin taught anymore at American schools? :D

Pomor
Tuesday, December 2nd, 2003, 06:19 PM
Okay, I say "Qui classificabuntur te salutant". Has anyone got a better idea, or isn't Latin taught anymore at American schools? :D

Whatever you say, man, just stop talking to yourself :)

Nordgau
Tuesday, December 2nd, 2003, 06:31 PM
Hm... I wonder if I should drink a cup of coffee now... :)

Nordgau
Wednesday, December 3rd, 2003, 05:54 PM
According to the climate rule of Thomson-Buxton, narrow nases develope in cold+dry climates, less narrow in cold+wet and hot+dry climates, very broad noses in hot+wet climates.
In broad noses more air streams faster up in one air pillar, while in narrow noses the in-streaming air is distributed and takes longer to get through. So in narrow noses the air is warmed up and moistened more by the nasal mucous membrans than in broad noses.

Taken from a map which is based on "Biasutti, 1967" (the populations of the continents before the European expansion in modern times):

< 67: Areas in Europe around North and BalticSea; Italy; central Spain; the Near East (Minor Asia, Arabia, Persia); southern Greenland; Eskimo: little areas in the very north of North America and the very east of Siberia;

67-72: central, east, south east Europe; northern Africa; north west India with Pakistan and Afghanistan; central USA; middle and northern Canada; most of Greenland; southern tip of South America(southern Chile and Argentina);

72-77: China; Mongolia; central Asia and eastern Russia; great parts of India, of Egypt and Ethiopia; western USA and Canada; US and Canadian Pacific zone; northern parts of Chile and Argentina;

77-82: Japan; New Zealand; pockets in central Russia; areasin eastern India and northern Indo-China; central Sahara areas; most of the north and central part of South America; Central America and south west USA;

82-92: Indo-China and Indonesian isles; little pockets in eastern India; Sahel zone and east African mountain regions;little pockets in central Brazil and western Mexico;

> 92: Australia and most of Negrid Africa;

Vojvoda
Friday, December 5th, 2003, 02:30 AM
Good post Thorburnulf! Anyone else want to tell us their nasal index? hehe.....

Triglav
Friday, December 5th, 2003, 03:05 AM
Good post Thorburnulf! Anyone else want to tell us their nasal index? hehe.....

Opera crashed 2 days ago when I was writing a reply, so thanks for reminding me again ;).

Breadth: 38 mm
Length: 55 mm

Yielding a nasal index of 69.1 - still leptorrhine

I guess they must be kidding. Everyone who has seen me knows that I have a broad nose. The nostrils are rounded and wide and the tip is fleshy and upturned, although the nasal root is high and the nose is straight with the cartilage almost convex, but not too long.

Maybe I squeezed the callipers too much... ;)

Everyone in my family has a straight nose (the noses themselves typically Noric, Nordic and Alpine).

Nordhammer
Friday, December 5th, 2003, 03:23 AM
Taken from a map which is based on "Biasutti, 1967" (the populations of the continents before the European expansion in modern times):

67-72: central USA; middle and northern Canada

72-77: western USA and Canada; US and Canadian Pacific zone

77-82: south west USA;

I find this a bit peculiar if he's talking about American whites. The majority of whites I see have upper-leptorrhine noses by estimate. Their noses look sufficiently long compared to the nostril width.

Evolved
Friday, December 5th, 2003, 09:40 AM
Nasal height: 4.75 cm
Nasal breadth: 2.85 cm
Nasal index: 60

Lala
Friday, December 5th, 2003, 03:10 PM
nasal height=50 mm
breadth=33 mm

nasal index=66

Nordgau
Friday, December 5th, 2003, 03:24 PM
I find this a bit peculiar if he's talking about American whites. The majority of whites I see have upper-leptorrhine noses by estimate. Their noses look sufficiently long compared to the nostril width.

He isn't. Perhaps I formulated that annotation in paranthesis not 100% clearly understandable, but that world map which I used gives - as many anthropological maps do - the spreading of races and characteristics of autochthon populations, that means that especially the spreading and expansion of the Europeans and the other great population movements in modern times are not taken into consideration. :)

Nordhammer
Saturday, December 6th, 2003, 08:30 PM
He isn't. Perhaps I formulated that annotation in paranthesis not 100% clearly understandable, but that world map which I used gives - as many anthropological maps do - the spreading of races and characteristics of autochthon populations, that means that especially the spreading and expansion of the Europeans and the other great population movements in modern times are not taken into consideration. :)

I skimmed over it...

I see the point of the matter is the influence of environment on the nasal index of the indigenous races.

But I was curious if there was any indication that the environment changed the nose of European races in the New World.

The Black Prince
Wednesday, February 1st, 2006, 09:28 PM
Nasal height = 57 mm
Nasal width = 33 mm

(Width/Height)*100 = Nasal index

Nasal index = 57,89 (leptorrhine)

PS. a poll would be nice here :).

QuietWind
Wednesday, February 1st, 2006, 09:51 PM
I used a ruler, so I could be off.... :D

w = 35
h = 53

index 60.04

Here is a pic of my lovely nose. :P I'm kidding about my nose being lovely. I've never liked it. I always wanted one of those cute little slightly upturned noses.

Arditi
Monday, August 6th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Height 51mm
breadth 34mm

Index 66,6
Leptorrhine.

Mööv
Monday, August 6th, 2012, 05:26 PM
H: 55
W: 40
-------
I: 73

Catterick
Tuesday, April 12th, 2016, 12:47 PM
Around 70 as a guesstimate from using the ruler, which would make me slightly mesorrhine.

Nasal breadth increases with age as well as being a phenotypic maker for race, so its not strictly an important marker of ethnicity without reckoning for age.